Barbershop professional shaving bar

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Barbershop professional shaving bar

Post by brothers » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:46 pm

This soap was located at a flea market or estate sale sometime in the last 10 or 11 years, and has been tucked away in the plastic bins and forgotten. The photo doesn't show just how yellow it is (In a pretty way). It's got a mild not unpleasant scent. I've never thought of lathering it just for the heck of it. Sodium tallowate is the first ingredient. Do any of our SMF members have any experience with this one?

Gary

SOTD 99%: 12 soaps & creams, SilkSmoke synthetic, General by Colonial razors, Kai & Schick, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444 asb

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: Barbershop professional shaving bar

Post by TRBeck » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:59 pm

I have a puck of the original scent. Couldn't get it to do much better than bubbles. It was a disappointing purchase for me. Great branding. That font! Too bad about the performance.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

brothers

Post by brothers » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 am

Thanks Tim. That explains why it's never mentioned in the forums!
Gary

SOTD 99%: 12 soaps & creams, SilkSmoke synthetic, General by Colonial razors, Kai & Schick, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444 asb

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:14 am

Gary, I would still give it a shot. You may have better luck or better water. I think Roger (Shave4Fun) used this stuff for a while.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

brothers

Post by brothers » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:09 am

Today's impulsive use of the Barbershop soap was, to say the least, very rewarding. Instead of the soap I normally used, I picked up the Barbershop, ran warm water over it and loaded the brush. I was expecting the opposite of what I got. There were no weak suds, instead, it was thick white cream. I built the lather on the palm of my hand, adding tap water to the tips of the brush as the lather continued to grow. Not surprising for a tallow-first ingredient list, but surprising indeed for the thick rich lather that overwhelmed the big synthetic brush. What began as a test lather suddenly became my normally-expected mountain of rich, smooth, creamy shaving lather. Nothing to do at that point except to pick up the razor and shave. No dissipation of lather, nothing but the best I've come to expect from all of my soaps. The post-lathering splash of water on the face followed by the buffing and smoothing latherless pass was as slick, if not more slick, than any other, bar none. Three hours post-shave my face still feels "creamy" in the most positive sense. Too bad this bad boy is long-since discontinued, otherwise I'd be placing an order for backups. And to think I've had this old (faintly scented with something herbal) tallow shaving soap sitting in a box in the closet. Yes, I agree, it's what one would expect with a name like barbershop professional shaving bar. Here's what we call that lather in spades.
SOTD Barbershop 061319.jpg
SOTD Barbershop 061319.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 458 times
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Gary, I may have to dig out my puck again and try it once or twice more. Perhaps I was just having an off week previously.
Regards,
Tim

brothers

Post by brothers » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:47 am

Might be worthwhile. This was a surprise.
Gary