Deodorant

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Deodorant

Post by Sam »

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with a new brand called Art of Sport? It was developed in partnership with Kobe Bryant and James Harden recommends it. Supposedly it’s all natural, including the plant-based derivative of propylene glycol. It’s a little bit higher priced than some of the premium Old Spice deodorants and I was thinking whether it was worth the cost compared to say the high endurance line of Old Spice which is like $2.99, versus the$ 6.99 for the Art of Sport

I am using the Schmitdts line, the Patchouli scent and also the Charcoal version, and it is OK for an all natural stick
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Deodorant

Post by Sam »

Tried the Art of Sport, Compete (red) version. Nice smell, sorta like any other commercial scent that Target carries. However, after an hour I felt that it was non existant. I read up on reviews and they say that it works if you go to the gym and sweat. And like the Dove for Men, it says effectiveness varies. I did not feel that the matcha and arrowroot ingredients did anything. I much prefer the Arm and Hammer natrual ingredients version over this, but the AH left a bit of stickiness.

The propelyne glycol in AoS is plant based but it has the same effect on the body as the gas-derived version. So much for natural ingredients. I would get Schmidts over this for the same price.

I swapped it out for Old Spice High Endurance deodorant, Pure Sport, and hope that works. If so, great. If not, then maybe Dove Care but the antiperspirant

I don't sweat as much, aside from working out, but found antiperspirants to be more of a white chalky consistency that the deodarants which appear and feel slick and almost gel-like,. sure I want to cut down my risks of cancer and Alzheimers, but I used antiperpirants for years in highschool and thereafter. I don't think any adverse affects so far. So if I go with an Antiperspirant, Old Spice is cheap enough, or Dove, Right Guard and Gillette in Target/wWalmart seem to be sprays or gels, no more solids. I have read stuff onthe Internet that maybe the studies linking aluminum in the antiperspirants is not universally accurate or received as having adverse side effects. Kinda like the stufies on artificial sweetner and the testing was on rats and they were given doses like 100 times the amount for our body weightt
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Sam, I have no experience with the brands you mention here but I can definitely sympathize with your quest to find something. I use deodorants but, like you, used antiperspirants years ago (over twenty). I vastly prefer deodorants. I switch around these days but try to stick (no pun intended) to lighter scented items. It's hard to find something you can fall in love with so to speak.

Good luck.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Maybe a girl's brand, maybe not, but Dry Idea Unscented is an excellent roll-on anti-perspirant that works very well and has no nasty scent.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

drmoss_ca wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:08 am Maybe a girl's brand, maybe not, but Dry Idea Unscented is an excellent roll-on anti-perspirant that works very well and has no nasty scent.
I don't use the roll-on myself, but the gel version of that, or the Mitchum, both unscented, are what I like. No scent is best for me.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gene, you are jarring a memory from many years ago when I tried Mitchum roll on deodorant. Seemed to work pretty good but it left a crust on my shirt arm pit that did not come out in the wash, very strange. Had to discontinue for that reason.

Chris
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Several years ago I stopped using antiperspirants and went with the Body Shop’s men’s deodorant stick. It works well for me and I find the stick lasts a very long time.
Bryan
Gene

Post by Gene »

EL Alamein wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:31 pm Gene, you are jarring a memory from many years ago when I tried Mitchum roll on deodorant. Seemed to work pretty good but it left a crust on my shirt arm pit that did not come out in the wash, very strange. Had to discontinue for that reason.

Chris
Hey Chris, I had that problem, too ... but don't think it's been an issue with the unscented. Or, I cycle my T-shirts too quickly?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gene, maybe.

I always assumed it was a combination of my body's reaction with that particular deodorant, I never had it with anything else. I just remember being puzzled at the crust on the armpits of freshly washed shirts. Changing to something else resolved the problem. I can't remember what I switched to as this was over twenty years ago.

I've tried a few things over the years like the original speedstick which worked out well for years. I've used the original Old Spice and more recently a local pure lavender deodorant that works ok if I don't exert myself. It doesn't work well on days I sweat in the yard. I really like the Irish Spring deodorant that disappeared for years yet seems to have come back recently. It's always existed in antiperspirant form. If they keep the deodorant version around for a while I'll be sticking with that.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Way back to high school days, when I was just learning the basics, I never did (still don't really) understand why I would use deodorant but not antiperspirant. My problem was not knowing under what circumstances would it be a good idea to just let the sweat flow knowing it would give off an odor. Getting my shirt wringing wet and changing to a dry shirt while sweating is counter productive. YMMV Maybe my metabolism is different than everyone else. For many years I've been using Right Guard gel. I don't work out, I just work. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Post by Gene »

Gary - agreed. Never liked getting too wet in the pits and changing shirts, either.

Chris - it occurs to me that the other factor here is that the gels tend to be clear. Unscented and clear seems to dry ...cleaner... if you will. Although getting used to a gel takes some getting used to.
Gene

Mark Twain

Alan Moore
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gene, good point. I agree as I do recall trying gel way back when and I didn't care for it but can't recall specifically why.

As a follow up to my point about the Irish Spring deodorant apparently it's now discontinued again?? It was like they did a short run of it then caput. Oh well, I still like Old Spice and that local lavender one so I'm good.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, I recall that as I got older antiperspirants irritated me. Why I don't know, but changing to a deodorant solved the issue.

I know some folks have raised a health issue with antiperspirants but I am not knowledgeable about those and they were not a factor in my switch. If there are such issues perhaps I am getting an intended benefit but that really can't be known.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I think the health concern about antiperspirants has been the use of aluminum hydroxide, or some other form of aluminum, as the antiperspirant agent.

I never had a problem with heavy underarm perspiration; I just wanted odor control, so there was never a good reason for me to resort to an antiperspirant. Back in high school (the late 1960s), when antiperspirants first came out, I had to try them since they were the latest and greatest thing. I had an adverse reaction, however. The first couple of days that I used it, it made my underarms drip perspiration, which had never been a problem before. After that, it stopped all perspiration, but it made my underarms stink in such a way that I couldn't wash the stink off! So, I've never used it since then.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i stopped using deodorants and antiperspirants over a decade ago...soooooooooo liberating (for reasons unknown, but it is)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

CMur12 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:14 pm I think the health concern about antiperspirants has been the use of aluminum hydroxide, or some other form of aluminum, as the antiperspirant agent.

I never had a problem with heavy underarm perspiration; I just wanted odor control, so there was never a good reason for me to resort to an antiperspirant.

- Murray
Yes, I read conflicting information on aluminum in antiperspirant and Alzheimers. I mostly went with deodorants because of, like you, I do not really sweat unless strenuous activity like yard work or working out, and even then, antiperspirants don't work all that well.

Im liking the Old Spice High Endurance line, got Pure Sport scent. I also like Schmidts put it is more like a paste and chalky at times and is over two times as much.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I use a deodorant stone. I need to wipe it under each armpit for about a minute and afterwards it works like a charm. No odor whatsoever for the day and sometimes it lasts until the next morning or longer. I think the "alum" in the stone is different than the aluminum that's used in antiperspirants. The stone will not preventing sweating but I've found that I definitely sweat less since I started using it. I wear sweat-block t-shirts to prevent sweat stains.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’ve gone back to using The Body Shop men’s deodorant after trying several other brands. I find it does the job noticeably better than the others I tried. I gave up on anti-perspirants several years ago as they irritated my skin. Deodorant stones proved marginally effective for me.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Let's lay to rest the nonsense about aluminum. There is no evidence that aluminum chloride hexahydrate is linked with more frequent breast cancer, and people have tried hard to find a link since the original kookie claim that plugging axillary sweat ducts would stop the body "eliminating toxins" from the breast in the sweat from the armpit. Sweat isn't even for eliminating 'toxins', and even if it were, would applying an antiperspirant to about 1% of the body's surface area make much difference?
There was a study that found excess aluminum in the brains of Alzheimer patients, but several attempts have been made to replicate those findings and they have all come up with nothing - no excess aluminum. Remember that if we take a 'positive' study as one with p≤0.05 that means there is a less than 1 in 20 chance the results came along by chance alone. That means that even among reputable well-designed studies around 1 in 20 means nothing. Add to that poor study design, massaging results to look better, and even fraudulent investigators and there will be more than 1 in 20 we cannot replicate (which means simply repeating the study to see if the results are the same).
I'm not saying you can't trust science, just that you have to use your brain when reading a study, and verify the result if you can.
It is possible to react to aluminum chloride with a rash (not an allergy as the molecule is too small to interact with the antigen binding sites of antibodies), and this probably due to blocked ducts getting inflamed. It isn't that common, but if it happens you should avoid the products that cause it.

Back to more important stuff. I like the Dry Idea Unscented partly because it works well - dry armpits - and it doesn't stain my shirts nor does it lead to a big crusty build-up in armpit hair.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

Back in my teens I would sometimes develop a rash with a deodorant. Stung like the devil when I applied it. But it would clear up pretty much overnight when I switched brands, and haven't had it since. I had forgotten that.

Interesting news about the aluminum, though ... thanks!
Gene

Mark Twain

Alan Moore