Blade Buffing

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
RichLee

Blade Buffing

Post by RichLee »

Evening all...

So what _is_ blade buffing? I'm new to wetshaving with a DE, so maybe I don't need to know (When you are ready, Grasshopper), but I keep coming across references. Anything to help me tidy up after 3-4 passes without overdoing it especially below the edges of my mouth (I tend to leak blood rather than cut myself) would be helpful.

Thanks
Rich
SidSeizure

Post by SidSeizure »

I too would like a clarification of what blade buffing is. From reading other posts where it's mentioned, I think I have an idea of what it is, but I'd like it spelled out more clearly before I actually attempt it with a really sharp blade above my jugular.

Scott
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Although I am relatively new to all this, my understanding is that you make one pass over a specific area and then without lifting the razor of your face you move it back from where you just started then you bring it forward again over the same area again. I believe it is intended for those specific area which are problematic or where you may still have stubble remaining after you have made all your passes.

Hope I was able to help.

Erik :lol:
SidSeizure

Post by SidSeizure »

Yes, Erik, that was what I thought it was. Now to work up the nerve to actually try it. My Feather loaded slant bar probably isn't the ideal candidate to start with.

Scott
javyn

Post by javyn »

Without lifting up?! That sounds a little dangerous. Occasionally I've done short, light, quick strokes over a problem area, but I do lift the razor.
John
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

On the backward stroke you angle the the razor up a touch so that it doesn't drag on your skin. My understanding is that the blade should only be on your face for the forward stroke. But like I said I am fairly new to this and I'm sure someone else will affirm or correct me. I do remember asking someone on this and that is what i was told. Look here:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... de+buffing

Erik
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

SidSeizure wrote:Yes, Erik, that was what I thought it was. Now to work up the nerve to actually try it. My Feather loaded slant bar probably isn't the ideal candidate to start with.

Scott
Scott, NO don't use a Slant Bar with a Feather to blade buff. My God man if you want to give away blood go to the Red Cross they can use it.

I don't blade buff often, but when I do I just re-lather the spot I missed that has some stubble and I use my M3 with motor to go over that spot over and over in every direction to get it smooth. I am lucky that my old face has tough skin so I can do this without getting razor burn.

If you just have a DE adjustable you can turn it down to 2 or 3 and do the same thing. That's what works for me.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Blade buffing involves going quickly back and forth over a difficult area of skin to get the closest shave. Do this after you've done the basic beard reduction with whatever number of passes you use. Don't lift the razor on the back stroke (you can't cut yourself going backwards). It may help to put an additional application of shaving cream, shaving soap, or something such as CAR's cutting balm. It sounds scary, but I've never cut myself doing blade buffing.

Ken
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

Perhaps someone who uses blade buffing on a daily basis can elaborate more fully. If anyone can readily post a link to the discussions on this topic from this and other boards, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
SidSeizure

Post by SidSeizure »

I'll have to try this tonight with my Gillette Adjustable or SuperSpeed. My Feather blades and slant bar will be placed far, far away.

Scott
RichLee

Post by RichLee »

Thanks for the replies. It would appear that I already do this - although in my case its out of impatience rather than intentiaonal, and I almost always overdo it and end up with at least a little discomfort.

Patience Grasshopper.

Rich
FrancisDeSales

Post by FrancisDeSales »

If you'll pardon the comparison, this "blade-buffing" sounds remarkably similar to the technique my dad taught me...

For taking the scalded hair off of a hog before butchering. Of course, we used carbon knives for that, not razors. And we didn't worry about skin irritation; it just tenderizes the skins before you get them in the rendering kettle.
"The Catholic Church is like a thick steak, a glass of red wine, and a good cigar."
[GK Chesterton].