Sad news here

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Gene

Sad news here

Post by Gene »

Greetings all...

My sister called me last Thursday with the bad news. Her son (and only child) took his life. My nephew was a soldier - after the towers fell he enlisted in the Marines and did 3 combat tours during his tenure. He came out, and spent a year in civilian life - but was not able to readjust. He had flirted with joining a special forces unit as he was leaving the Marines, and ultimately rejoined the military - into the Army as a Green Beret. I asked him about this at the time - as a Marine he could have looked at their Force Recon unit, or maybe the Nave SEAL's. He said he wanted the Green Beret's because he wouldn't have the deploy as long, or as often.

That turned out to be wrong.

For whatever reason - he went to Afghanistan often. I lost count on the number of deployments he actually went on. Each one for over a year. When he wasn't overseas he spent massive amounts of time in schools for additional skills. He family life suffered.

Eventually he broke - and had no choice but the leave the Army. He tried for years to get his mind right. Doctors, therapy, medications - nothing helped. My mother claims she was told that the military gave him (and others) some kind of "drug" - something intended to be beneficial in some way for a combat soldier, but that actually caused mental damage to a lot of folks. I. have no idea what she might mean by this - she can't explain it further. She likened it to a version of Agent Orange from the Vietnam era, but I doubt this. I doubt anyone will ever know.

Matt's paranoia knew no bounds. He could not walk down the aisle at a grocery story for fear of what might lie around the corner. He eventually gave up driving - for fear that "the enemy" was trying to hack his vehicle. He could not hold down any job - how he survived day to day is beyond me.

He attempted suicide a couple of years ago - but the doctors saved him. Sadly, last Thursday he grabbed his backpack and stepped on the tracks in front of an oncoming train. We are told that the engineer tried to stop - and was on his horn non-stop (we are sure Matt knew it was coming at him and heard the whistle - even though he had his back to the locomotive). The detective told my sister that he had 2 Christmas cards - one from my sister and one from my mother - in his backpack, along with some other stuff.

My mom and sister console themselves with the knowledge that his pain is finally gone - but they are pretty crushed by this. I didn't have a deep relationship with him, but I am sad, as well.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Re: Sad news here

Post by CMur12 »

Such terrible news, Gene! What a long, tortuous struggle for your nephew and family.

My heartfelt condolences to you all.

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

I’m so sorry, Gene. My condolences to you and your family.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

So sorry, Gene.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Wow. I am so sorry for your family.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm so sorry, Gene. We expect far too much of our soldiers, and seem to have little idea about how to help them once damaged by PTSD. I guess the only thing we could do about it is to be far more reluctant to commit troops, but that has never been much of a concern for the generals and the politicians.

‘Good-morning; good-morning!’ the General said
When we met him last week on our way to the line.
Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of ’em dead,
And we’re cursing his staff for incompetent swine.
‘He’s a cheery old card,’ grunted Harry to Jack
As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

But he did for them both by his plan of attack.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm so sorry to read about that. You and your family have my deepest sympathy. Far too many of our soldiers are committing suicide, and yes the military gives them drugs in combat to get better results and to "keep them together". One problem, they forget they aren't machines. That's compounded by politicians and brass who say the right words but deep down don't care.

The holidays are the worst times to get through. For a tortured mind... Well, I can't imagine it. Rest assured that he's in a much better place and he's being held in loving arms.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Such a senseless loss of life.
My condolonces.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Gene

Post by Gene »

Thanks to everyone who replied - I appreciate the warm sentiments.

I have spoken to my sister about next steps - but nothing certain has been decided, other than he will be cremated, and there will be a memorial service near Fort Bragg where he was currently living. She and my mom have not taken part in any festivities this year, either. We have their gifts ready to go - but they have asked we wait on visiting. We will see them soon, I hope.

I need to expand on something - my comments about Agent Orange ... I apologize if I seemed to minimize any damage cause to anyone because of their exposure to AO - and I imagine some of you reading this would fall into that group. I know the government used it in Vietnam to aid in jungle clearing. And, just like Roundup today, it appears exposure to this substance can be hazardous to your health.

What I was trying to say is this - the effects of AO were an unintended consequence of something the troops were exposed to, but it was not specifically given to any soldier. Long-term damage might not have been anticipated. Whatever drug Matt got was given to him intentionally. Any harmful effects may have been unintentional, or perhaps a side effect that damaged only a very small percentage of those who got it - and he was one of those unfortunate few.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

What a tragedy. These stories of the military turning on one who served with such loyalty are told far too often. For every one individual who is "cared for" there are many who have been ignored for reasons beyond me.

Like many others, please accept my condolences at this tragic and possibly preventable loss.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Conquering heroes are celebrated when they come home.

Those who were sent out to serve in an unwinnable war are easily forgotten, because people do not like to be reminded of the costs of failure…

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell