Watches, watches, watches (caution: modem burner)

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
CMur12

Re: Watches, watches, watches (caution: modem burner)

Post by CMur12 »

I have three Hamilton railroad watches that I'm rather fond of. In fact, they're the watches I normally carry.

I also have a 17-jewel Caravelle wristwatch (by Bulova) that I got for Christmas in 1962. I wore it all around Latin American in 1973, while I lived in the Upper Amazon, 1975 - 1977), even falling into the river with it, and in Portugal, 1978 - 1981. It still runs and I still wear it for periods of time.

- Murray
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Nice to see everyone's time pieces. I love to see a good reliable and attractive time piece.

I have a 1959 Omega Seamaster Calendar that I've worn since I was eighteen. I send it to Omega in Switzerland when it needs a cleaning and overhauling. It's currently there now, last time was twenty years ago. Very accurate and reliable watch that keeps itself wound if worn continuously. I only take it off for showering and sleeping. They'll bury me with this if none of my sons want it.

I also have a Berenger diver's watch I bought about 25 years ago. I wore it briefly back then and went back to my Omega. It also is nice to have when the Omega is in Switzerland so I'm utilizing it now. It's not an expensive watch at all but it was one of their rarer models as most Berengers were only certified waterproof to ten atmospheres whist the one I have is certified to twenty atmospheres. The Berenger line doesn't really exist anymore and it's successor is the Dakota Watch company. You could pick up a similar old Berenger watch at Good Will for a few bucks just to give you perspective on how common they are.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

when it needs a cleaning and overhauling. It's currently there now
do they redo the lume for you?

lovely looking watch...i like the way the hour hand seems to curve over the face
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

fallingwickets wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:25 am
when it needs a cleaning and overhauling. It's currently there now
do they redo the lume for you?

lovely looking watch...i like the way the hour hand seems to curve over the face
Hi Clive,

Yes, they redo everything. The first time I sent it to Omega in Switzerland twenty years ago they completely restored the face which was in shambles by that point. I believe that was the first time it had ever been in for a cleaning and overhauling. Whatever they do it takes about 3 months for them to do it and it's like getting a new watch back.

Here is a watch identical to mine except mine has a stainless rice-grain bracelet: https://watchcharts.com/listing/384005/ ... lugs-dated

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

27 thumbs up...pure eye candy :D

clive

p.s i sent a tudor in for service earlier this year...covid blah blah blah and about 5 months later i got it back, so three months is quite speedy!!
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’m at 4 months waiting for the return of my Omega Constellation from a bog standard service. :(
Bryan
Barry

Post by Barry »

I bought some lum-tec watches. I looked them up and a few have increased in value but not by much. I will try to sell these soon. I don't need the money but right now they're just taking up space. The Abyss 400m-2 looks the coolest to me.

I use an Apple Watch now anyways. I put it in a Catalyst watch band case which gives it a smooth but rugged appearance.