Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

My Simpson's Wee Scot - Mighty Midget!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!

My Simpson's Wee Scot - Mighty Midget!

Postby Crag » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:09 pm

I'd like to share my findings about my new Simpson's Wee Scot brush I recently acquired. I have been using it exclusively since I got it two weeks ago and I must say that is a mighty little brush! My first reaction upon opening the Simpson's box was "Yeah Right", but my skepticism quickly faded with its first use. For once in my life I didn't get lather up my nose or in my ear! I was able to generate a ton of lather with it on my Trumper Almond Puck and had enough lather in the brush for three good passes. I did re-load the brush for my normal 4th clean-up pass, but thought it was amazing for how small it actually is to hold so much well lubricated lather.

I know it must have been a shining star for Alex Simpson to sign his name on it, but I had no idea just how powerful this little guy was. I paid just under $36 including first class shipping, and think that this brush is spectacular for the price, and easily demolishes other brushes in this price range.

I would highly recommend this brush for ANYONE looking for a new brush...but beware that this guy is SMALL. So small, in fact, that my 4-YO thought I bought it as a toy for him! I felt so guilty about "taking" it away from him that I actually bought him one to "shave" with me, it is that good!

This brush will be great in my rotation, and it would be great in your, too!

Any thoughts or questions?
Matt

"The 'Path of least resistance' is what makes rivers and Men crooked."
--Ezra Taft Benson
Crag

Postby m3m0ryleak » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:37 pm

I sold my Wee Scot sometime ago, I did not find it terribly effective but then again my lathering abilities have much improved. I like my knots to be 24mm
or greater these days and no longer put lather in my ears, although there is hair there in much need of trimming :lol: .
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
m3m0ryleak

Postby bernards66 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Matt, Just a point of information. The original Wee Scot was even smaller than the brush you have....yep. Our mad Dutch physican has one too, and he won't part with it for nothin'.
Regards,
Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Postby Crag » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:13 pm

bernards66 wrote:Matt, Just a point of information. The original Wee Scot was even smaller than the brush you have....yep. Our mad Dutch physican has one too, and he won't part with it for nothin'.
Regards,
Gordon

Good golly...smaller? :shock: I should have snapped up that vintage butterscotch that was on here a while ago! If only I had known... :roll:
Matt

--Ezra Taft Benson
Crag

Postby drP » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:47 am

Peter
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Postby Silky Glide » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:47 pm

I love using my Wee Scott. I normally use it with soaps for face lathering, either loading it from a puck in a bowl or by applying shaving stick directly to my face. I usually soak the brush well while showering and find that I need to ensure that I have loaded enough product. Once I get going, this little sport never fails to generate enough lather for two and usually three passes. Notwithstanding the short length of the knot, I do not find it to be scrubby at all.
Silky Glide

Postby Crag » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:02 pm

drP wrote:Image

Peter...Is that one coming my way? :lol:

I would love to try it! I bought a Wee Scot for my 4 year old son Ezra so he could "shave" with me... It is actually quite funny...we were at the store today and my son saw a package of multiblade Gillette razors and asked what they were...when I told him they were razors he said "Oh...No thank you. When I grow up I'm going to shave like you daddy...I love my Ezra-sized brush and razor"!

He has a Wee Scot all his own, and a travel Tech 3-piece loaded with a cardboard blank that he shaves with... He LOVES making lather and is pretty good at it, too. =D> Of course, he is 4 and also likes to lick the brush...:shock: He says he is cleaning his tongue....

I'm "grooming" him to be like me, pun intended.
Matt

--Ezra Taft Benson
Crag

Postby Teiste » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:11 pm

drP wrote:Image

This is one of the priceless pictures that once in a while pop up in the shaving boards.Thanks a lot for posting it.I cant believe that the original Wee Scott it was even smaller than the actual one.
I have been thinking in getting one for when I travel,but my last week away in California, I used the Vie Long 16726 and it was really good (I have the one with 20mm knot 46 mm loft,instead of the 23mm knot and 48mm loft),even when I find it "smaller" than the brushes that I usually use,so I dont know how would it be to make lather with a 14mm knot brush.I bet that I would have to use one to find it out.
Teiste

Postby Straight Arrow » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:08 am

I thought about getting a Wee Scot for a long time and kept believing the urge would pass but I couldn't shake it. I finally broke down and bought one and it arrived at my door a few days ago. I have used it twice, face lathering with Yardley soap. It's too early to make wholly conclusive comments but I can say that it is a very well built brush and I am enjoying the trial very much.
Rich
Straight Arrow

Postby ZethLent » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Crag wrote:... He LOVES making lather and is pretty good at it, too. =D> Of course, he is 4 and also likes to lick the brush...:shock: He says he is cleaning his tongue....

This is priceless! It makes me want to get one for my 3 year old.
笑う門に福来る。
ZethLent

Return to Shaving Brushes