Bath Soap Slivers

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
churchilllafemme

Bath Soap Slivers

Post by churchilllafemme » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:46 pm

Anyone who uses a bath soap or shampoo bar ends up with a sliver that is too small to hold in the hand for use and gets thrown out. Does anyone know how slivers could be combined so that they could be used up more completely instead of being wasted?
_______
John

EL Alamein

Re: Bath Soap Slivers

Post by EL Alamein » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:48 pm

In our house the sliver is used until it's malleable when wet and slapped on the next cake of soap.

Chris

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 pm

EL Alamein wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:48 pm
In our house the sliver is used until it's malleable when wet and slapped on the next cake of soap.

Chris
I think it would have to be quite tiny before becoming malleable.
_______
John

brothers

Post by brothers » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 pm

EL Alamein wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:48 pm

Chris
Interesting idea. Sounds plausible. I should try it next time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: 12 soaps & creams, SilkSmoke synthetic, General V2 by Colonial razors, Kai & Schick, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444 asb

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:36 am

Gosh, I thought everyone did that with soap. Many years ago I did see an ad for a 'money-saving device' of doubtful quality - you dropped in your remnants of soap cakes and it crushed and swaged them into a new bar of soap. They would need to be soaked and/or warmed first to soften them. A sturdy box with a screw down or lever operated top plate to do the squashing. It was the kind of thing that went along with those devices to roll up the end of toothpaste tubes to get the last bits out; the instruments of a waste-not-want-not mentality that younger generations have largely abandoned.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

Rufus

Post by Rufus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:08 am

Our regular bath soap is Cussons Imperial Leather, which has the label firmly embedded in the bar. Even when you get the bar down to the smallest sliver the label remains firmly in place. Thus, in order to combine the sliver with another cake you’d have to cut out the label, which would destroy the sliver; just not worth effort.
Bryan

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Maybe it's the soaps we're using? Just supermarket fair but I've been successful doing it to the likes of the old formula Musgo Real bath soaps as well.

Chris