What bath soap are you using right now?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
EL Alamein

Re: What bath soap are you using right now?

Post by EL Alamein »

Been using the Dove Sensitive skin bar for years now (mostly). I don't know if they changed the formula or my skin changed but on a recent diversion into regular soap (Yardley, the English version) it became apparent that the Dove was irritating my skin. I could see and feel the difference on the first day.

I'm perplexed as I've veered off the Dove and used regular soaps for stretches in the past and not noticed any difference. I also used the Dove to wash my face before lathering up to shave and switching that out to regular soap has reduced irritation there as well.

Well, I guess I'm not going back to Dove.

I probably already mentioned somewhere else on here that I recall the Basis soap from when I was a kid in the 1970's. I remember my brother buying it and putting a cake in the shower. We all tried it and I don't recall anything special about it except it didn't really have a scent to it. Well, taking an inspiration from this thread I got some and it's up on deck for when that Yardley cake is done. If nothing else it will be nice for the memories.

I will say this about the cake of Yardley I'm using now - the scent and shape are very reminiscent of what the supermarket Yardley was many years ago - nigh identical. The main difference would be the color of the cake of soap - the English version is cream colored and the old supermarket Yardley was a brownish/greenish color. Anyway, this is a nice trip down memory lane.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

(Yardley, the English version)
where do you get to buy english yardely in the US? thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Hi Clive,

I bought mine from https://www.soapkings.com/product/yardl ... oap-set-3/

This was sometime last year and I'm just getting around to using some of it. They are out of stock and have been for many months now. I also would get the Yardley talc from them as well. They have been out of that for many months so I've been getting the talc off of an Amazon supplier.

Smallflower seems to have some stock of the Yardley soap: https://www.smallflower.com/products/ya ... gKEWPD_BwE

Hope that helps.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the links/info

clive
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm still using up the Nancy Boy Sweetgrass soap, along with the NLA Jabon Gal Piel de España. The latter is the best - absolutely the best - Spanish leather scent I have ever experienced. I have a few tins left, along with their clover, and violet (so strong! Just like you ground up some Parma Violet candy and snorted it!) They seem to sell for ludicrous amounts now, which shows they ought not to have stopped production.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

No matter the cost and the fragrance, consider where used bath soap ends up immediately after it is used. Hint: it becomes sewage and plunges down a very stinky drain. Where'd the money go? Where'd the perfume go? If one can afford one bar of the great lathering and heavenly smelling stuff, I could buy one of them to place on a shelf where I could smell it every day without ever bathing with it. Creating soap sewage, I'd rather shower with little or no fragrance and always gets the job done. Or, I suppose I could argue that it's my money and I can do whatever the h*** I want with it! \:D/
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Chris, I took a peek at the two sites....an FYI for those following the thread; soap kings has all(?) the yardley scents whilst smallflower only stocks the lavender. I'm going to try the yardley rose from soap kings :D Thanks again.

on the jabon gal, I have a tin. a LONG time ago Dr. Moss was singing its praises and I of course had to buy some....what else is new here at smf? HAHAHAHA The scent was too much for me and I never got to take the soap out of the can

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

f one can afford one bar of the great lathering and heavenly smelling stuff
for me it is all about the lather. of course it would be nice to have a magnificent lather and a decent scent to go along with it, but first and foremost lather matters most. good lather is worth paying for even if it is sewage in waiting :D :D :D :D :D

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have no argument with the lather. Regarding the expensive soaps, I was mainly reacting to the three bars for $99. :shock:
The forefathers (my own parents as children and their large rural farming families, for example) used a giant cauldron out in the yard over a hot fire and made their own soap from ashes, lye, and grease, and truly never even dreamed of adding perfume. I seriously believe they probably never had any perfume. That was literally about 120 years ago.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Been using the Basis soap for about a week now and I have to say I'm pretty pleased. We have hard water here in the suburbs of Philadelphia so it doesn't lather all that great but it does a great job and it's very mild. So far no irritation detected.

So far I am enjoying this and it's a nice trip down memory lane.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

after finishing my last bar of basis i opted to use the last of my dove stash....thankfully im near the end of that, and on saturday (thanks to the great smf enable!!!) a box of english yardley is supposed to be delivered. I'm looking forward to using it....hopefully it is much better than the local yardley for otherwise a big waste of money

clive
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Let us know about the Yardkey. It’s the wool fat for me for my face soap
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

As report earlier, after close to a lifetime of using Cussons Imperial Leather, we have abandoned it due to a reformulation, which has resulted in an inferior product. We are now on a quest to find a replacement. Currently, we’re using the Costco Kirkland bath soap, which is quite acceptable, if nothing to write home about. On my semi-annual visit to the dermatologist earlier this month he recommended Dove Sensitive Skin Soap or CeraVe. Interestingly, he recommended that I not lather my body in its entirety every day just washing the “smelly” parts, ie armpits, crotch/groin and backside, with soap, since soap strips the natural oils from one’s skin. Also, he did not see the need to wash one’s face with soap every day unless it was grimy.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rufus wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:03 am As report earlier, after close to a lifetime of using Cussons Imperial Leather, we have abandoned it due to a reformulation, which has resulted in an inferior product. We are now on a quest to find a replacement. Currently, we’re using the Costco Kirkland bath soap, which is quite acceptable, if nothing to write home about. On my semi-annual visit to the dermatologist earlier this month he recommended Dove Sensitive Skin Soap or CeraVe. Interestingly, he recommended that I not lather my body in its entirety every day just washing the “smelly” parts, ie armpits, crotch/groin and backside, with soap, since soap strips the natural oils from one’s skin. Also, he did not see the need to wash one’s face with soap every day unless it was grimy.
This sounds very similar to my routine. Nowadays I never use soap on my scalp, just water in the shower. I don't build a lather on my body, but it does see bath soap on a wash cloth when I shower. 48 years ago I established a life long practice of showering only 3 times a week, unless circumstances dictate otherwise. Obviously this works for me, and there are no plans to do otherwise.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

@brothers. I still shower every day unless there are unusual circumstances, eg winter camping in the wilderness, canoe tripping in the early spring or late autumn, illness. It’s a habit I haven’t tried to break. However, when I was a lad at boarding school we had to shower twice a day: a cold shower first thing in the morning before morning prep and a hot shower before dinner; the latter was essential as every afternoon, except Sunday, we had either to play a sport or engage in physical labour for two hours. Quite frankly I’d miss not showering in the morning especially before my morning shave. Old habits die hard.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

a lad at boarding school we had to shower twice a day: a cold shower first thing in the morning before morning prep
these days they would lock up 'powers that be' for child abuse :D

back to the yardley lavender which arrived a day early:

the scent is a LOT stronger than regular yardley. The lather is a giant disappointment made worse by remembering the cost of the soap. I would never buy this soap again.

clive
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Clive, how did I miss this? So sorry you didn't enjoy the Yardley. I guess it does not lather well in your location? Does pretty good here and we definitely have hard water. I've since used a cake of the new Vinolia and I have to say it wasn't bad.

Lately been extending the trip down memory lane and tried Dial Gold bar soap. Does OK and the scent is pleasant. Next up is Safeguard, I remember the commercials from when I was a kid and my mother buying it. Should be interesting though I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

Still using the Basis as a face wash and bath soap (in between trying bars of nostalgic brands) and as a face wash it's fantastically mild. I think I will always have some of this around as it just can't be beat.

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

While still wool fat bath soap fans -- a couple of years ago we got ahold of some Pré de Provence ...... man this stuff is beyond good ...... Just the two of us at home and their large bar lasts well over a month for us.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Chris i think I have two bars of the yardley, send your address and I'll post them and Wendell, very nice to see you out and about

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:22 am ... Wendell, very nice to see you out and about...
Thanks Clive.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?