TRUMPER "SPECIAL SCALP LOTION" AND "SPECIAL L

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
F.W. Fitch

TRUMPER "SPECIAL SCALP LOTION" AND "SPECIAL L

Post by F.W. Fitch »

F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

To be cont. Camera needs batteries and the 'little lady' is tired of me messing about with hair dressings for the day...who knows? Do hope you enjoy what I have offered up so far.

Best,
Fitch
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Fitch,

Looks like the common settlement that the Special Scalp Lotion gets when the bottle is not shaken. SSL contains sulfur and that's what you are seeing at the bottom of the bottle. The yellow colored stuff is some light oil and perfume.

Here is the writing on the back label of my old bottle:

"Dear Sir,

This is a harmless but effectual preparation for the removal of Scurf from the head, and preventing its formation.

It is absolutely unrivalled for the eradication of Dandruff and the promotion of a healthy growth of hair.

This scientific preparation has matchless stimulating and sustaining powers and its use has been followed with marvellous results"

I don't know if the newer bottles contain this fine little dissertation.

Hope this helps,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Thanks for that Bill. Yes, I recall you doing a review of just this 'Special Scalp Lotion' about a year and a half or two back. You even included pictures of the old bottles you had from late eighties or so. So this was for Jani, and he could do a 'search' from the archives. The 'Special Scalp' is 'prescribed' or so the old label stated such. Bill, I recall you mentioned it had an old fashioned barber shop scent and it does. It is kind of herbal/medicinal to me. I use it to give myself a scalp 'friction' sometimes before bed. I think it is best suited for that. Now then, the "Special Lotion" smells so dog gone nice it is to be used as a daytime dressing. Lastly, I think Trumpers in keeping with many old fashioned barber shops had several 'all purpose' type cologne waters/ tonics. Some of these would have been "Bay Rum","Fougena", "Lavender Water", "Eau de Quinine", "E. de Cologne", "Milk of Flowers." There were a few more that I contacted them and begged them to hunt for. "Curzona", "Mayfair Tonic Water","Lazy Scalp" and "Prescription 3507?" I think. I was told by them that they had just been discontinued a year or two prior, and none remained in their shops or the warehouse. They did try to find also. I called London and spoke with a couple different people about it.

Best,
Fitch
Last edited by F.W. Fitch on Sun May 31, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Just a follow-up to above. Again very out of focus pics. What Bill typed-out is what the above reverse label says exact. The last pic. is just a 'little' clearer one from yesterday's "Bargepole Bait" SOTD. If by chance any of you have been getting those red 'x' boxes that sometimes pop-up as opposed to the photo. Go back to them ,and 'click-on' those red 'x''s if they appear. Sometimes a very large clear picture can be seen with the label a lot crisper. Yeah, I'm working on better photography, but hell their dis-continued anyway.......

Best,
Fitch
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

:shock:

OMG!!!!!!
Regards,
Jani
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Well what can be said Jani? These products were from a different era. They pre-date John Lennon "White Album" hair culture...snicker. As Michael has mentioned before, Trumpers were known more for their hair dressings/products than for anything else. This he said was true when he started paying his visits mid to late 70's. The two above bottles were found in the U.S., being an English speaking nation of 300 million, and one of the largest markets it was natural for Geo. Trumper to export here. Even so, not too many shops here would have bothered with such archaic items as these. I found both at the same place with 'sun-faded' boxes, that had thankfully been in air-conditioning, but had been left to collect dust for years. I know "rustyblade" why am I doing this to myself...laugh. Trumper even used to show a picture on their web-site of the "Special Scalp" not 3 or 4 years back. I remember a picture they had from within shop, and you could see the glass display cases in the rear. I studied that thing like a CIA analyst then stayed-up one night to 3am, and called "Curzon St". This was 2005 or so. I got hold of a nice young lass, and made her look at the photo. I sent. She told me with her lovely voice that what I was wondering about in one of the cases was "Flaura" aftershave & there was none left discontinued!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful green bottle and label it had too......shoot. Well... I told her I was calling from the city where 'Jesse James' was gunned-down and the 'Pony Express' started....the real olde west America. Her response was priceless. In her very sweet, sexy Brit. English voice.....that is faaaascinating. Now let's 'break it up' around here and go have some 'Coldstone' ice cream. Buck-up!!

Best,
Fitch
Last edited by F.W. Fitch on Sun May 31, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

(SHAKING ARMS FRANTICALLY IN THE AIR) Damn you all, damn you all to hell!!!!! (LAYING ON FLOOR, CRYING LIKE A MAD OLD WOMAN) I completely blame Gordon for getting me into this. :evil:
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Fitch, Yes, well, T&H was the same deal....and now D R Harris's. Cambridge Chemists in NYC used to have most of this stuff, although there were a few that I never saw even there. It's all too depressing to go into at length, and I don't even personally USE hair dressings....sigh...
Regards,
Gordon
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Here's my old bottle for all you Royal Warrant aficionados.

I removed the sulfur from my bottle and use it now and then for a hair tonic. Monty Park once told me about a Message Oil that could only be purchased in the shops and was never in a catalogue. He told me to just say I wanted a bottle of the message oil and they would post it over the pond for me. It came in a brown medicine type bottle with very simple labeling. I never purchased any but I wish I had now that I reflect back. (even if it were to drive Jani crazy!)

FWIW, the "6507 Prescription" was a preparation for "stimulating and improving the growth of the hair" probably not unlike the simple message oil.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

(LOCKING MYSELF IN THE BASEMENT FOR FEAR OF INJURING MYSELF AND/OR OTHERS)
Regards,
Jani
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Good Morning Jani...hope you rested sound...laugh. Look at it this way. (Even though) it is Monday and well yeah...that stinks. Bill & you at least got to go there personally and get a shave. I will never I'm certain. Now put-on your i-pod ,and crank-up the 'Swedish Pop'...have a good day.

Best,
Fitch

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Anyone got any of the D R Harris's Eau de Quinine hairdressing with 1/32 of oil?......or Truefitt's Athenian hair lotion?.....no....I didn't think so...sigh...
Regards,
Gordon
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Fitch, have you tried the Hair Colour Restorer? I was told by a barber at Trumper (actually he was gone from the shop) that "Just for Men" was better but the Trumper is an herbal concoction.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Were horrible 'knife turners'....evil chuckles. Gordon...Yes, I do have the Harris 'E. de Quinine'. I don't think it has any indication on rear of box about the oil for mine. So most likely none. They just last year 'axed' the "Brilliantine", "E.de Quinine", and "Florimel". I'm not saying if I have the others or not....I mean come-on! Bill, yes I have used many times ,and it does work for about three weeks...to a month. It is not only if you have grey, but to make the hair more 'youthful' and soft. I think the bottles were cool & would imagine the massage oil you made reference to were in a smaller version of the above 'colour restorer'. I would love for any info. you have from any catalouge regarding their hair items. I can pm later in the week ,or not, if I have 'burned you out'..laugh.

Best,
Fitch
Last edited by F.W. Fitch on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
diggity

Post by diggity »

You guys are crazy. This is something that I do NOT need to get myself into. Jani, run for the hills while you still can.
Nathan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Doesn't count, Fitch. It MUST be the one with the 1/32 of oil ( there was also 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, and none ). And what about the T&H Athenian Water, hm?
Regards,
Gordon
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

A SMF limerick:
"Tea service for two
a few h. tonics for you."

"We all stopped past looking for a better shave
realized many other things we craved."

"On & on it went..until Gordon was done...the good money t'was spent."

{SET TO A "HIP-HOP" or "EURO" DANCE CLUB BEAT}

Best,
Fitch
Last edited by F.W. Fitch on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
diggity

Post by diggity »

Where is boyex when we need him to spin this beat for F dub.
Nathan
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Nathan, I'm afraid it's far too late already, for me. I'll post some pictures when I get home from work later today.
Regards,
Jani