Zoysia

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Zoysia

Post by brothers »

There's a spot in the yard where it's mostly shady. In this part of the country the common Bermuda likes sunshine. About 6 years ago I put down Patriot Bermuda sod in the yard, and it's great, but being Bermuda, it didn't thrive in this shady corner of the yard. Fescue likes shade, but doesn't like my yard for some reason, probably too much sun even in the shade. So we're trying Zoysia now. I planted about 400 square feet of seed yesterday, and I'll do my part with the watering every day. They say it does best when the nights are at least 60F.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Re: Zoysia

Post by ShadowsDad »

Very interested in how this works for you.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Gene

Post by Gene »

Interested, too.

Fescue is popular in Georgia (well North GA, anyway). Had it as a yard in a couple of our places when we were in Atlanta. It likes cooler weather, and would never survive a Central Texas summer.

I wasn't aware you could plant zoysia from seed. Keep us posted!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

My yard this year is shot to dickents. Common Bermuda, the stuff for the rough, not the tight-knit stuff like some greens. Fescue takes over in February and it seeds up but starts to die out about late May. Bare spots where bermuda once was. Had a tree trimmer take up some limbs on trees to let in more light.

I have had three yard sprayers and they can't keep weeds under control. If i cut it low and mow once a week, looks halfway decent. I have thought about zoysia, and we can only get sod here, and if there was seed, it sells out quickly
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

In the north east, we plant plugs of Zoysia in one foot spacing, Zoysia is such an invasive grass that, in 2-3 years the entire lawn will be Zoysia. I have never seen seed like Sam. The feeding and watering requirements are much different than most other grass. I could not get use to the fact that Zoysia is dormant longer in spring before greening up and browns earlier in the fall. The allure of an easy to care for lawn wasn't enough to make me use it.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Good Lord! How do you chaps obtain a good bowling green or cricket crease? I know you must have some experience of these important matters as Louis Armstrong told me about Long Gone John:

"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

In Houston, TX, the staple lawn grasses are Bermuda and St Augustine. Our lawn was St Augustine entirely and it made a very attractive yet robust lawn.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I would consider St. Augustine
brothers

Post by brothers »

It sounds as though I shouldn't be expecting very good results this time If it doesn't do well in hot dry climates. My planting was bad timing. We've had record rains in the past week or so since I planted it. Torrential soaking rains are never helpful with seeds. I've been curious about St. Augustine too. I might add that to my growing list of failed attempts.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I, too, was going to suggest looking at St. Augustine. It does well in our hot climate and is very shade tolerant.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think I should try St. Augustine sod this time around.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning I located what appear to be eleven (11) zoysia sprouts in the barren corner where I planted about 2/3 of a pound of seed a couple of weeks ago. :D
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up on the large bare spot in the yard: In August we had a very strong wind associated with a somewhat violent summer thunderstorm. Lost 2 trees, and one of them was the reason for the relentless shade causing the bare spot. Problem solved! Now that spring is here I'll look forward to more grass.
Gary

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

Tulsa here: I've tried fescue in shady areas, but it grows way faster and for a much longer season. I haven't tried zoysia and don't plan to because I saw Bermuda growing quite well in the shade, but it was because they had a sprinkler system, and were diligent about fertilizer. Bermuda grass can be manipulated to do several things. My neighbor at another house used a reel type mower and cut the grass at least every week, and watered a couple times per week. He had a perfect lawn no longer than a half inch tall! It looked like a putting green. He fertilized watered and mowed all the way to my driveway, and it looked just like his yard. Bermuda will grow in shady areas, but it will require diligence.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Gary - I think you are in Oklahoma. That might be too far north to grow successfully. I would check to be sure. Way back in our Georgia days we had Fescue (which doesn't run like Bermuda/St A) and doesn't die in the winter. I called the local agricultural office - they told me we lived 50 miles north of the line to grow it successfully - the winters were expected to be too harsh. I thought that was odd - Dallas has harsher winters than Atlanta in mu opinion.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gene, we've got kinfolks in south Louisiana and their advice was the same as yours. I have a habit of walking all around their well kept yard every time we make the trip down there. Before we settled on the Patriot bermuda I looked into the Zoysia snd St. Augustine and had to rule them out. Now that our previously overshadowed back yard is fully and well established we can see we made the right decision! 😎
Gary