Advice sought on application

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Chris73

Advice sought on application

Post by Chris73 »

I'm relatively new to these types of scents. Have dabbled throughout my adult life in conventional "prestige" colognes, but never really had a good experience with any of them. Now I have several bottles of really good stuff (Taylor's, Castle Forbes, etc) and I'm wondering what the proper application is. How many sprays/splashes and where on the body do you recommend? Why? I'm assuming you need more than you would with the chemical-heavy type fragrances I've finally and thankfully abandoned....Does it depend on the type of scent??? Please enlighten me.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Well, obviously, it DOES make some difference how potent the scent is. With the very light classics, like Trumper's Limes or Harris's Classic Cologne, hell, you can splash them all over yourself ( pretend you're Napolean ), and you still won't overdo it. I wouldn't do that though with something like Hammam Bouquet, or T&H Spanish Leather. Different gents have slightly different routines. If it's a fairly assertive cologne, I put a dab on each side of my neck, and on the back of my neck, as well, and a dab on the inside of each wrist. Regards, Gordon
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

Good comments. In general, though, it's as I feared...Trial and error. I'll err on the side of caution I guess.

Another questions: Do you think that age is an important factor when selecting a cologne? I personally feel that labelling certain scents as "old" or "young" is hogwash, but I have a friend who warns me that I'll end up smelling like a grandpa with these classic scents...BTW I'm 32. Thoughts?

Thanks
Chris
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Chris73 wrote:Good comments. In general, though, it's as I feared...Trial and error. I'll err on the side of caution I guess.

Another questions: Do you think that age is an important factor when selecting a cologne? I personally feel that labelling certain scents as "old" or "young" is hogwash, but I have a friend who warns me that I'll end up smelling like a grandpa with these classic scents...BTW I'm 32. Thoughts?

Thanks
Chris
My wife worries that I'll smell like an old man...I think it's hogwash. What smells good to you, is what works for you!
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Chris,

All very good, time-proven advice from the members.

With the high-end colognes and EDTs, I normally apply 4 spritzes across my chest. Nowhere else. I adjust this up or down for certain fragrances. Floris Santal takes 6 spritzes, while T&H 1805 takes three. All others take four.

I apply only on the chest, because it then radiates subtly throughout the day due to the skin heat on the chest and the clothing layer on top.

When I get a new fragrance, I just apply 2 spritzes on the chest first. The next day, if necessary, I'll add a spritz, etc. until I find the right dosage.

With less expensive colognes (Crusellas, etc) and aftershaves (Masters, Pinaud, etc.), I can apply more liberally. WIth these, I just soak one of those square cosmetic pads and dab on. Prevents the fragrance from going all over the place. With the cosmetics pads, yo have controlled application.

Bottomline, a big factor is your skin response to the fragrance. What smells good on one gent, may not smell good on you. If it lasts hours on one gent, it may fade quickly on you.

That's why getting samples of expensive fragrances makes sense before you handover a large sum of money.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,
Richard
Santal Lover in Texas
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I agree that the issue of 'age appropriate' scents is highly tricky. I think that it has some validity, but only to a degree. There are othre factors; how one is dressed, one's general personality and 'come on', even one's vocation and social milieu. Climate and season could also effect the equation, somewhat. I sometimes wore the Original Dunhill for Men, toward the end of High School, and I probably shouldn't have. I have difficulty picturing me pulling off Hammam Bouquet before I was at least forty. On the other hand, I think that we must refect, catagorically, this weird notion that some seem to have, to wit. one smell like "grandpa" if one is wearing any real quality scent, and the only way to not smell like "grandpa" is to wear some wretched synthetic rubbish from the dept. store, that just came out last week. People like that ( male or female ) need to be gently, but firmly educated. Regards, Gordon
natebeck

Post by natebeck »

Well said Gordon. I will also concur with Richard in that I, too, apply all of my fragrances on my chest. I use, on average, 4 sprays as well when I apply most of my fragrances. With my two splash bottles, I will splash a small pool into my palm and then pat my hands together and then apply all over my chest and abdomen. With Trumper's Spanish Leather, a little goes a long way for me. With the Wild Fern, however, I can apply a bit more and it still isn't quite as potent at the end of the day as the Spanish Leather. I love the Wild Fern so much that I tend to apply just an extra drop to my shirt or sweater just to make it last a bit longer and so I can smell it all day. I have never had one single person tell me I smelled too strongly and in fact, I have repeatedly had women come up to me just to smell me or to ask what fragrance I was wearing. I had one friend in college that would seek me out at least once a day just to take a whiff. Pretty cool!!

By the way, I am 31 years old and have no problem wearing Spanish Leather, Wild Fern and Floris Special No. 127. My wife loves them all.

Have a great week all.
Nathan Beck