Kirks Bar Soap

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
mycat

Kirks Bar Soap

Post by mycat »

If you are into all natural bar soap instead of the chemical type sold by the leading manufacturers including soft soap & gels then this is for you. You can going online & buy bar soap all natural but Kirks is a bargain at less then $3.00 for 3 bars(4oz size) The soap is terrific & doesn't irritate if you have sensitive skin. The company has been in business since the 1800s :D
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Sounds interesting. Have you bought it on the internet, and if so where? (link, please)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

(Link to Kirk's Soap website)

The bar soap sounds very similar in concept (plain vegetable oil soap) to Dr. Bronner's. Whether the products are in fact similar, I have no idea.
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Kirk's is the bar soap I've been using for years. It is the easiest lathering soap I've ever used, which says a lot because my water is not very cooperative in the lather making department. I also like that it has very little scent.

Buying some for next to nothing at Sweetbay is a plus too.

notthesharpest wrote:The bar soap sounds very similar in concept (plain vegetable oil soap) to Dr. Bronner's. Whether the products are in fact similar, I have no idea.
They are nearly identical. Just some minor scent differences. I go with the Kirk's because I can get it at the local grocery store.

Now I'm sure the resident tallow junkies will be along shortly to issue their usual blanket-dismissal of anything without animal fat in it, but this is still a damn fine soap.
~Greg
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, it's your basic 'Castile' or 'Marseilles' type soap, not dissimiliar to Dr. Bronners. The scent isn't much, but it's certainly not offensive. And as Greg indicated, in some parts of the country, anyway, it's available in local supermarkets even.
Regards,
Gordon
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Now that I have seen a picture of the wrapper (thanks to google), I'm pretty sure that I used to see it in Publix when I lived in Atlanta.

The shipping charges make it uneconomical to consider via the web. I'll have to look for it at the grocery store.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

GA, Yeah, probably. Publix stocks it here in Tampa.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:Now I'm sure the resident tallow junkies will be along shortly to issue their usual blanket-dismissal of anything without animal fat in it, but this is still a damn fine soap.
I like tallow shave soaps better because they shave me better - but for washing, this type of soap works just fine for me. It's not quite the luxury skin experience of Mitchell's or whatever, but I would happily use this type of soap every day in the shower.
magoo

Kirk's Bar Soap

Post by magoo »

This is a great soap and especially works well in very hard water
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

This is the soap that I have been using in the shower for some time. As Greg says, it is one of the easiest-lathering soaps I have found.

I use Dr Bronner's liquid soaps a lot. (In fact they just came out with a citrus scent that it wonderful!) Nevertheless, I experience Kirk's as eaier-lathering and gentler than Dr Bronner's bar soaps.

- Murray
z

Post by z »

I find that Bronners is good for my skin. I used Kirk's a bit severl years ago and found it a bit drying, but it was a quality and value-priced product.
Zach
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re:

Post by Sam »

CMur12 wrote: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:42 pm This is the soap that I have been using in the shower for some time. As Greg says, it is one of the easiest-lathering soaps I have found.

I use Dr Bronner's liquid soaps a lot. (In fact they just came out with a citrus scent that it wonderful!) Nevertheless, I experience Kirk's as eaier-lathering and gentler than Dr Bronner's bar soaps.

- Murray
Thinking of trying Dr Bronner citrus or peppermint or eucalyptus as a body wash
CMur12

Re: Kirks Bar Soap

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Sam -

A lot has changed since 2008!

I loved the way Kirk's Castille soap lathered, but I eventually realized that it dried my skin.

What I have been using for some time is the Neutrogena Transparent Facial Bar - Fragrance Free. It is very skin-friendly, but it only lasts about eight showers. I also like the Cetaphil bath bar.

I like Dr Bronner's liquid soaps, also. They are mild but they aren't moisturizing soaps.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

totally pedestrian and run of the mill, BUT dove sensitive skin wins it for me.

1. good lather
2. lather rinses off easily
2. skin friendly
3. scent free
4.affordable
5. easily accessible
6.cleans REALLY well

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Kirks lathered like no ones business. It was a tad drying. And the shower I guess made it dissolve faster. Lasted three weeks or so

Reading up on Dr Bronner. I am using an Everyman Jack citrus scrub. Smells and works great. But i don’t like the scrubbing beads as much. Is Dr Bronner drying? I like that I could dilute it and use as a face wash

Read that bar soap may be higher ph than our skin. For face I’m using Mitchells Wool Fat and shower is the Yardley

Edit/
Ditched the citrus scrub. Not ready for abrasiveness first thing in the morning. Trying out a Raw Sugar body wash in the men’s section at Target. It’s not that sort of sugar. Great smell and well reviewed. May try a small bottle of Bronners too. Still got another Mitchell’s for the face and that will last over two years as I have about 1/3 left of another bar
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sam, though I have no specific information to that effect, I'm pretty sure that the Neutrogena and Cetaphil products I mentioned above would have the correct PH, as they are products specifically formulated for healthy skin.

I have used Dr Bronner liquid soap on my face, but I didn't dilute it. I have only done this occasionally, however, so I can't say what the effect would be with regular use. It might be slightly drying.

- Murray