Bye Bye Bigelow Proraso Tube

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Bye Bye Bigelow Proraso Tube

Post by brothers »

Evidently it's gone. They've apparently replaced it with Proraso foam in an aerosol can, branded COBigelow. No big surprise that it costs about ten times what you can buy shaving foam for. John Meyer's endless crybaby song has come to pass, no more "waitin' for the world to change". Good luck selling some of that stuff. No criticism of Proraso, but I've still got a nearly full can of some brand or other under my cabinet.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
95%

Post by 95% »

Evidently...apparently.... How sure are you of that, Gary? The Bath & Body Works store near me had both the tube and the can of Bigelow a month ago.

More importantly, how good is the aerosol stuff, and how different from the cream? If it's the same product in a new dispenser - if it can be worked up with a brush in the traditional way - I still would consider it.
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

95% wrote:Evidently...apparently.... How sure are you of that, Gary? The Bath & Body Works store near me had both the tube and the can of Bigelow a month ago.

More importantly, how good is the aerosol stuff, and how different from the cream? If it's the same product in a new dispenser - if it can be worked up with a brush in the traditional way - I still would consider it.
Just stating a fact. The same store I was in this week also had both products on the shelf a month ago. I can't comment on how good it is, and how different from the cream it might be. I didn't buy it.

Porter, give me a call next time you're coming to my town and we'll go have a nice lunch together at the Texas Road House at Penn and Memorial, my treat, then we can walk next door, actually a couple of doors west, to my friendly Bath and Body Works and together we can challenge them to cough it up.

Have a great day, my friend!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
95%

Post by 95% »

That would be a pleasure, Gary. The two products cannot be identical, it's safe to say, because the canned cream would need to contain propellants. Perhaps someone here has tried it and will comment.
Porter
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

There was none on the shelves of either of the two B&B stores I was in when in Syracuse two weeks ago. The mgr thought is was being discontinued, but couldn't recall the details.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jayb

Post by jayb »

Egads! Not again! :roll:
I stopped in B&BW Wednesday and they still had four, or five, tubes of Proraso/Bigelow in stock. I might have to ride by and grab them, or not, since I can get Proraso online cheaper. But it was nice to know that if I were ever in a pinch that I could find it there.
Justin
ateace

Not Bye Bye after all

Post by ateace »

I stopped by the Bigelow store in NY earlier tonight and got the true story straight from the source.

They are not discontinuing their cream, made by Proraso.

Bath and Body Works is not dropping the product, either.

According to Ian at Bigelow, their cream is one of B&BW's best selling items and they have trouble keeping it on the shelves.
CJS

Re: Not Bye Bye after all

Post by CJS »

ateace wrote: According to Ian at Bigelow, their cream is one of B&BW's best selling items and they have trouble keeping it on the shelves.
Heard the same thing from the store in Boston. Getting rid of that cream would get rid of a lot of their male demographic
-Chris

"I'm sorry, I thought this was America!"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Just as an aside, their canned foam is pretty much like everyone else's canned foam. Personally, I think that Barbasol is better.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thank goodness it's back in full stride.
Gary

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I "took one for the team" and used a full can of Proraso aerosol foam.

Compared to original Proraso:

Scent better
Menthol better
Shave FAR worse.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

notthesharpest wrote:I "took one for the team" and used a full can of Proraso aerosol foam.

Compared to original Proraso:

Scent better
Menthol better
Shave FAR worse.
It figures; I'll bet the inscription on the can said something like " for the best, most comfortable, closest shave you'll ever have"....... :roll:

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's good to be back with a fresh tube of SC. Better than I remembered. I'm staying with just the tube from now on.
Gary

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Gary,
It bears mentioning that the Gary Effect (constantly thinking your favourite stuff is discontinued and then finding out it's actually not) is much better than the Gordon Effect (naming your favourite after 25 years of using it and it being discontinued the following week). :wink:
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

notthesharpest wrote:Gary,
It bears mentioning that the Gary Effect (constantly thinking your favourite stuff is discontinued and then finding out it's actually not) is much better than the Gordon Effect (naming your favourite after 25 years of using it and it being discontinued the following week). :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
+2 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

You're right about that!
Gary

merkri

Post by merkri »

The best of all is probably the Wendell Effect, where you get to have your MWF cake and eat it too.