Looking at trying a Feather....

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jim

Post by jim »

Chris,

I'll keep you posted. Probably in a couple of weeks.

Jim
HLSheppard
Coffee King

Post by HLSheppard »

Wow - don't look now, but this could be the beginning of a REVOLUTION!

ALL HAIL FEATHER!!! :-s

<...or it could be more like :bull >
Howard L. Sheppard
howardsheppard(at)sbcglobal.net

"I wish I were less awkward around strangers. I never know what to say when someone asks me who I am and what in the world I'm doing in their house." -- Andy Ihnatko
karim0028

Post by karim0028 »

Hey Jim,

Welcome to our little community, tucked into this little corner of the world ;) If i may ask, what model artist did u choose and why?

-Hytham
-"Life without emotion is no more than death in disguise"
karim0028
jim

Post by jim »

Hytham,

I got the "RG" with the Teakwood handle. It has a very nice feel. I was told it's more comfortable than the all metal handle. It feels good to me but, this is the only straight I have had.

Jim
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Peter - Yep, that's the policy I read. They don't say you can't return used merchandise, but they don't say you can, either. Obviously they cover defects, which might be discovered after use, but whether or not purely preferential returns of used merchandise are allowed is not addressed. It could really be read either way. Usually return policy literature explains the terms under which returns are accepted, so I would say that is a weak policy description for not fully explaining it. The way it is written, it leaves too much unsaid, and could leave someone open for an unpleasant surprise. I would think that if someone were to consider purchasing through them, and wants to know just what can be returned and what can't, it is in that person's best interest to contact them directly and ask them point blank, before the purchase.
karim0028

Post by karim0028 »

Hey Guys,

I just ordered a Feather Straight RG Special edition razor. It should arrive some time next week. I will let you guys know how it feels with me. I am a little excited; as every one seems to have a different take on it ... I've shaved with "straight style" razors for 4 years though (shavette).. So, i may be a little biased, i guess we will see when it gets here....

-Hytham
karim0028
karim0028

Post by karim0028 »

Hi Guys,

I Finally recieved my Feather Artist Club from Ray. I shaved with it this morning and i dont know what the people that say it makes mincemeat out of their face are doing wrong.... I was using the ProGuard blades... But, i gotta say it was awesome i didnt cut myself once. It was the smoothest most comfortable shave i have ever had. I used it w/ Pacific shave oil and Proraso Tub and i really gotta say it was wonderful, finished the shave in about five minutes w/ no irritation what so ever.

I of course have several years of practice using a shavette so i may have perfected the contours of my face so that may be it.. But, man it's a great shave definelty worth the money. Forget the shavette, the straight and definelty any DE... This is the razor for me ;) I wouldnt give it up if i was held hostage ;) Oh Yeah, it was an Artist Club RG special... I couldnt justify the extra hundred for stainless steel... I figure that if it begins to peel in 20 years i will be making a ton more money and will be able to splurge $250 for a steel one ;)

-Hytham
karim0028
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Hytham:

Could you tell us a little more about impression of the differences between the shavette and Feather?
Joe
karim0028

Post by karim0028 »

Joe,

Sure... The shavette shaves great as far as i am concerned (again ive used it for 4-6 yrs) But, with the Feather it's got heft and sharpness on it's side... With the Shavette i had to sometimes push down a little to get it to cut through my beard b/c it's lite (which left me a tiny bit raw) With the Feather there just is no need to push at all i just gide it over my face and it cuts the hair. The blades are sturdy and it just left my skin feeling better... Now that the initial scare is over i will probably buy the Professional blades and see how they cut. If they cut anywhere near as close as the Guarded blades then it is definetly a good blade/razor. I mean literally no irratation at all even on my neck (no need to push just let it glide across your face). I will try shaving against the grain next time i shave and see how it goes.

Every time i used to shave with an M3 i would end up with hair left on my jaw, and trying to get it i would go pass after pass until my face was red but by that time i had already tore up my neck line.... I am a fan of str8 shaving b/c for me its a better shave (and it suits my face) but, i hate the hassle of stroping and honing b/c no matter what i do the blade is never sharp enough for me and ends up pulling my hair instead of cutting it (and ive got very sensitive skin) So, initially the shavette was my savior; now its the Feather. Prior to the Shavette i used to just trim with a beard trimmer b/c i broke out every time i tried to shave from the razor irritation on my cheeks and neck .

Hope that helps...

-Hytham
karim0028