Shampoo that won't make my scalp itch

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
adhoc

Re: Shampoo that won't make my scalp itch

Post by adhoc »

I "suffer" from a quite bad case of seborrhea, which the common types of anti-dandruff shampoos like for example "Head & Shoulders" that doesn't help at all and does absolutely nothing to combat my scalp issues.
The only products that have helped me and succeeded at combating my seborrhea -- at least to some extent anyway -- have been products that contain Selenium disulfide, like for example the Shampoo available here in Sweden called "Selsun". The only issue I've had with that one so far though is that the shampoo tends to lose some of its potency and effect after a couple of washings.
Olle
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

As far as I know, selenium sulfide, zinc pyrithione and tar products are the only choices. Tar shampoos were the most effective, but have fallen out of favour because of the risk of skin cancers (and after decades of daily use it is the only explanation of why I developed CLL/SLL twenty years before the average age of onset). Salicylic acid is used for descaling in some products, and some people will use baby oil to soften large thick scales and remove them, but if the issue is itching and excess dandruff you are likely going to be best off using a regime of Selsun alternating with H&S.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Update - Used up the whole bottle of Selsun Blue and the itching on the scalp was just as it was before. I don't have any of those most common ailments such as dandruff and that stuff, which I do not and have not had. I self-diagnosed a nuisance case of dry scalp. No problem: I had a 1/2 full bottle of Vitalis hair tonic and filled it up with an equal amount of pure Glycerin and started using it daily. Maybe I'm crazy (of course I am!) but yes, after 2 or 3 days my hair isn't itching any more. Time will tell, as to whether or not this will be a long-lasting situation, but for now I'm enjoying it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

You narrowly escaped my next suggestion, which was going to be to shave your scalp and shine it up with oil!

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

And you'd be right. I often tell myself to just shave my head and be done with it. Common sense says what's the big deal, if I like it that way I just keep shaving it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

My own hair has not recovered from chemo. Very thin on top. I keep it very short with clippers (9mm for the top, and 6mm for fading the edges). It is very cold without any hair in the winter here, but just clippers with no guard do a good enough job without shaving, I used to find. Leaves 'velvet' on the scalp, palpable but barely visible.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:34 am My own hair has not recovered from chemo. Very thin on top. I keep it very short with clippers (9mm for the top, and 6mm for fading the edges). It is very cold without any hair in the winter here, but just clippers with no guard do a good enough job without shaving, I used to find. Leaves 'velvet' on the scalp, palpable but barely visible.

C.
That is what I am doing now. If you do shave the head, check out the Leaf Razor. I like it better than a multi-bladed disposable though a Harry's does okay in the shower. I have some Wahl corded Color Pro and use the green 1.5mm guard to give a short buzz look. My hair is very grey/white and a no-guard clipper cut just looks bad. From a distance I look bald anyway if I did that. Looking for some cordless clippers now, may go to the Color Pro cordless, for convenience. Hate to keep aware of that cord, my fear is that I will clip it and my hair and electrocute myself