Classic Shaving Lanolin/Wool Fat Shave Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fisherc

Classic Shaving Lanolin/Wool Fat Shave Soap

Post by fisherc »

Classic Shaving has just launched a new artisan shave soap that is made with lanolin/wool fat. Has anyone had a chance to try this and if so would you offer your perspectives?

Thanks,
Chris
Last edited by fisherc on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'm interested to see how this soap fairs. The ingredients seem simple enough although it is not a tallow based soap. They are pretty pricey... $20 per puck.
-Andrew-
jpq5

Post by jpq5 »

I still have a puck of their lime and coconut that came with a bowl that I bought during my very first wet shaving purchase.

That's reminds me I have to get around to trying it. It does smell amazing. Had anyone used any of the regular Classic Shaving soaps?
The difference between genius and stupidity is that
genius has it's limits. ---Albert Einstein
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

jpq5 wrote:Had anyone used any of the regular Classic Shaving soaps?
Years ago. It was a functional soap but compared to the others (Tabac, MWF, DR Harris etc) I couldnt go back to it. Could be an entirely different soap these days.
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

The first ingredient is saponified olive oil:it would be surprise if this soaps lathers well.... :cry: :shock:
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

When I first purchased my kit a few years ago, I purchased one of those soaps. It was horrible and burned my face. It took several days for the redness to subside. Probably a side-effect of the kaolin or bentonite clay they use. It smelled good though. Bayrum I think it was.
Regards,
Jani
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

In my mind, there can only be one true woolfat soap.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Aztecface wrote:When I first purchased my kit a few years ago, I purchased one of those soaps. It was horrible and burned my face. It took several days for the redness to subside. Probably a side-effect of the kaolin or bentonite clay they use. It smelled good though. Bayrum I think it was.
That was the regular "Classic Shaving" soap and not the wool fat one, right? (I don't think they even had this wool fat until very recently - just making sure.)
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

notthesharpest wrote:
Aztecface wrote:When I first purchased my kit a few years ago, I purchased one of those soaps. It was horrible and burned my face. It took several days for the redness to subside. Probably a side-effect of the kaolin or bentonite clay they use. It smelled good though. Bayrum I think it was.
That was the regular "Classic Shaving" soap and not the wool fat one, right? (I don't think they even had this wool fat until very recently - just making sure.)
The regular.
Regards,
Jani
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

Teiste wrote:The first ingredient is saponified olive oil:it would be surprise if this soaps lathers well.... :cry: :shock:
It would be a huge surprise. Classic Shaving doesn't exactly have a good track record when it comes to producing a good quality shaving soap.

Also a refill puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat is $13, while the classic shaving product is $20. Why pay more for a knock off of the real thing?
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

Go Slow. Proper Angle. No Pressure.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Teiste wrote:The first ingredient is saponified olive oil:it would be surprise if this soaps lathers well.... :cry: :shock:
That's what came to my mind as well... but you never know. But this one is out for me anyways, as I'm only using tallow based soaps these days.
-Andrew-
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

michiganlover wrote:Why pay more for a knock off of the real thing?
The only good reason would be if the knockoff actually was better. Not impossible, but doesn't seem likely somehow.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

No, given everything that's been said so far, I find it highly unlikely that it is as good as the Mitchell's, let alone better. Of course, Chris will try it anyway....if he hasn't already by the time I type this ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

michiganlover wrote:
Also a refill puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat is $13, while the classic shaving product is $20. Why pay more for a knock off of the real thing?
Good point !
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

notthesharpest wrote:
The only good reason would be if the knockoff actually was better. Not impossible, but doesn't seem likely somehow.
You can say that again -- I'll stick with the original from Yorkshire -- no imitators for this Canadian woolfat lover.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:
You can say that again -- I'll stick with the original from Yorkshire -- no imitators for this Canadian woolfat lover.
When I saw the "wool fat" statement, I was curious, then I realized it is an artisan product with lanolin added. As far as wool fat goes, there is only one, as Wendell and others have already pointed out. Second, if it's lanolin you enjoy, then it won't hurt to spend $20 on Classic's version and for that matter, Prairie Creations also makes an excellent lanolin option with their range of soaps. Regarding creams, Godrej makes a very fine line of shaving creams with lanolin. I'm hoping that Chris will give Classic's version a whirl and post the results. It's probably a good soap.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

jpq5 wrote:I still have a puck of their lime and coconut that came with a bowl that I bought during my very first wet shaving purchase.

That's reminds me I have to get around to trying it. It does smell amazing. Had anyone used any of the regular Classic Shaving soaps?
years ago I had a classic lime coconut and really liked it. got the blend of scent just right. yours might be a new formulation though.
jss

Post by jss »

MWF has nearly an 80 year head start with a very loyal following too....
Best regards,

Julian
brothers

Post by brothers »

The use of the term "wool fat" to associate the new product with the legendary and formidable Mitchell's is quite complimentary to the old war horse of shaving soaps. I am wondering if it is a trademarked term owned by Mitchell's, or if not, if Mitchell's has made a bad mistake by not taking precautions to protect the phrase. When I saw the words, I thought only of MWF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

[/quote]Also a refill puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat is $13, while the classic shaving product is $20. Why pay more for a knock off of the real thing?[/quote]

because it is there.... :lol: