Slick Tips

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
divotmax

Slick Tips

Post by divotmax »

I don't recall there have been any posts about this, at least none I could find. I have a couple of brushes that have "slick tips." When they get wet, the tips feel almost oily and very slick. They work fine, make good lather and perform like any other good brush, and the lather rinses clean. When dry, the brushes bloom normally and don't have any residue and the tips don't feel slick or oily at all. The tips kind of stick together when they are wet or damp and look kind of strange, but after fully drying they bloom normally. If you placed these two brushes by any other brushes you could not tell any difference. One brush is a two-band super badger from a well-known brush manufacturer and the other is a custom brush which has super badger/finest badger bristles. I have used the brushes regularly for several years, so they have been cleaned by lather usage for a long time, plus I have cleaned them with borax and alcohol dips now and then, so any extrinsic oil additives would have been removed long ago. Usage over the years has not reduced the oily feeling at all.

Seems like I once saw a post that the condition might just be due to the particular breed of badger that has specific bristles like these to shed water, and is inherent to the bristle. Certainly no kind of cleaning I have found makes any difference. Other than being a curiosity, I suppose as long as the brushes function okay there is no reason to do anything to them; they are not shedders and are good face-latherers. I would be interested if anyone else has any brushes like these and what the explanation might be.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Slick Tips

Post by Squire »

Don't recall anything about this condition Bob, certainly never experienced it.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I wonder if those are the gel-like tips referred to by others?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Brian;

I haven't heard the term "gel tips" but it sure would be a good description. The tips do feel like they have a slick, gel feel to them, although nothing comes off on fingers or towels. Strange effect, particularly since it goes away entirely when the bristles are dry. I've never used anything weird on the brushes either to clean them or to lather with. Also strange that one of the brushes is from a name-brand maker and not an off-brand brush.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Hmm --weird that, never heard of it before either.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

The clumping you describe is characteristic of what some call "gel-like" tips. Another telling sign would be some "hooking" on the tips when drying. A gentle brush of the hand across the top and you have a normal bloom, but clumping and hooking occurs during the drying process. If they are the gel-like tips, there's not much you can do to eliminate them. Some guys seek out these tips and would probably buy them from you at a premium.

I have had a couple of brushes like this, and while I liked them initially, in the end I didn't get enough tactile experience from the brushes to fully enjoy the experience. I no longer have those brushes. I know of at least three different well-known brushmakers from whom I received such tips, plus a couple of other sources (including a supplier of knots for custom brushes) that have had such bristle in stock at times. I think it's just luck of the draw, as I ordered two brushes two weeks apart from one maker, and both brushes were made with the same grade of bristle, but one had the gel tips and one didn't. I have seen gel-tip brushes with good "heritage" behind them - ahem - go for a premium price on BST at various forums, FWIW.

Wish I had an explanation as to why the bristles are the way they are - perhaps it has to do with the badgers used, or perhaps there is a treatment done to some otherwise less-premium bristles to improve their feel with this side effect...not that I want to suggest the brushmakers themselves would ever doctor their bristles, rather that perhaps somewhere else in the supply chain this happens.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The old Shavemac XXLs were famous for developing hooked tips, and they were excellent quality brushes. I went off Shavemac a bit when they had to change to the softer, finer hair typically sold as 'super' these days.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Chris, I've never used the old Shavemacs, but my understanding is these hooked "gel" tips are different to those, which as far as I know were unique to Shavemac and that era. I may be wrong, but from what I have read, most guys have not experienced anything quite like the old Shavemacs. I wish "soft" and "fine" didn't have to go together as they seem to now. Makes for overly dense brushes or else something too soft to really "feel" in use.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've heard of sneaky badgers so I guess there could be slick ones.
Regards,
Squire