Best price for Personna prep blades?

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Best price for Personna prep blades?

Post by Pauldog »

This might be the one - about $25 for 100 blades:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332700326063

I just got a similar price from a U.S. seller who either ran out or hasn't relisted yet. A lot of sellers are asking roughly twice as much per blade.
CMur12

Re: Best price for Personna prep blades?

Post by CMur12 »

That's a good price, Paul.

(I have way more blades than I'll ever use - Personna Med Preps included - so I'll probably let this one go. :oops: )

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

price looks decent but the box etc looks a bit shady :D :D

I normally just pay the going rate ($35?) and call it a day

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I ended up getting this one, but not because of reservations about the box in the listing I mentioned before:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323324645625

I had forgotten I had also bid on another box, and got that, too:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153079892899

I was just trying to avoid paying over 50¢ a blade for 10-20 blades. Now I get to have fun selling small quantities for the price I was hoping to get, and maybe make enough surplus to end up with 25 free blades.
brothers

Post by brothers »

If they don't say "hospital use", they're not the ones that are my favorite. Some people call these "med prep" for whatever reason.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on what gary said :)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
pausted

Post by pausted »

Pauldog wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:48 pm I ended up getting this one, but not because of reservations about the box:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323324645625

I had forgotten I had also bid on another box, and got that, too:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153079892899

I was just trying to avoid paying over 50¢ a blade for 10-20 blades. Now I get to have fun selling small quantities for the price I was hoping to get, and maybe make enough surplus to end up with 25 free blades.
Paul, I looked at both listings and I believe these blades are what we commonly call "lab blues". They are good quality and will give good shaves but they do not appear to be "hospital use" blades.
Best regards,

Basil
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I unwrapped one from my first order (the second order hasn't arrived), and it did say "FOR HOSPITAL USE." So that tells us that 74-0002 is one code for these blades. I believe it's the code for a box of 100, based on what I saw at medical supply websites.

What I'm wondering now is how these blades differ from other Personnas made in the USA, and how many different specification sets they have for coated stainless blades.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The online blade store tryablade.com charges 20¢ each for Lab Blues, and 60¢ for Med Preps.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Even though the blades look different from each other, they all say "Hospital" on them. One box has blades with two different kinds of smeary printing. That box came with more than 100 blades, with a darker blue wrapper on the extras.

I tried one from each of the two boxes, and the shaving was the same. I'm assuming from this that I got at least 200 genuine blades.

Personna Hospital Blades.jpg
Personna Hospital Blades.jpg (118.9 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
brothers

Post by brothers »

Paul, do you have a loupe or other means of looking at the edges? If they're counterfeit blades, the edges look terrible when magnified, and they certainly don't cut whiskers. Since you have used these blades and received excellent results, that's a sign of authentic blades. The smudged print on those blades definitely would make one suspicious, though.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Since I got a good shave with a blade from each box, and the blades from the two boxes even "behaved" the same, it's very unlikely they're counterfeits. I sold some to Libertine, who has used this blade before, so I hope he tells me about his results.

I'm not too worried now. I just need to find the right razor for this blade.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Paul, I've liked this blade in all razors I have used it in. My favorite razors are a Mergress and a Rockwell 6C, and I like this blade (along with a number of others) in both.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:51 pm Paul, I've liked this blade in all razors I have used it in. My favorite razors are a Mergress and a Rockwell 6C, and I like this blade (along with a number of others) in both.

- Murray
Same here. These are some of the best. I haven't been using DE blades for quite a while now, but if that changes, it'll be this blade.
Gary