SOTD June 1 - Jun 7, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Actor07

Re: SOTD June 1 - Jun 7, 2020

Post by Actor07 »

Razor: Original Ikon brass SBS

Blade: Vintage Personna Super Stainless (2)
Attachments
IMG_1897.jpeg
IMG_1897.jpeg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 2160 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

F2EB6C26-440B-4F9B-81D1-E34286ED3E12.jpeg
F2EB6C26-440B-4F9B-81D1-E34286ED3E12.jpeg (886.82 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
SOTD SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 2020

Today I decided to shave with the final, and only, model of Valet Auto Strop (VAS) razor with a safety bar instead of an open comb, the Model VC4. All models of Auto Strop razor are great shavers. The only difference with this, the final model (1941-1946) that I can discern is a bit of a narrower sweet spot when contrasted with its predecessors. The shave yesterday with my Model VB2, made from 1927 into the 1930s by Gillette, marked the beginning of the blade holder indents that precluded the use of any blade but an Auto Strop according to Waits’s Compendium. Models prior to the VB2 work just fine with a modified Gem blade. All VAS razors work with the modern Feather FHS-10 or FAS-10 blade.

It appears that I’m developing an addiction to Nancy Boy Signature Shave cream. The post shave feel continues to build over the course of consecutive shaves, and, dare I say, is easily equivalent to, if not superior to MWF. Your humble narrator was a confirmed MWF super fan, until his encounter with Nancy Boy Signature. This quiet little company out of San Francisco does no traditional marketing, but rather has relied on word-of-mouth to build their business since 2002. This strategy has garnered them numerous awards over the years. Sharpologist acknowledged them in 2020 as “having limited availability, but stellar performance with or without a brush”. I’ve never used it without a brush, but I can see how, given its consistency- thick and rich creamy paste - it would perform well.

After showering and then rinsing with cold water, I pulled out a product I’d purchased several months ago and never used, Chel Cooling Gel, which is apparently equally effective pre or post shave. After applying it to both mug and noggin, I spent some time reorganizing my den before applying the Nancy Boy lather directly Over it with the Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378. The synthetic menthol definitely behaved differently than the real deal. The aloe and other skin-friendly ingredients in the Chel felt great on both shave surfaces and continued to slowly and gradually build throughout the two and 1/2 passes (WTG, ATG, ATG) of the shave. Quite frankly, “me likee”! The one caution provided was to ensure one washed their hands after applying, as it is apparently very eye unfriendly. The VAS VC4, while it does have a narrower sweet spot is an exemplary shaver and gently eased yours truly into velveteen BBS land (VBBS). The Chel cool lasted at least an hour and a half into the morning post shave. I feel clean, extremely cool and refreshed.

RAZOR: Valet Auto Strop (Model VC4)
BLADE: Feather FHS-10
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by Chel Cooling Gel as Preshave
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Nancy Boy Cooling After-Shave Gel.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Back to the TI Eagle 7/8 - love the shave from this; you can't even feel the hair being cut. Homemade gardenia soap, Simpson Polo PL8, and Cacharel Pour l'Homme:
SOTD060620.jpg.jpg
SOTD060620.jpg.jpg (127.67 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Muhle synthetic
Homemade fern soap
Rockwell plate 5
Silver Blue
Lucky Tiger
Monsieur de Givenchy
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau