TRUMPER "SPECIAL SCALP LOTION" AND "SPECIAL L

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: TRUMPER "SPECIAL SCALP LOTION" AND "SPECIAL L

Post by drmoss_ca »

That's because you are a(n old) man of good taste!

There was a time when it regularly made lists of the worst scent ever, along with Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (which it faintly resembles). But if you can encompass 'sweet' and 'green' at the same time in your olfactory imagination, you know it could be great. And it is.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:15 pm That's because you are a(n old) man of good taste!

There was a time when it regularly made lists of the worst scent ever, along with Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (which it faintly resembles). But if you can encompass 'sweet' and 'green' at the same time in your olfactory imagination, you know it could be great. And it is.
I must confess that I like the Veg as well. It took me a while to get my nose around the veg, but once I got over the initial smell of it right out of the bottle and let it settle down on my face I quite liked it. Out of the bottle it smells like a mix of Jeyes Fluid and a urinal cake, but once on my face the initial smell quickly disappears and becomes powdery…to my nose at least. I have never associated the smell of TOBS No 74 Original with that of the Veg, but I’ll be sure to make a comparison when I buy my next bottle of Veg. BTW, I am oldish (73), but my wife would tell you that my taste can be suspect at times.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:08 pm . . . I find it a bit sad that no modern shavers have any idea how very well they may moisturise and scent their shaven faces with a properly shaken mixture of mere mineral oil and the scent they might like. . . .
This makes me wonder if a bit of mineral oil would further enhance the 444 ASB that currently is added to my daily splash of Superior 70. I think I should try it just for fun. I'm already adding 1/3 of a tube of the 444 to every new bottle I use.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

drmoss_ca wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:08 pm Lovely! It was always the old Eucris Hair Lotion for me (although as a well-shaken aftershave application rather than as a hair oil). I find it a bit sad that no modern shavers have any idea how very well they may moisturise and scent their shaven faces with a properly shaken mixture of mere mineral oil and the scent they might like.

And the best of all: the way Trumper's Eucris hair dressing would synergise with the often decried Taylor's No.74 original into an absolute bomb of old-man-scent. Smells just like the grandfather who won medals at Passchendaele, which is the right kind of old man for me.
Thanks! I have yet to try the Eucris one, I'm still hoping to come across an older bottle as I've heard the modern version isn't up to par. I really like hair lotions but I haven't used them on my face as you have, might give that a try! I'm a big fan of Taylors 74. as well! I wonder how the Isis (kind of unfortunate name) hair lotion will smell like, seems like it is one of the less common ones. Here is a picture of the Lazy Scalp which I was unable to purchase:

Ah, the things we have lost....
Olle
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

And another one!
Olle
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Gordon would have loved to see those!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Isis smells fairly similar to Amber Floreka, a bit lighter though (could be the age). The real winner for me was Fernil -- very similar to English Fern but closer to the shaving soap/talc/cream rather than the cologne -- sadly it's only about 50ml left in the bottle.
Olle
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Inspired by Chris's Eucris and 74 Original-combination I ordered some 74 original hair tonic, which I intend to combine with Hammam Bouquet EDT (but with the 74 as a hairdressing instead of as a balm).
Olle