Gin

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
drmoss_ca
Admin

Gin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Does anyone care much about gin? Unlike vodka, which, when properly made, aims for complete neutrality (leaving out flavoured vodkas which certainly have their place). I see all sorts of very odd gins made for use in the martini, some of which are so flowery and perfumed they don't taste like gin ought to taste. Looking at you, Bombay Sapphire. With the boom in tiny, local distillers here, everyone and his dog seems to be coming out with some peculiarly flavoured spirit they call gin.

I know next to nothing about Plymouth gins - Plymouth being the second historical centre of gin distillation in the UK after London, and London gin is something I have explored at length. The biggest seller among London dry gins is Gordon's and it stinks. Harsh and nasty, and fit only for the most obscure cocktails which may cover up the taste. Good gin ought to have an oily quality, and a taste of juniper berry tempered by earthy notes. My favourite ever, which is no longer made, was Booth's. Not a premium brand, but the best for mixing with tonic water or just a few drops of Angostura bitters if you like a pink gin in the wardroom. Fortunately, Beefeater gin is almost exactly the same. While it is my current favourite, if you insist on spending more you can enjoy something decent (but without the oily character) in Tanqueray or even Tanqueray Ten if you're feeling flush.

And while I'm at it, I'll add that you should keep away from diet tonic water - it's too sweet. Accept the sugar and enjoy the drink as your gods intended you to. Tell me about the gins you like and why.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Re: Gin

Post by EL Alamein »

Even though I don't drink gin I hope you get some good feedback here as I do like to hear of other folk's enjoyment!

Chris
pausted

Post by pausted »

I seldom drink gin. I prefer Kentucky bourbon. But, when I get the urge for a martini I mix Seagram’s Extra Dry gin, a splash of Cinzano Extra Dry vermouth and three olives over ice. Gotta have three olives.😊
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

In the pantry, there is a bottle of Boodles London Dry Gin, (Cock Russell and Company). It seems the wife and daughter have a favorite gin recipe that features a bit of sparkling water and a fresh lime wedge. I've tried it a few times.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

my mom was a gin drinker....Tanqueray or bust for her :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

brothers wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:51 am In the pantry, there is a bottle of Boodles London Dry Gin, (Cock Russell and Company). It seems the wife and daughter have a favorite gin recipe that features a bit of sparkling water and a fresh lime wedge. I've tried it a few times.
A Gin Rickey involves gin, lime cordial (or fresh lime plus sugar) and soda water. As in Martin Amis Dead Babies (aka Dark Secrets):
By 12.30, Giles had consumed five gin-rickies, four gin-and-tonics, three gin-and-its, two gin-and-bitters, and one gin.
A good book, but it leaves you feeling slightly drunk.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

brothers wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:51 am In the pantry, there is a bottle of Boodles London Dry Gin, (Cock Russell and Company). It seems the wife and daughter have a favorite gin recipe that features a bit of sparkling water and a fresh lime wedge. I've tried it a few times.
Ah, Boodles. Isn't that the Gin of choice for Travis McGee, down in Florida? I thought that went away.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I like Beefeater because it was my first taste of gin (snuck from my parents' liquor cabinet and better for it). Though I'm glad to see it has fans independent of that.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gene wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:38 pm
Ah, Boodles. Isn't that the Gin of choice for Travis McGee, down in Florida? I thought that went away.
Gene, thanks for reminding me! I think I should re-read some of those books.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Travis drank Boodles and Plymouth, if I recall correctly.
Jim
Gene

Post by Gene »

I remember reading that Travis lamented opening his last bottle of Boodles, before he switched to Plymouth. I also remember (sort of) the drink he favored with his gin. I tried one once - it wasn't for me. But I do like a nice gin and tonic every now and then.

I guess I shall try Plymouth and Beefeaters - see if there is any difference in taste between those and the Bombay Sapphire I usually stock in my freezer.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Gordon’s is my “house gin” for dirty martinis. Tanqueray is what I usually order in restaurants because it’s ubiquitous. Boodles is what my family gives me for gifts.
Jim
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Gene wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:07 am I guess I shall try Plymouth and Beefeaters - see if there is any difference in taste between those and the Bombay Sapphire I usually stock in my freezer.
Bombay Sapphire is completely unlike normal gin. Side by side, or even from across the room, you can tell the difference!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

Folks - I guess I had it backwards. I am doing some research - in the novel "The Dreadful Lemon Sky" JDM talks about breaking out the last bottle of Plymouth gin.

Which is also still available - and still made in England (It appears).

Confused now.
Gene

Mark Twain

Alan Moore
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Plymouth gin isn't a brand in the UK, it's a genre, just like London gin, Scotch whisky or Irish whiskey. Historically, gin distilleries were situated in Plymouth (likely to serve the navy, and maybe the navy loved gin because they were exposed to the Dutch genever on their travels). But far more distilleries were built in London in the 18th century to serve the poor populace. Alcohol was not taxed or the sale licensed, and gin was cheaper than milk. The Gin Crisis, possibly rather exaggerated, was depicted in Hogarth's cartoons, Beer Street and Gin Lane, in which those individuals in Beer Street are shown as industrious and happy, whilst there is mayhem in the adjacent Gin Lane:

2560px-Beer-street-and-Gin-lane.jpg
2560px-Beer-street-and-Gin-lane.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 3089 times
Read all abaht it, as the paperboys used to say, here.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Interesting that both of these illustrations include the “three dots.” The state of South Carolina still uses three dots to denote its liquor stores, also known as “red dot” stores.
Jim
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

In this case, it is the traditional symbol for a pawnbroker.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I’ve discovered a new premium gin that I find to be very worthy. It’s called The Botanist, and though I feared it might be too floral with such a name, it’s actually very well balanced. It hails from Scotland, specifically the Isle of Islay, with a price at which a thrifty Scot might take umbrage. Nice-looking bottle to boot!
Jim
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Wull ye no imagin' the puir Scots, affronted by the foul Sassenach brew bein' distilled in the hame o' Scotch whisky? :D
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

I've been re-exploring gins after a several decades absence - probably due to too many gin & tonics in my 20s and 30s. I have a few in the secret stash, and I have been making some craft gin cocktails. My favorite gin cocktail is probably the Last Word - equal parts gin, lime juice (fresh squeezed!), green chartreuse, and Luxardo maraschino liqueur. Sounds like a girly concoction, and it might be, but it's well-balanced with a great flavor profile - at least to my palette.

In terms of gins, I currently have some Tanqueray Ten, Nolet's, The Botanist, Bombay Sapphire, 2-3 different Hendrick's, and Lee's - a Colorado local. There's another one lurking down there - I just can't recall what it is. It's hard to compare the different gins, but they are all quite nice - just different. I like that some have a soft floral or herbal note vs. chewing on a juniper bush in the yard. I never knew gins could be so varied until recently.
Lynn