Towel Stains

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
churchilllafemme

Towel Stains

Post by churchilllafemme »

Lately some of our darker towels have developed "bleached" areas when I have used them after shaving. So far as I know, I am not using anything with actual bleach in it, just the usual shaving soaps, witch hazel, and aftershaves and balms. I just can't figure out what is discoloring the towels. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, could you identify the problem agent?
_______
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Towel Stains

Post by Squire »

Yes I have and no, never figured it out. At the time I was switching off different products almost daily so was unable to tie the discoloration to a source. Just got some cheap bar towels from Dollar Store.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Same thing happened to me a while back. It hasn't happened since. My only guess would be a chemical reaction of some sort.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I have been using dark brown barber towels that my barber got for me from his barber supply house. Have had no problems with any fading. I use both creams and soaps and even use a towel to dry my brush after rinsing and shaking out the water. Sorry to hear about your problem.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Could it be due to an alum deodorant stick or styptic residue?

Regards,
Stan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Could it be happening in the laundry? Maybe someone adding bleach to the load in close proximity to the towel? Maybe a dry bleach being added that way?

Switch to white towels?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
churchilllafemme

Good thoughts, everyone. I rarely use an alum bar, and my wife only adds bleach to white/light laundry loads when the washer is full of water. But anyway, it's not a major problem, and I'll just do as several folks have suggested and get some cheap white towels to use after shaving.
_______
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hmm, laundry, a possibility. I recall an incident when a person slight of statue but large in temperament grew irritated with our local cleaners and decided she would launder some of my dress shirts. Carefully following the box directions as an afterthought (lack actually) tossed in some of her personal things. Of course my white shirts came out in various irregular shades of pink. I kid you not, you can't make this stuff up.

Being a frugal sort I didn't toss but repurposed the shirts as part of the layered clothing used in our annual pheasant hunts in South Dakota. When a collar peaked out one of my companions (wags all, masquerading as wits) would invariably say, "I see Erica's still learning to do laundry".
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Squire wrote:Hmm, laundry, a possibility. I recall an incident when a person slight of statue but large in temperament grew irritated with our local cleaners and decided she would launder some of my dress shirts. Carefully following the box directions as an afterthought (lack actually) tossed in some of her personal things. Of course my white shirts came out in various irregular shades of pink. I kid you not, you can't make this stuff up.

Being a frugal sort I didn't toss but repurposed the shirts as part of the layered clothing used in our annual pheasant hunts in South Dakota. When a collar peaked out one of my companions (wags all, masquerading as wits) would invariably say, "I see Erica's still learning to do laundry".
Squire that story is just hilarious and is worthy of being posted in the Joke of the Day thread. You forever continue to amaze me with your comments on all sorts of topics. Some serious and others just funny as hell. Thanks for starting my day with a laugh.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I actually did laugh, later, at her take on the whole thing.

"That crummy washing machine ruined our clothes. We need to get a new one".

Why do they always say we when they mean you?
Regards,
Squire
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I haven't kept track of who's who in anyone's family, but if there's anyone in your house using an acne cream, many of those have compounds in them that will bleach fabrics.
churchilllafemme

notthesharpest wrote:I haven't kept track of who's who in anyone's family, but if there's anyone in your house using an acne cream, many of those have compounds in them that will bleach fabrics.
No acne cream users, but it turns out my wife was using OxiClean Stain Remover, so I am now suspecting it as the culprit.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, now that you mention Oxyclean, I think my wife stopped using it after she figured out it might have been the Oxyclean that she was using when it happened.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Note that it might be "Oxyclean plus [something chemically interesting]" causing those stains. If just Oxyclean by itself was bleaching people's things, it probably wouldn't be as popular as it is.