The state of the current English Shaving soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Gareth
Taylorman

Re: The state of the current English Shaving soaps

Post by Gareth » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:55 am

Rufus wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:59 pm
Gary, I agree with you regarding the staff at GFT. Whenever I visit the Curzon Street shop i find the staff standoffish and not terribly helpful. On the other hand, the staff at the TOBS Jermyn Street store couldn’t be more engaged and helpful.
Trumper's has always a bit this way, particularly in the Curzon Street shop. I think, to be fair, it's easy to write it off as rudeness when in fact it is more of a traditional, old-fashioned approach to retailing - a totally unique British style. I can understand why foreign visitors may find it odd.

The other shop (off Jermyn Street) I find to be less formal, but equally less authentic.

In response to the comment about keeping the product behind the counter/glass - this is because the display units in the Curzon Street store are original. Again, it is to respect the authenticity and history of the shop.

jbcohen

Post by jbcohen » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:23 am

Crabtree and Evelyn makes great lather, if it wasn't proprietary to Amazon I would buy it, I have this thing against proprietary (Available from only one source), this is why I don't buy Crabtree and Evelyn and Apple anything. I have nothing against apple just the fact that its proprietary.

John Rose

Post by John Rose » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:08 pm

jbcohen wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:23 am
Crabtree and Evelyn makes great lather, if it wasn't proprietary to Amazon I would buy it, I have this thing against proprietary (Available from only one source), this is why I don't buy Crabtree and Evelyn and Apple anything. I have nothing against apple just the fact that its proprietary.
I don't quite understand your objection there, if you generally like the C&E soaps.
C&E is not really "proprietary" in the same sense as Apple. It's not as if you are forced to use it only with C&E brushes, C&E razors, etc.
If you are going by the "available from only one source" definition, then there are very few things that are not, ultimately.
Don't chase the BBS.
Beware of Ghost Stubble - just ignore it.

jbcohen

Post by jbcohen » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:58 pm

Ok, perhaps you know something I don't and that would not surprise me. I have only been able to find Crabtree & Evelyn at Amazon and that's it. I also really don't like middle men like amazon, however I do do business with re-sellers, such as Safeway. I have not been able to find Crabtree and Evelyn soap at their own website.

Again perhaps you know something that I don't and that would not suprise me.

Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:02 pm

I thought Crabtree had filed for bankruptcy. All the locations over here were closed,
and they were liquidating all their stock. Their shaving line sales had suffered really bad and it was already hard to find in a lot of their stores.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:17 pm

I thought Crabtree and Evelyn discontinued their men's line a while back. I was under the impression everything still available was old stock just getting cleared out.

It's a shame if it's true.

Chris