Today I have 3 brush projects to complete

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Today I have 3 brush projects to complete

Post by brothers »

1. My dad's first shaving brush, an Erskine, probably from the late 1930s or early '40s. It's the red one in the first picture.
2. The Omega 20106 gets a new head of hair today, as does the
3. Rooney Finest.

Last edited by brothers on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Looks like you have your hands full Gary. I take it you won't be sending the Rooney back to Mr. Sabini?
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

By the time this interim photo is posted, these new knots will be in epoxy and on their way to tomorrow's test latherings. The most time consuming and tedious work was in the 70 year old Erskine brush. I had to remove the hard stump from the handle, then I had to enlarge the opening from about 22 to 27mm, approximately 1 1/8 inch, and then I dressed the lip to make it smooth and flat. Then I used ultra fine sandpaper and Flitz polish to remove imperfections and make it as shiny as possible.

Last edited by brothers on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:Looks like you have your hands full Gary. I take it you won't be sending the Rooney back to Mr. Sabini?
Yeah, I'll hold onto it. I don't exactly have an address to return it to anyway. The most recent communication from Mr. S was a couple of weeks ago acknowledging my earlier communication to him, and his statement that he wanted to rectify the situation. I think he's a busy guy and I'm sure these after-the-fact follow-ups aren't the first thing he thinks about every morning when he goes off to work. I just took the only course open to me and bought the biggest "Finest" knot I could find to replace the other one.
Gary

gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

gary, are these TGN knots? they look really nice especially the one going on the rooney but my guess is you'll like the everlast best :lol:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brothers

Post by brothers »

At the end of the day, here are the final products. I am so proud to own these brushes. I can't wait to try them all.

Brush 1. Daddy's old Erskine. The Super Silvertip knot measures 27 x 62 mm. I got this one from TGN. I think he'd be thrilled to see it all decked out with its big new bushy badger brush head.

Brush 2. The Omega 20106, formerly loaded with a huge boar knot. This one never got used, so I replaced it with a 27 x 65 Silvertip knot from PC Woodcraft & Pens.

Brush 3. The Rooney Finest. TGN supplied the 27 x 62 Finest knot.

Last edited by brothers on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm sure many of you guys have noticed that the knots are listed at 27mm wide at the base. Of course they are all listed by the sellers as 28. I think they round up, even if it's only a couple of tenths of a millimeter over 27. I measure mine with a digital caliper, and I only round up when the measurement exceeds .5 mm.
Gary

diggity

Post by diggity »

That Rooney is looking especially sharp. Love that you have your dad's brush and are able to use it. THAT is the best!
Nathan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

All things of beauty. Nicely done.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Nice!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Nice and well done. Looking forward to reading the lathering reviews

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Rooney Finest TGN has been used successfully the past two mornings with a cream. It's not as long and soft (floppy in a very good way) as the Rooney knot was, and also, it's got more backbone. Regardless, it does produce a nice ample supply of lather, and at the end when I squeeze out the excess, it seems to have some left over, which is nice. It's going to be a fine brush, just not over-the-top, like it was. I'm going to keep using it for a few more days with a cream, then I'll take it on a run with some soaps, just to see how it does.
Gary

celar36

Post by celar36 »

Really good work!
Jack
Fido

Post by Fido »

brothers wrote:The Rooney Finest TGN has been used successfully the past two mornings with a cream. It's not as long and soft (floppy in a very good way) as the Rooney knot was, and also, it's got more backbone. Regardless, it does produce a nice ample supply of lather, and at the end when I squeeze out the excess, it seems to have some left over, which is nice. It's going to be a fine brush, just not over-the-top, like it was. I'm going to keep using it for a few more days with a cream, then I'll take it on a run with some soaps, just to see how it does.
What is the loft on your "new" brush compared with the Rooney Finest?
brothers

Post by brothers »

According to the digital caliper the Rooney was 69 mm. The new TGN knot is 62 mm.
Gary

Fido

Post by Fido »

Gary, by loft, I meant the height from the top of the handle to the highest tips.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Fido wrote:Gary, by loft, I meant the height from the top of the handle to the highest tips.
Yes, sir. That is exactly what I mean also. Now you see why I liked this particular brush. What did you think I meant? :lol:

Peter, just to be clear, I only consider the portion that "sticks out of the handle" to be included in my measurement of the loft. The part that is hidden below the top of the handle that has the base of the knot probably has a technical name, but it's just the glue to me. I am aware that the sellers of replacement knots seem to want to include the whole thing in their advertised loft measurement specs, and that is an important factor that should be considered when placing an order via internet.
Gary

Fido

Post by Fido »

When providing a knot, a supplier will normally quote the diameter at close to the base and the overall length from the bottom of the plug to the top of the tips. I use the term close to the base because the measurement right at the bottom of the glue is often a tiny bit less than the diameter quoted.

As TGN do this, I assumed you were describing the knot as they do and was interested to know how far you had set the knot within the handle.

I see TGN don't list a 27mm Finest at present but they have a 26x65 and a 28x68 so on their terminology I assume yours must be around 27 x 67?
brothers

Post by brothers »

The TGN I bought was the one advertised as 28 x 68. The knot above the handle is very close to 27 x 62 actual dimensions.
Gary

Fido

Post by Fido »

All is clear!

Great work on the brushes. Enjoy!