Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

Longtime Sprint user, thinking of switching

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).

Longtime Sprint user, thinking of switching

Postby Sam » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:27 pm

Well, with the divorce, I dont have to worry about plans and such. So I have a 450 anytime minutes, unlimited night and weekend, texts and data, for $70 a month. I see that you can somehow maybe get on a Framily plan for $50 for unlimited talk. I have never used 1 gig of data in a month, and came a few thousand KB short of it once. I also see AT&T has unlimited talk and data plans, prepaid, for like $50 a month.

So any suggestions? I dont travel all that much and if I do, its to a big city like Atlanta, or Nashville, or NYC or St, Louis. I may drive in some remote areas but from what I see, Sprint lags as far as coverage to ATT and Verizon and maybe equal to TMobile.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Longtime Spring user, thinking of switching

Postby Gene » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi Sam...At Christmas last, while all the family was in one place, we switched our family plan from Sprint to T-Mobile.

I checked as best I could - and they seem to have the best overall deal. Verizon has what is likely the best overall call quality/performance, but pricing was more than we could justify. AT&T was pretty expensive, too.

We have been satisfied with T-Mobile so far. Works fine here at the house, and everywhere I have traveled, too.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Gene

Postby Sam » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Yeah, I think it is a choice of staying with Sprint and maybe going to the Framily, or T Mobile. T Mobile probably has the lowest cost of an all umlimited plan, $60, which is $10 less than what I pay now. Maybe better nationwide coverage, and faster 4g LTE in Memphis and other major cities. But if I get on a Framily, I can get down to like $35 or so, and since I dont do more than 1G of data, probably good. Id only change I guess if I decide to get an upgrade from a Iphone 4 to the Iphone 5 variants, wait on the 6, or go with the Samsung Galaxy 4 or the new 5 coming out. I can sign a new 2 y ear contract with Sprint and get the newer phones a little cheaper.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Postby slackskin » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Sam - have you considerd Consumer Cellular? Consumer Reports rates it Number One nationwide three years in a row (yes, over AT&T, Verison, Sprint and T-Mobile). We love it and wish we had changed sooner. Rates are about half as much. Coverage is great. And if you have an AT&T compatible phone, you can get a free Consumer Celular SIMM chip (for free) in the mail and try it out on the cheap. Customer service is US-based and native English speakers -- which is a plus too. Visit http://www.consumercellular.com

I don't work for them, so no conflict of interest. I just am a satisfied customer .
slackskin

Postby kronos9 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm on a TracFone plan. For $22 a month I get 375 minutes of talk, 375 texts, and 375 megabytes of network data (when wi-fi isn't available). I don't consume anywhere near that much service and so the remainder rolls up into the next month. My service rides on Verizon's network so coverage isn't much of an issue.
Ed
kronos9

Re: Longtime Sprint user, thinking of switching

Postby ThePossum » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:41 am

Sam,

Wife and I have Verizon and have since like day 1 some 15 yrs or so ago. Would not change as they seem to meet my needs and I am able to spend what they ask for as far as cost.

But I realize that many guys want to go lean from the cost stand point. So when you talk about Tmobile I want to let you know that their network is great if you live and use it in metropolitan areas. My daughter and son in law who reside in Chicagoland have Tmobile and love it but they have real problems when the come back to our home in WPa. I live in a rural area and coverage is spotty to say the least. So if you don't need coverage in rural areas etc then Tmobile might be the best deal.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
ThePossum

Postby Sam » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:46 am

Bryce, I read that. I am in Memphis, and maybe when I drive out of town Im in a rural area, but that may be like 10 days out of the year that I am driving like that? Even then, 80% of the time its on a federal interstate.

I am thinking of maybe going over to another carrier. I am in Memphis and I dont use my Iphone 4 for movies, or really even music (can use the tablet or satellite radio for that). Anyway, I was reading up and seeing maybe another carrier, like Cricket or TMobile can give me the same or better coverage and faster data speeds. I have occassionally had a dropped call, but always assumed it was the building I was in or an elevator or something.

So how can I compare coverage for Memphis between Sprint and other carriers?

Also, with 4g LTE, whatever that is, if I sign up for a 1 gig plan, is that speed or how much data I use? I can get a $50 plan at Tmobile for all talk, text and 1 gig of data and I read that they have faster speeds? and that is cheaper than what I pay Sprint.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Postby Gene » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:12 am

Sam - 3G, 4G, LTE, etc are the network speeds, the 1 Gig is data you can consume.

We have a data cap - forget if it's one or two gig. One of my kids hit that 8 days in the first month - she forgot to rest the WiFi to use her home network. They texted her to tell her what was happening. No extra charges, but her speeds were reduced until the new billing cycle started. She

We live about 20 miles south of Austin - and have no issues with anything on the T-Mobile system. Maybe still not rural enough, don't know. I have traveled a bit, too...and no issues.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Gene

Postby Sam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:13 am

Well, I posted in another thread that I have to wait until 9-1-14 for a phone upgrade. If they dont make me change plans, Ill stick with Sprint since I can pay $200 for an Android phone instead of having to pay $650 which means $19 a month or so on my plan at a new carrier (The difference in $650 less $200 Sprint would give me). I have 750 anytime minutes and unlimited text and data for $72 a month, and only once have I gone over 1 gig. I can choose a Tmobile plan for $50 and get unlimited talk and text and 1 gig of 4LTE data, before they throttle it down . $40 if I want 500mb of 4LTE and most of the time, I could switch the phone and use WIfi.

I also see Boost, Virgin Mobile and Metro PCS have great prices but someone said that they rent the back end of tower space and so your connectivity is an issue
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Postby Sam » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:51 am

Switched yesterday to t mobile. There people already notice that my calls are so much clearer. I did give up unlimited data for unlimited calling but I only one time exceeded 1gig of data. I have now 1gig of data and then after that I get throttled. With t mobile I believe the throttled speeds on my new HTC one will be faster than then 3g of my old iPhone 4
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Postby brothers » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:17 pm

We've been on T-Mobile for a while now. Seems like a good carrier.
Gary
brothers

Return to The Gentlemen's Parlor