Headshaving with a DE?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
JDE

Headshaving with a DE?

Post by JDE »

Hi guys,
I have thick wavy hair, but i normally just clipper it down as closely as possible (no guard) just for the sake of neatness, and if i'm honest laziness, on my part. Sometimes, however, i do like to shave it with a razor. The best method i've found so far is Trumper's Lime Skin Food as a preshave, Trumper's Lime shave soap (my daily choice for a shave) and a Mach 3, with a drop of Skin Food after. I'm pretty happy with it - no real irritation, a close shave. The only problem is the occaisional ingrowing hair. As such, i've been thinking of using my HD instead of the Mach 3.

I always thought a safety razor would be difficult to use for head shaving, due to angles, not being able to clearly see what you're doing (i shave by "feel" on the back of my head), and the lack of a pivoting head which for me, really helps when i shave my head. Does anyone use a safety razor on their domes? Is there any advice you guys can give me?

Thanks. Sorry this was so long, but i wanted to give as much info as possible.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

You are exactly correct about the potential difficulties involved. However, there are quite a few who do it. It seems to come down to trying it once and seeing if there's a chance it would work for you. (I don't shave my head, but my opinion anyway.)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I used a de a few times, but prefer the ease of a fusion. There are several gents.....sal comes to mind automatically......who use a de and are extremely happy with their choice.

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
JDE

Post by JDE »

Strange you should mention the Fusion. I tried the Fusion on my face over Xmas (i was given one as a present) and really didn't get on with it. I might give it a whirl on my head next time, though. I am concerned about how close the blades are, though. Even as stubble, my hair is pretty "thick" so clogging could be an issue. I might just perservere purely to use up the cartridges, bearing in mind they cost 5 million pounds each :wink: .

I was thinking about the Headblade, but as well designed as they seem, i think they look ugly as sin. I've had nothing but ghastly experiences with electric shavers (on both face and head), even the ones that allow you to have a "wet" electric shave. Disposables clog up too much, and the lack of a pivot point at the razor's head makes me struggle with my technique.

It is heartening to know that some get a good headshave with a safety razor, though. Thanks for the replies.
Eastree

Post by Eastree »

I shave my head with a DE. I even know of a person or two who use a straight razor. I haven't yet ventured past a WTG pass on my head with a straight, though.

What I can most recommend is becoming tactilely familiar with the razor you'll be using. Know how it feels in your hand.

Since a DE needs very little pressure, there won't be any fear of digging in.

Also, it's fairly easy to find the correct angle in places you cannot see. At first, it will result in small areas not shaved on the first pass, but it works: Touch the head of the razor to your head, and tilt while you move the razor. You'll hear and feel when the shaving occurs, of course.

After a time or three, you won't have to concentrate quite so much on how the razor is angled. At least not with much adjustment to optimum.
Ernest
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

A DE will work. I have done this and gotten a good shave. However, for BBS on my head, I use a Headblade. Some learning curve but super close shave.
Chris
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Headshaving with a DE?

Post by Sam »

Update:

Headblade? Recommended or use another razor? How long do their cartridges last?

Fusion or Mach 3: Read that these seem to be the best, with the Mach 3 having bigger gaps between the blades so as not to clog it up, but Fusion has the flexing

DE: I tried it. Okay so far

Pitbull or Norelco electric. Guess not as close? Any preferences?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

my vote goes for the fusion.
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

fallingwickets wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:54 am my vote goes for the fusion.
Im kinda keen on the fusion, or the mach 3, or using up my Harrys cartridges and the DE I have. The Harrys did not cut as close today, so I need a new cartridge. Touched up with the DE.

If I go electric, Ill probably get the Pitbull Gold by Skull Shaver. Widely recommended on websites that review those things. Might not cut as close but maybe more convenient. But I like the idea of soaping up the scalp in the shower and hitting it with a razor. Thus the Fusion or Mach 3

They say the Mach 3 blades are cheaper, only 3 of them, so they are spaced out more and won't clog up as easily. Fusion has the flex ball thing, but so does my Harry's cartridges, they flex.
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I went "smooth head" a few years ago using a DE. There was some alcohol involved. Buddy was wide-eyed at the result and neighbor lady simply said "No". So much for that experiment.
Ed