Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

Edwin Jagger vs Muhle vs Gillette super Speed DE Razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.

Edwin Jagger vs Muhle vs Gillette super Speed DE Razors

Postby chris1978 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi everybody,

I haven't had any new posts lately. I have sensitive skin and I was thinking about getting new razors because I'm still using Merkur 38C and the result is pretty good and it make me little red and some razor burns. I'm getting a little tired of this razor. I want to switch to another DE razors so that I can shave comfortable and less irritations. I still using Shark super stainless blade.

Does anyone have experience with EJ and Muhle razors? Was it good? Which one is lighter handle or well balance. I was thinking I would pick Muhle 106 or R89 because the R89 is popular.

What DE razors is better and better models and light weight/better balance? Can you help me to choose? I have a list of DE razors.

Edwin Jagger DE86-Ebony

Edwin Jagger DE87-Ivory

Edwin Jagger De89-Chrome

Edwin Jagger DE89L

Muhle R106

Muhle R89

What about Gillette Super Speed Red tips, Are they good?

Chris
chris1978

Postby notthesharpest » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:06 pm

Try different blades in your 38C. You have almost the perfect razor, but there's a reason the Shark blades are not the most popular.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Postby marsos52 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:11 pm

im sure you will get better info than i can give you.

i have used the older style and the newer style ej's,,the older style head were a tweeked merkur head..i believe the tweeked was the finish only

for me i felt the older ej's where a bit more aggressive and very similar to the 38c you are using now..the newer ej/muhle head is a bit smoother,
meaning just a bit less aggressive

there is a good chance a ej or muhle razor may not change things enough for what you are thinking

the super speed red tip i have never used but i believe the red tip version is the most aggressive of the super speeds

as i read your post you want a smoother less aggressive razor..
if you are getting razor burn and redness first i would suggest looking into your technique.. before trying a new razor...a slight change of blade angle
can change everything thats giving you your shaving problems
also use less pressure and letting the razor shave you can also be a cure too. the 38c is a heavy razor and well balanced so just the weight of the that razor should be all you need to shave comfortable

a regular super speed is a very mild razor and they are common to get.
not a expensive purchase and maybe you should try one as a monitor razor to help you decide if less aggressive is the best choice for you

anyone can learn to shave with a mild razor and anyone can learn to shave with a aggressive razor..its only a mtter of what feels best to the shaver..

if the blade angle and/or the pressure are not correct, its doesnt matter what razor you use,, you will still get irration and razor burn..

there are a couple side roads to think of to.. for example and smoother blade with a aggressive razor or a sharper less forgiving blade with a aggressive razor..

many smf members feel a feather blade is the sharpest blade today..and find they dont work well in some razors.. yet i have been reading the new feather stainless steel razor works well with the feather blade

so for what its worth i hope my words help you to a better more enjoyable shaving experience

marc
marsos52

Postby jww » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:24 pm

+1 -- get your technique sorted first, then look at expanding kit.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jww
Woolly Bully

Postby druphus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:01 pm

I would agree with everyone on your blade choice. I have Shark blades, but they mainly hang on the wall in my bathroom because of their cool packaging. I would try other blades in you Merkur - namely, Gillette 7 o'clocks (yellow package), or Super Iridiums.

However, if the merkur is indeed too aggressive for you - both the muhle (excluding the open combs) and the EJ are less aggressive. The new EJs have a muhle head of course. The muhle razors are significantly lighter than the EJ (which I actually prefer).
Regards,
Andy
druphus

Postby notthesharpest » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:26 pm

At the top of the "Safety Razors & Blades" section of the forum, you can find Squire's blade reviews. Anything that gets a high rating from Squire is worth a try.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Postby Odio Barbillas » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:02 am

notthesharpest wrote:... Anything that gets a high rating from Squire is worth a try.

Indeed, by Jove, YES! =D>
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Odio Barbillas

Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Return to Safety Razors & Blades