Aerospace grade magnesium shaving brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
papiu

Aerospace grade magnesium shaving brush

Post by papiu »

Hello everyone, I’m testing a new material in wet shave world , magnesium it’s a very light material, but as many know the problem is corrosion. It’s getting with some black spots and at the same time looking opaque. I'm really liking the look…

Brutus

Re: Aerospace grade magnesium shaving brush

Post by Brutus »

Aluminium? Maybe.
Titanium? Definitely.

But I never would have thought of magnesium as a material for shaving brushes. :idea:
Maybe that is because (despite being trained as an aeronautical engineer and having worked for many years as an airline pilot) I still associate magnesium with chemistry classes and its violent reactions to water.

I also noticed that is seems to tarnish badly.
If not steel, my money would be on titanium, but that is notoriously difficult to work with and is probably not practical for a DIY project,

B.
Last edited by Brutus on Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Keep it away from naked flames! :D
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I found this:
Is magnesium flammable or explosive?
highly flammable
Magnesium metal and its alloys are explosive hazards; they are highly flammable in their pure form when molten or in powder or in ribbon form. Burning or molten magnesium metal reacts violently with water.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Be that as it may, magnesium alloys are frequently used in aerospace and other applications where the weight advantage is just too tempting.

They are usually magnesium alloy castings, often for gearboxes or transmissions.

Here is a somewhat dated (just like me 8) ) presentation from the 2007 triennial Aircraft Fire and Cabin Safety Research conference: https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/2007Confere ... umPres.pdf

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Mg + H2O = MgO + H2. I doubt that there is really any danger of combustion. My hot water tank has a magnesium rod as a sacrificial anode to protect the copper. A shaving brush is a far cry from a flashbulb.
Rick
papiu

Post by papiu »

Thank you so much for all your comments and opinions. The magnesium shaving brush is now being tested in a pass around and so far so good, everyone is loving it
https://sincortenohaygloria.com/t/pass- ... cial/86287

Thank you so much
brothers

Post by brothers »

I like the look of the stainless steel - copper brushes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444