What bath soap are you using right now?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Gareth
Taylorman

Re: What bath soap are you using right now?

Post by Gareth »

We still use good old Imperial Leather in this house.
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, I see that it (Caprina) is available at Amazon and Walmart. I'm going to try to remember to pick up a bar or two next time I'm in Walmart. It sounds interesting.
Last edited by brothers on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gareth wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:43 am We still use good old Imperial Leather in this house.
Pour nous aussi.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've decided the Palmolive Classic scent is going to become my long-term preferred bath soap. It's the old fashioned tallow based very hard 3.5 ounce bath bar that's both cheap and good. Makes a nice lather and has a mild pleasant fragrance. More importantly, it's 100% as good at the task of bathing as any other bath soap. Simple.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

trying to follow Gary :D :D ive been looking for palmolive soap but havent seen it at any of the markets i shop at. Wasnt there a time when palmolive was about all you could buy at the supermarket??...now its non existent. Where did you find your bars of palmolive Gary?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

I get them at my local grocery store - dirt cheap and like $1.50 for 3 bars. Down on the bottom shelf - got to look for them, though.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

I found them at Dollar Tree. Three bars in a pack for a dollar. Bought in bulk online, and they shipped it to the store where I picked them up for no extra charge.
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Been using various artisinal soaps, Italian soaps from TJ Maxx, and Kirks Castile. And Mitchell's Wool Fat

Prefer the MWF for face washing, but when my stash runs out (two or three more soaps) I will go back to the Yardley soaps you can get for $1 or so at Walmart or Dollar Tree. Smell and lathering are right up there

I do miss the bargains one could get on Floris Rose Geranium. Gordon told us about it and I got quite a stash from over the pond when he found a bargain
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gareth wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:43 am We still use good old Imperial Leather in this house.
+1 - although we have been on MWF Bath Soap since we came back from North Yorkshire at the end of November.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i recently bought a few bars of basis soap after hearing someone looking for Acca Kappa White Moss soap say that it was a good alternative. I am so glad that I did. Ive been using dove and palmolive for the past few years and have to say that the lather and feel of basis is much, much better. There has been discussion of the soap here on smf in the past (i think back in '12 or '15) but unfortunately i didnt pay much attention as I was in my mwf / vinolia utopia and didnt really care much about anything else. Anyway, if any of you gents are looking to try a new bath soap, give basis a whirl. I bought mine from amazon only because local stores didnt have any in stock but I think bed bath and beyond might be another resource

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Clive. I've been using Dove Sensitive lately, but I would certainly be willing to give Basis a shot with your recommendation.

Is it fragranced?

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

hi Murray, it seems to be fragrance free, or at the very least I dont smell anything :D

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for that, Clive.

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

We’re using up the last of our cache of Cussons Imperial Leather bath soap; just one more bar to go. We bought this soap three years ago and since then we have learnt that it has been re-formulated and the results are less than favourable based on the many reviews we’ve read. We’ve used this soap for most of our adult lives so this is a sad development. We’re now searching for a replacement. I’d suggested Irish Spring, but SWMBO won’t have any part of that. Costco Kirkland soap, however, is a strong contender and Basis appears to have potential.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Lately I’ve been using Harry’s shower gels and then also Everyman Jack all in one Sandalwood shower gel. Smells are great. I’m down to my last bar of Mitchell’s wool fat and I’m going to save that for a face soap. Yesterday I was in Lowe’s and saw Duke cannon bay rum bar soap. The ingredients seem to be the same for the most part as Mitchell’s Wool Fat except for the lanolin. It lathered pretty good but the Bay rum is a modern interpretation and it doesn’t seem to be very prominent. I’m going to try it out but it was fairly priced at $6.98 for a huge ten ounce bar
Last edited by Sam on Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Checking in after a 2-year exclusive stretch and still going strong with the Palmolive bar soap. Absolutely no issues with it. Hardly made a dent in the remaining supply, probably should last at least another 5 or 6 more years at least. Best bargain ever.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

palmolive is good and probably best 'bang for buck' known to mankind, but ive been craving a rich voluminous copious :D lather which *my* palmolive doesnt offer.

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, I think the rich voluminous bath soap lather is a very valid attraction regarding their bath soap preferences for a great many folks. In my own case, I've gradually migrated back to the very quick in and out shower such as common among military and naval ships (just one example). Get wet, soap the body, rinse off. turn the water off, dry off and get dressed ASAP. Definitely no singing in the shower! My better half doesn't use my Palmolive; she goes for the liquid body wash products that are very common these days.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I beg to differ Gary. palmolive is fantastic on that we agree. also army shower gets the thumbs up....water conservation is my big 'thing' :D
On rich lather, it doesnt compare to soaps like vinolia and loccitane.....not that these soaps are brilliant, just that they are two examples of ones that lather better (for me anyway!!!!) than palmolive does
clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

😃👍👍👍We're on the same page. There are many soaps, as you have pointed out, that are better in the lather department, without a doubt!
Gary