Penhaligon's Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Penhaligon's Shaving Cream

Post by Chris »

Gents,

Anyone have any experience with this line of creams? I'm debating on ordering some cologne from Penhaligon's and I may try their cream, just wondering if anyone had any opinions on it...
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

What the boss don't know won't hurt her ;) I figure I could sneak a tub by her, since I got so many anyways, she may not notice ;). God, I feel like a junkie trying to get a fix! LOL.
CharlieV

Post by CharlieV »

Chris,

I tried it and found it to just ok. I find Taylors - Trumpers -Coates to be better. My son ended up taking it and uses it as a brushless and likes it a great deal.

Regards,
CharlieV
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

CharlieV wrote:Chris,

I tried it and found it to just ok. I find Taylors - Trumpers -Coates to be better. My son ended up taking it and uses it as a brushless and likes it a great deal.

Regards,
CharlieV
Thanks for the input! Looks like I'll be passing on Penhaligons...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Tsk,tsk.....another sad case....you've plainly got it pretty bad...sneaking around with a furtive expression, and pots of shave cream bulging in your pockets...SCAD, in a fairly advanced state, I'm afraid. BTW, I basically agree with Joel, one buys Penhaligon's shave creams primarily for the scents, although they're perfectly acceptable shave products ( no tubs though, only large tubes, that your wide would probably spot, or Blenheim in the silver lidded glass jar, that she'd definately notice ). Regards, Gordon
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

For what its worth, when I was in Las Vegas several months ago, the Penhaligons inside Caesar's Palace had tubs of shave cream.....
maybe you COULD get away with it.....and ummm Truefitt and Hill is just a short walk away inside the same building....
John P.[/quote]
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Would you describe what you saw in Las Vagas? I'm highly curious. In the almost 14 years that I've been aware of Penhaligons, I've never seen their shave cream in conventional plastic pots. For years, all the gentleman's scent were offered as shave cream, in fine looking glass jars, and sometimes in conventional sized tubes as well. A few years ago, they regretably started phasing out the glass jars, going to oversize plastic tubes instead. Only the Blenheim Bouquet is still offered in a jar. Did they have some sort of special order product that was/is available only in that one shop? Thanks. Gordon
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

bernards66 wrote:Chris, Tsk,tsk.....another sad case....you've plainly got it pretty bad...sneaking around with a furtive expression, and pots of shave cream bulging in your pockets...SCAD, in a fairly advanced state, I'm afraid. BTW, I basically agree with Joel, one buys Penhaligon's shave creams primarily for the scents, although they're perfectly acceptable shave products ( no tubs though, only large tubes, that your wide would probably spot, or Blenheim in the silver lidded glass jar, that she'd definately notice ). Regards, Gordon
I do have a pretty bad addiction problem. I suppose the first step is admitting it :lol:. Is there a 12 step program for a wetshaving addiction??
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Chris wrote:I do have a pretty bad addiction problem. I suppose the first step is admitting it :lol:. Is there a 12 step program for a wetshaving addiction??
I hope not!

:D
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

nteeman wrote:
Chris wrote:I do have a pretty bad addiction problem. I suppose the first step is admitting it :lol:. Is there a 12 step program for a wetshaving addiction??
I hope not!

:D
They can have shaving cream when they pry it from my dead cold hands!

Seriously, I think my wife is planning a "shaving intervention" for me :lol:
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Gordon, I wish I could remember exactly what the cream looked like. As I recall it was in a glass case in a tan tub, very similar to what Taylor/Truefitt/Trumper comes in. The glass case I translated as "expensive"....and I had just spent an UNHOLY amount of money at Truefitt&Hill, so I resisted the temptation.
They also had hard soaps, and were selling badger brushes, stands, and bowls, although I did not inquire into these.
I guess next person to go to Caesars palace will have to visit Penhaligons for us. I bought perfume for my GF as well as some cologne for myself.
John P.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Fascinating. I've never seen anything like that anywhere, including several visits to the Penhaligon's shop in NYC. Hopefully, one of the forum members will visit Las Vagas in the near future, and check it out. And, I mean the NEAR future, because, Chris F. said that he was told that the Penhanligons shop there, is going to be closed shortly. Thanks for getting back to me about this. Regards, Gordon
Philalex

Pen-whatever

Post by Philalex »

What retailer carries the entire line? the pengallions website is a monstrosity.

-Phil

(Todays shave : Taylors Sandalwood, my reference)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Phil, Pretty much the entire Penhaligon's line is currently available at a few Saks stores in major cities, and at the Penhaligon's shops in New York, Beverly Hills, and Las Vagas. Apparently, though, all this will be changing in the near future. I deal with Penhaligon's by phone, except when I visit NYC in person. I've never had any problems when I've ordered over the phone. 1 877 736 4254. Regards, Gordon
Robert G.

Post by Robert G. »

The enitre line can been seen and purchased at Penhaligon's shop in Costa Mesa, California at South Coast Plaza. I was told by the store manager there that the Beverly Hills store is now CLOSED.

Regards,
Robert