Gin

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Bobwhite

Re: Gin

Post by Bobwhite »

Hendrick's Gin with Fever Tree Tonic and plenty of lime is what my friends and I gravitated to. But honestly, Costco's Kirkland gin with Schwepp's tonic water makes a mighty fine libation as well at half of the price. To me, I find it difficult to zero in on the perfect liquor when other factors are added. If I intend to enjoy the qualities of a fine liquor. Kentucky bourbon is what I enjoy. ...and with a tiny amount of water.
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Bobwhite, I agree that when using spirits with mixers, it makes little sense (to my taste buds) to use premium spirits. Perhaps there are filtration and other quality differences that minimize "after effects," so that could be a factor for some. I certainly wouldn't think of drinking premium bourbon or single malt with generic supermarket diet soda....lol :D
Lynn
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I really like Hendrick's Gin. The juniper is there but not overpowering. It is infused with cucumber which sounds a bit odd but is actually very refreshing.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I've always enjoyed a good gin and tonic and have explored many different brands and types of gin. Sadly, I've developed a quinine sensitivity that my doctor said could quickly develope into a fatal reaction, so I've been exploring other mixers. I've discovered I quite like martinis, and I enjoy all the different flavors I've found from all the different gins and their botanicals. However, I've found simple London dry gins to be the best in martinis.
However as a mixer in other classic gin cocktails, to my palette, nothing beats Hendrick's gin.
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Speaking of Boodles, lately I have been enjoying a cocktail, if you want to call it that, that I have created. It's not a written recipe and it has no water, seltzer or otherwise. Using a large glass 16 or 18 Oz and I put that in the freezer to get very cold, then I add approximately two and a half to three ounces of Boodles gin, followed by a pretty fair amount of lemon juice and a reasonable amount of lime juice. To that then I add approximately 1/3 or 1/2 cup of cranberry juice. Then I add my secret ingredient which is Grenadine for a sweetener and it seems that the Grenadine is complementary to the cranberry juice and it gives a very good flavor, It's nice and smooth and easy to drink. I add ice cubes as necessary.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

That's getting close a Singapore Sling.
My version was to mix gin, orange squash (prob not available in US), Rose's Lime Cordial and cherry brandy. Keep this in a jug in the fridge. When thirsty or deserving, pour some in a glass and top up with soda water.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace