Vision question..

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Thanks Gramps.

I've had my share of those bad ones. This is my first success, thanks to having a shavable razor.
Joe
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i love my cheeks when i shave with a straight. you would think there is no way a beard is gonna crop up. and it stays smoother longer. in two hours, i can start to rub against the grain after a DE shave and feel stubble. not with a straight. and now, some 8 hours after a straight shave, my cheeks feel about as stubbly as they would two hours after my vision shave. it has been so easy to shvae in the shower with my vision (i even continued shaving in the shower after the power went off, that is how comfortable i was with the DE in the shower) that i need to break myself of that habit and shave at the sink with my straight

sam
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

You're certainly right about the smoothness. I was surprised how smoothit was after one pass. Of course my lack of skill left missed spots, so I had to go to a second pass and buffing. ut that's one pass less than my Vision.

Somehow, the str8 seems to be less irritating than the Vision. Don't get me wrong, the Vision is great that way, but there's always a little sting and some redness for a few minutes. I didn't get that with the srt8. It seems to cut with less resistance (even compared to a new blade).

I do see the stubble much later. I'd say 6 hours instead of 2.
Joe
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

In partial answer to my own question as to whether there were any other manufactuerers making double edge razors besides Merkur... now we're up to Merkur, Feather, and Seagull in China:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 79051&rd=1

I know nothing other than what I read there, and offer the information without editorial comment. ;)

As for the other thread- as I say, I've got twenty-something years of experience shaving with double edge razors, all but about 6 weeks of it, as it turns out, with lousy materials and technique.. still, the closest and most comfortable shave I ever had was probably nearly 30 years ago, with a straight razor. Luckily (in that I'm still alive to tell about it) or unluckily (in that I don't have the skill personally) enough, it was not at my hands, but in an upscale old-fashioned barber shop in New York City. Sorry, I don't remember the name. I seem to remember that it was below ground, underneath a large, fancy hotel.

Actually, I couldn't have told you where I was at the time- I was following someone else's lead... but that's another story.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

Nothing will ever beat an old fashioned, patient str8 razor shave by a professional. It's an unfair comparison.

In my opininon it's also unfair to compare you shaves with ones someone else did on you. Someone else can always do better, because they have a better point of view and a better working position.
Joe
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

joe: when i first started straights in october, i had maybe 3 shaves under my belt. i went to a barber who uses shavettes to shave hair on african-american hair. he and i talked and he wanted to see my striaight razor. he did not do as good as a job on me that i could and did do on myself with only three shaves under my belt. but i was charged $10. he would have liked a regular straight he said but health laws would not permit him. he had to throw the half DE blade away after each customer

sam
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I happened upon a close-up picture, and I see to my surprise that, unlike the Vision, the Futur has numbers on the adjustment ring (what a concept! :wink: ). Looks like the corner of the blade also comes much closer to the corner of the razor's head than on the Vision.

So... does it also have detents/indexing/"clicks" on the adjustment?

Thanks...
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Joe Lerch wrote:Nothing will ever beat an old fashioned, patient str8 razor shave by a professional. It's an unfair comparison.

In my opininon it's also unfair to compare you shaves with ones someone else did on you. Someone else can always do better, because they have a better point of view and a better working position.
Interesting, while I can't say I've had many barber shaves but the few I've had were never as close as I can shave myself.

Neal