Moisturizers for shaved heads

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
brothers

Moisturizers for shaved heads

Post by brothers »

Mine is not completely shaved but close to it. What would be a good moisturizer for the scalp? Definitely not interested in conditioners or shampoos or soaps I don't use that stuff on my head.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Moisturizers for shaved heads

Post by fallingwickets »

unfortunately i cant offer you any advice. i should probably put something on too but up until now shaving soap seems to be sufficient

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

There is an earlier thread where I referred to my theory that shampoo was causing my scalp to itch. Tried a couple of the popular ones that claimed to stop itching among other things such as dandruff, etc. I don't have dandruff, just this cursed itching. Being a slow learner doesn't mean I never learn, just takes me a long time (with most common occurrences we encounter) to recognize the possibility that being obtuse isn't working. At that point in this seemingly lifelong and obsequious struggle I completely abandoned any products on my head other than water while showering. I figured it must be those thousands of hair care products causing it rather than stopping it. Brilliant, right? Well, not so much, but maybe I was onto something.

You can see where this is heading. Water is often associated with moisture. Genious! That was when I consulted the www for products that moisturize all of these shaven heads that seem to be related somehow to the bearded gentlemen among us. I assumed some of those fellows had evolved into moisturizing their bald heads, but apparently not, judging from the absence of a single suggestion/response to my question here on the legendary SMF, as well as the absence of any (that I found anyway) such products on the www. Those facts drove me to the point of analyzing the formulae listed on the thousands upon thousands of moisturizing products being sold for the FACE! Eureka!

After about 20 minutes of what I call searching I was able to locate one and only one likely men's grooming product (of course) that is also called After Shave Balm. I read scores of 5 star reviews and observed a great many of the 5-star guys commented on the fact that it contains no alcohol and no water, and it smells great. There is a long list of chemicals in it for sure. Not one single mention of applying after shave balm to the shaven heads. Naturally, us guys don't moisturize their bald heads, even if they faithfully moisturize their shaven faces. Knowing how guys are, I'm sure they do put it on their bald heads, but are afraid they might be ridiculed for such an un-manly activity. You know who you are!

I found some of this stuff and have been using it morning and night. I've only been using it less than a week but maybe, just maybe, it might be helping just a little bit. Time will tell.

PS: Not mentioning the source of this stuff at this point because obviously I'm going to use up the whole bottle or more before I decide it works or not. Don't ask! :D

Edit: the product contains water, contrary to my initial statement.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's not easy to moisturise hairy areas without the hair looking matted and greasy. The shorter the hair, the easier it is. Oil-free after shave balms like Trumper's Skin Food would work except for the significant amount of gums they contain, which then dry and act like hair gel. I'll make three observations:
1. You say you keep shampoo and soap away from your scalp. On one hand, that might be the right move if they are drying and making the skin flaky and itchy. It could be that warm water alone will cleanse sufficiently, but do remember that skin needs moisture, and that isn't actually water alone. Have you ever taken a drug that causes a dry mouth? You drink water, feel better for <30 seconds and it's dry again. Something needs to hold the water there, saliva normally does the job, and if there is no saliva we tend to use glycerin swabs or sprays to keep mouths comfortable. It's a big issue in palliative care. Glycerin is also the main ingredient in Skin Food. You might consider giving a try to the very old-time remedy of glycerine and rosewater, as used to be mixed by every pharmacist, and is now out of fashion. Some years back patients did tell me they could buy it at Walmart. The glycerin will act as the emollient that holds the water, and what magic rosewater contributes is unclear, but it smells nice and probably adds some anti-inflammation.

2. Sometimes avoiding soap is not the right choice. Itching isn't always due to dry skin, sometimes build up of too thick a layer of stratum corneum is the problem, and removal makes things better, not worse. It's easy to tell as it should be clear to you if washing makes it better or worse. Soap is fine for scalps, and there is no need for shampoo (unless formulated with something needful like an antifungal for seborrhoea), but it should never be a soap that leaves your hair (what there is left) squeaky clean. That has stripped away all emollients and will lead to dryness. Usually that means avoiding detergent bars and using only soaps, and experimenting with finding one that does not leave the squeaky-clean sensation (this is true for bodies as well as scalps, of course).

3. Finally, frequency of use comes into it. Generally speaking, the least frequent use that keeps the fatty acids in the sebum on your scalp from smelling rancid is the best. Curious observation: some people have a lot of seborrhoea/dandruff/psoriasis on their scalps, or in their beards. Shaving seems to improve it (probably related to reducing the fungal population held in the hair (malssezia furfur being the usual culprit - there's an interesting story of Sam Shuster, the dermatologist who first theorized that a fungus was responsible for dandruff and seborrhoea, closely akin to the pathologist who first suggested H. pylori as the cause of duodenal ulcers). Generally, the more hair you have, the greater fungal burden, the more frequent the need for washing with whatever you use. Less hair or baldness, less need for frequent use.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Chris, thanks for the detailed explanation. Ever since I started #2 buzz cutting my hair at the beginning of COVID-19 , my head has stopped itching. I didn’t quite know why, but your dissertation has enlightened me; I’ll continue with the buzz cut. :D
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rufus wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:03 am Chris, thanks for the detailed explanation. Ever since I started #2 buzz cutting my hair at the beginning of COVID-19 , my head has stopped itching. I didn’t quite know why, but your dissertation has enlightened me; I’ll continue with the buzz cut. :D
Bryan, that's something I've been contemplating for quite a while. Very interesting . . . .
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've moved from the 6mm cutter to a 3mm cutter. I'm now one of the skinheads of my yoof. I'll have to look out some Doc Martens, Sta-Prest pants, Ben Sherman or Fred Perry shirt and an 'Arrington jacket. Maybe get some brogues and a hell of a lot of Blaikies to hammer into the soles. And with that, I'm merging into the suedeheads, so I'll need an 'Crombie coat.

Stupid, stupid stupid. Fashions should be ignored. Easy for me to say now, but not so easy for a kid in high school going against the flow.

PS: Nope, never did the 'brothel creepers'.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Welcome to the group suedehead!

Progress report: The After Shave Balm is pretty good stuff so far. The bottle is about 2/3 gone by now. It's not an every day deal, but the itching scalp does seem to have abated a little bit. It also seems to work when applied in a couple of other areas that have proven to be prone to itching from time to time. The ingredient list says glycerin is the primary active ingredient (second after water).
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Now I'm working on the second bottle. Ten weeks have passed and the stuff seems to be working at a slow but steady pace. I've allowed my hair to grow a bit more than before between cuts.

PS: I checked the manufacturer's website. It seems they've received 643 reviews to date, and 585 of them have rated this stuff as 5-star. The very first review makes a point that in addition to being great on the face, it also stops itching.
Gary

Alex.mo

Post by Alex.mo »

Here are some advises for sensitive skin:
1. Before shaving, use a face wash or a facial scrub to soften facial hair. You should also moisturize your skin for at least three minutes with warm water to soften your facial hair and make it simpler to trim.
2. Use a nondrying, dermatologist-tested gel
3. Dull blades can cause nicks and discomfort. When you feel pulling or pain, change your blade. Alternatively, consider a razor with an indication strip that will fade to white when you are no longer receiving an excellent shave https://bathroomer.org/electric-shaver- ... tive-skin/.
4. Begin shaving with the grain (in the direction of hair growth). Then, if required, shave across the grain for a more precise shave.
5. Rinsing the blade frequently throughout your shave reduces buildup on the blade edges and cartridge, resulting in improved glide and comfort.
6. Here is where you need moisturizing. To chill and hydrate your skin, use a moisturizing aftershave lotion.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up again - this time I'm 5 months along in the process of daily application - now I'm starting on bottle #3 of the ice cold After Shave Balm on my scalp and a couple of other previously mentioned itchy patches. This stuff is proving to be very effective. The itching has been noticeably subsided. This stuff is working! :D
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:34 am Curious observation: some people have a lot of seborrhoea/dandruff/psoriasis on their scalps, or in their beards. Shaving seems to improve it (probably related to reducing the fungal population held in the hair (malssezia furfur being the usual culprit - there's an interesting story of Sam Shuster, the dermatologist who first theorized that a fungus was responsible for dandruff and seborrhoea, closely akin to the pathologist who first suggested H. pylori as the cause of duodenal ulcers). Generally, the more hair you have, the greater fungal burden, the more frequent the need for washing with whatever you use. Less hair or baldness, less need for frequent use.
I have psoriasis and one time, a dermatologist told me they thought it was a yeast issue and that is how the shampoo, Nizoral, started, Ketoconazol or something like that is the name of the underlying drug which now is OTC
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

That's one confused dermatologist! Psoriasis is a separate issue from seborrhoea, and only the latter is worsened by fungi. If a problem is cured by Nizoral/ketoconazole, it was seborrhoea and not psoriasis. There was only one treatment that worked for both, and it is now rarely used: tar products either as shampoos, like Polytar, or topical ointments like Dithranol/anthralin. Very effective, but prone to causing both skin cancers and other more serious tumours (and likely the cause of my leukemia).
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Did it. Went bald for Fathers Day. So how to maintain it? Head blade? Regular disposable razors? Foil shaver? Or just use my clippers with no guard

Spf protection you prefer?

Also growing the beard out more. Just week one on the beard. Had a goatee and just decided last Sunday to not shave
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I always had thick hair with no MPB. After chemo in 2014 my hair got very thin from crown to brow. When it all started to fall out after pre-transplant chemo last year a nurse kindly shaved the rest off. It grew back with very little in the same frontal-vertex area. A combination of dissatisfaction with that and my inability to access any haircut except for what I could manage myself (the life of the immunocompromised in a pandemic is rather circumscribed) led me to order up some clippers and shave it all off again. I haven't touched it since, and I now have around 1cm of hair all over, but sparse in the male-pattern baldness area. Eventually I'll have to decide whether to zap it all again or let it grow and try to keep it cut myself. I suspect I'll go over it with clippers using the 10mm guard, and something smaller around the edges.
Anyway, to address your question, Sam: after the clippers I did finish the job with a blade (using The General). It was neither easy nor fun. I think if I was trying to maintain baldness I'd use an electric shaver on it. The best SPF for a bald or thinly-haired pate is a hat!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sam, I use a fusion razor. Ive found it to be the best tool for head shaving....safe, easy to use, long lasting

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chris, I kept the sides and top at a 1 1/2 guard or 4.5mm. Sometimes the one, 3mm, was too short on the sides. My problem was that the top of my head was very thin. Too short, well, looked bald anyway and too long on top, looked like parts in it from time to time. Then adjacent to the top, on the sides, those got thick and well, i had to trim once a week or so. I was going to go to the stubble look (think of Jason Stratham when he goes really short but not bald on his head) and well, the barber said I might as well take it all off.

Found the Neutrogena Sheer SPF, non greasy, 55, at Costco for a decent price, and yes, rocking caps now.

I figure I have the Harrys razor with 4 blades left. May try a Mach 3 after that or the Fusion. Harrys flexes some. I also can try with my DE. If I go the electric route, seems that there is a Skull Shaver/Pitbull that gets great reviews