Maybe I'll go to jail

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
kronos9

Maybe I'll go to jail

Post by kronos9 »

How's that for a subject line?
Received a jury duty summons yesterday and there is simply no way I'm going in. I'm over 65, not vaccinated, no car, and on an embarrassingly small fixed income. I've done it twice before and thought I was safe but there it is in the mail. There is no way in Hades I'm going to show up. I can apply for an exclusion with the aforementioned reasons plus a curmudgeonly attitude. Maybe a doctor's note. Either those or prison.
Ed
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Maybe I'll go to jail

Post by drmoss_ca »

Most doctors are willing to write an excuse (too willing, in my view), but in your circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to ask. I doubt your system is like ours, where such a note sent to the prothonotary of the court does not automatically excuse you—it might, and if you get word you needn't show you are in the clear. If you hear nothing you must show up, as it generally means the judge wants to check on you and your excuse, at which point you will probably be excused.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

In November I received such a summons along with a confidential on-line questionnaire to complete. At the end of the questionnaire there were several questions regarding my age (over 70) and my health, which were generic. Shortly after submitting the completed questionnaire I received a reply formally excusing me from jury duty because of my age and advising me that I could receive a future summons post-pandemic.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Ed, you noted that you can apply for an exclusion, so I would do just that. It sounds to me like you have several good reasons.

It's hard to say what those making the decisions will do, as it will probably depend on how desperate they are for jurors.

Good luck!

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Good luck....hoping you are excused

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Thanks, guys. I think I'll try the doctor's option before I <s>unleash my venom</s> craft a very carefully worded response.

(Needs better HTML support.)
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

I received one of these for the Federal court. As someone else mentioned, the summons listed the options in case someone needed to be excused. I filled it out promptly and sent it back, all the while secretly hoping I might get picked, as I have no objection to folks serving on juries. I was rejected, of course, but serving on a jury or going to jail would seem a bit extreme. You'll be OK, I'm sure. Don't sweat it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Well, my doctor completely ignored my polite request. So much for my first and best option. Now to plot my careful response to the summons. In any case, there is no way I'm reporting for my own extermination. Logan's Run anyone? Or am I dating myself?
Ed
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'll never get tired of Jenny Agutter.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

Have you tried calling? In my experience the people are very accommodating even of vacation plans for a deferral. If you want a perpetual excuse that is another matter, and a neat trick if you can get it (though I would actually like to be on a jury).

Also--and unrelated--I am glad to see the good Doctor chiming in. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Went to the website with my meticulously prepared request to be excused. Yup, server problems. Called my new friend at the courthouse and she suggested I email the office with my reasons. That was accepted. No extermination for me. [insert happy face and hearty breakfast tomorrow]
Last edited by kronos9 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

😎👍Sweet!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Glad to hear it, Ed!

- Murray
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I had postponed a number of times. I got a notice saying I had to serve and I could not postpone. I served this Mon 19th. I sat around all day and then they dismissed us. There were about 30 people. We had to sit in certain chairs. They took half for a trial and dismissed the rest. I served in the NY State Court of lower Manhattan. It wasn't too bad. It was just a big waste of time.
Ed