What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
churchilllafemme

Re: What are you reading?

Post by churchilllafemme »

Another library book, Joseph Kanon's The Accomplice, a novel about a CIA desk analyst in the early 1960s, nephew of an Auschwitz camp survivor, going out in the field and searching in South America for a Nazi war criminal. His search is complicated by a relationship with the Nazi's daughter, interference/assistance from the CIA and Mossad, and danger from the criminal and his network. Similar in style to Alan Furst.
_______
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Finished Dam Busters ...... (the title was too long to type in again, and I am too lazy to copy and paste today). Went to an Alexander McCall Smith - The Good Pilot Peter Woodhouse. A warming story of WWII that I enjoyed immensely to be fair.

Then last night I decided I needed me some David McCullough -- so started into The Greater Journey. I have always enjoyed his books -- although I would say that his 1776 is probably his least "good" book of everything he has written. I have been drawn to this for sometime as my namesake Oliver Wendell Holmes is a key topic. I case you didn't know, he went by Wendell and not Oliver. A little known fact that I learned only recently. I'm about 100 pages in (on my Kobo) and it's outstanding. Like any DM volume it either pulls you in or creates curiosity that you want to read more.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm started on The Mirror and the Light, Hilary Mantel's third part of the trilogy about Thomas Cromwell. I don't usually care too much for stream of consciousness novels, but she pulls it off nicely. Definitely a novel and not history, but since we have no idea of the detailed facts of the inner machinations of the Tudor court, we can't gainsay any of her imaginings. It's good stuff.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Re: War of 1812

Post by brothers »

I'm looking for some good books on the War of 1812. I want to objectively educate myself regarding the circumstances leading to this war and the conduct of the war from both sides. Please give me your recommendations. Much obliged!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

napoleon a life by andrew roberts is a good read but not specific to 1812
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:53 pm I'm looking for some good books on the War of 1812. I want to objectively educate myself regarding the circumstances leading to this war and the conduct of the war from both sides. Please give me your recommendations. Much obliged!
I’m interested in this too. My 4th great grandfather served with a Highlander regiment in the War of 1812.
Last edited by Rufus on Fri May 15, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’ve come across two books that appeal to me : Pierre Breton’s “War of 1812” and Alan Taylor’s “Civil War of 1812”.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

listening to: ride of a lifetime by robert iger (disney exec)

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rufus wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:40 pm
brothers wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:53 pm I'm looking for some good books on the War of 1812. I want to objectively educate myself regarding the circumstances leading to this war and the conduct of the war from both sides. Please give me your recommendations. Much obliged!
I’m interested in this too. My 4th great grandfather served with a Highlander regiment in the War of 1812.

Sounds good Rufus. I'm going to check my neighborhood library for these and any others.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm still working on The Dam Busters and enjoying the experience. I'm glad I discovered this one.
Gary

Rufus

Re:

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:24 am I’ve come across two books that appeal to me : Pierre Breton’s “War of 1812” and Alan Taylor’s “Civil War of 1812”.
Bryan
Rufus

War of 1812

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:24 am I’ve come across two books that appeal to me : Pierre Breton’s “War of 1812” and Alan Taylor’s “Civil War of 1812”.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Dam Busters was a surprisingly good work. Written in 1951, the author was able to get to know and research regarding 617 Squadron RAF circa 1943 and continued until the end of the war. It was quite educational to me, and very humbling to get an insight into the operations of a very effective military unit among which many young heroes worked and many lost their lives. I'm very proud of them, and very humble to read their story. Best book I've read in a long time.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Just started The War of 1812 A Short History by Donald R. Hickey.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the night watchman louise erdrich
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The Greater Journey done -- excellent read and I highly recommend it. McCullough does an incredible job of telling the history of Paris from an American perspective via anecdotes and vignettes that seem to readily pull the narrative together.

Just got my daughter's copy of the new Hunger Games prequel Ballad of Snakes and Songbirds by Suzanne Collin. Yes I actually read that stuff as well. Sometimes, you just need a bit of teen dystopian lit.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just finished The War of 1812. Next up will be The Hero by Lee Child.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Hero was a very quick and entertaining read. It turned out to be the author's intelligent and informative essay on his chosen style. It appears that it would be of interest to anyone hoping to be able to write and sell some books. Easy to read and not at all boring or technical. He has sold massive millions of crime fiction books. He's British. Writes under the name Lee Child. I'm glad I read it.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Following the recently read The Hero, it appeared that Lee Child recently released a (very) short story entitled James Penney's New Identity. It took about 45 minutes, and the ending was quite unexpected. In my personal opinion, this one was well worth a few minutes of reading time.
Gary

ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Commander in Cheat, How Golf Explains Trump by Rick Reilly
Reilly takes a no holds barred view of Trump.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum