Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  
 

What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).

Postby brothers » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Jackpot! Good score Chris. Enjoy.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 11039
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Postby celestino » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Last read: Robert Fisk's "The Great War for Civilization" and "Pity the Nation"
Just finished Goeffrey Budworth's "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots and Ropework" and Kousuke Iwasaki's "Honing Razors and Nihonkamisor"
User avatar
celestino
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:54 pm

I am about to start Michael Connelly's Angel's Flight.

I also have a couple of Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels.

Thanks,
Mike
mikey
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:06 am

Postby brothers » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi guys. I"m still working my way through Killing Rommel by Steven Pressfield. Last night I was on p. 99 and enjoyed the following passage: (background --- the British commando team was fully briefed and ready to leave on a special mission to attack Rommel's command post somewhere in the desert near Tobruk. The main character is narrating.)

"By ten at night the trucks are loaded. A last-minute change in orders pulls Popski and his Arabs from the operation; rumour says they will kick off with Tinker, when he returns with T2 patrol, on a different mission. Wrapped and tarped, the vehicles glisten like Christmas packages. I have only helped a little but I feel proud and satisfied. A quick feed, a smoke with Collier and Oliphant, and I'm off for the bunk.

I can't sleep. Midnight comes and goes. I'm thinking about my shaving kit. Why have I packed a razor? There'll be no water to shave with. Hairbursh? Pistol? Saved weight would add a pint of petrol. Books. Those I will need. I lay out half a dozen, including Paradise Lost, The Sun Also Rises, and Stein's manuscript, which I carry for luck. At 02:45 I'm up and pacing. I shave one last time, dress and start on foot for the motor yard."


Note: the reason he is taking books is because they'll spend very long periods of time traveling through the endless desert, aboard tanks and trucks, and sometimes they stop for long periods of time for one reason or another.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 11039
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Postby dosco » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Add Kill or Capture: How a Special Operations Task Force Took Down a Notorious al Qaeda Terrorist, by Matthew Alexander

to the "finished" list. Excellent and informative book.

Just started:
How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, to Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq, by Matthew Alexander and John Bruning
User avatar
dosco
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:02 am
Location: Maryland

Postby fallingwickets » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks for the good post Gary

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
User avatar
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb
 
Posts: 7108
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:59 am

Postby jww » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:13 am

fallingwickets wrote:Thanks for the good post Gary

clive


+1
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
User avatar
jww
Woolly Bully
 
Posts: 9985
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:49 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Postby GA Russell » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Finished tonight for the MobileRead book club Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
User avatar
GA Russell
 
Posts: 2547
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby brothers » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:54 am

Just finished Killing Rommel. Now getting ready to start reading Separation of Power by Vince Flynn.
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 11039
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

A good read

Postby slackskin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Most recently finished The Civil War by Ken Burns. Fascinating, reveals many details not taught in school, definitely NOT a dry chronology of dates and places. Highlly recommended.


Currently reading The Federalist Papers -- again, not having read them since high school in the 60s.

With a little age behind me now, and a different perspective on life compared to a high school kid's point of view, I find them fascinating. Although originally written to support the passage of the US Constitution, they are very timely today in my view. Ponderous language, difficult to plow through, but worth the read for two reasons: (1) the content itself and (2) the fluent writing style which reveals wordsmithing not often found nowadays. Highly recommended. Free (or almost free) on the Amazon Kindle.
slackskin
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:27 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Postby Kyle76 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:33 pm

brothers wrote:Just finished Killing Rommel. Now getting ready to start reading Separation of Power by Vince Flynn.
Gary, I finally ordered Killing Rommel. Should be here soon.
Jim
User avatar
Kyle76
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:11 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Up next is David Baldacci's The Sixth Man.

Thanks,
Mike
mikey
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:06 am

Postby jww » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:37 am

Slowed up my reading given my devotion to the NCAA men's basketball tournament. Still on the Bernard Cornwell Saxon series -- started book 3 last weekend. They continue to be enjoyable reads which I find to be quite well written, with outstanding research backing them up.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
User avatar
jww
Woolly Bully
 
Posts: 9985
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:49 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Postby maskaggs » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:25 pm

brothers wrote:Hi guys. I"m still working my way through Killing Rommel by Steven Pressfield. Last night I was on p. 99 and enjoyed the following passage: (background --- the British commando team was fully briefed and ready to leave on a special mission to attack Rommel's command post somewhere in the desert near Tobruk. The main character is narrating.)

"By ten at night the trucks are loaded. A last-minute change in orders pulls Popski and his Arabs from the operation; rumour says they will kick off with Tinker, when he returns with T2 patrol, on a different mission. Wrapped and tarped, the vehicles glisten like Christmas packages. I have only helped a little but I feel proud and satisfied. A quick feed, a smoke with Collier and Oliphant, and I'm off for the bunk.

I can't sleep. Midnight comes and goes. I'm thinking about my shaving kit. Why have I packed a razor? There'll be no water to shave with. Hairbursh? Pistol? Saved weight would add a pint of petrol. Books. Those I will need. I lay out half a dozen, including Paradise Lost, The Sun Also Rises, and Stein's manuscript, which I carry for luck. At 02:45 I'm up and pacing. I shave one last time, dress and start on foot for the motor yard."


Note: the reason he is taking books is because they'll spend very long periods of time traveling through the endless desert, aboard tanks and trucks, and sometimes they stop for long periods of time for one reason or another.


I read that a few years ago. Really interesting book, especially the Maori names used for the battle units as I recall them.

I'm working through a number of things - I have a problem of wanting to read multiple books at once. John Tracy Ellis's American Catholicism, John Le Carre's A Small Town in Germany, Star Wars: Riptide, and The Greatest Game Ever Played all currently occupy my shelf.
Regards,
Mike
User avatar
maskaggs
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:29 pm
Location: University of Notre Dame

Postby fallingwickets » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:30 am

Slowed up my reading given my devotion to the NCAA men's basketball tournament.


http://i.imgur.com/Bz2KR.png
de gustibus non est disputandum
User avatar
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb
 
Posts: 7108
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:59 am

Postby JayTrek » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:26 am

Enough...by Patrick Rhone.
User avatar
JayTrek
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:38 am
Location: Decatur, AL

Postby jww » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:32 am

fallingwickets wrote:
Slowed up my reading given my devotion to the NCAA men's basketball tournament.


http://i.imgur.com/Bz2KR.png


Yes -- I often witness the intervention of Providence in many such situations. A thing of pure beauty.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
User avatar
jww
Woolly Bully
 
Posts: 9985
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:49 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Postby brothers » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:12 am

I seldom post this, but: +1 Wendell!
Gary
brothers
 
Posts: 11039
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Postby Kyle76 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:51 pm

jww wrote:
fallingwickets wrote:
Slowed up my reading given my devotion to the NCAA men's basketball tournament.


http://i.imgur.com/Bz2KR.png


Yes -- I often witness the intervention of Providence in many such situations. A thing of pure beauty.


Providence? They didn't even make the tournament this year.
Jim
User avatar
Kyle76
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:11 am
Location: North Carolina

Postby jww » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:34 am

Kyle76 wrote:Providence? They didn't even make the tournament this year.


Oh you are sooooo funny.

Their old coach and key player have done quite well though.

Image
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
User avatar
jww
Woolly Bully
 
Posts: 9985
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:49 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

PreviousNext

Return to The Gentlemen's Parlor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest