Beer

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Since I last posted in this thread I dicovered that my local grocery started stocking an Aberdoonian brand called Brew Dog. I have been through their stout, IPA and blond(?) ale and have to admit that I like them very much, even the Nanny State :oops:
Eric
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Thumbs up to the Brew Dog - if I'm not mistaken, they're part of the race to see just how potent a beer can go before it crosses the line into hard liquor. Interesting, if nothing else.
Regards,
Mike
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Drink Surly beer from Minnesota if you can get it.

Last weekend I was in St. Paul, MN, for my uncle's funeral. I went out with my best friend and one of my brothers, and had several Surlys with some Deep Fried Tater Tots and an order of (disappointing) Spam Bites at the heavenly Blue Door Pub.

Also, anything (besides Grain Belt) from the August Schell Brewery is probably great. And Summit, too. Ah, Summit....

- Will
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

There's a few which I can't think of the names at the moment, but I do remember liking Sam Adams Summer Ale. Delicious and drinks like water.

For the Aussies on here, how does Victoria Bitter stack up? I've always wanted to try it (on the recommendation of friends who've been there)
I know here in the States Fosters gets all the marketing, but I haven't met anyone from Oz who actually prefers it.

John P.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

wenestvedt wrote:Drink Surly beer from Minnesota if you can get it.

Last weekend I was in St. Paul, MN, for my uncle's funeral. I went out with my best friend and one of my brothers, and had several Surlys with some Deep Fried Tater Tots and an order of (disappointing) Spam Bites at the heavenly Blue Door Pub.

Also, anything (besides Grain Belt) from the August Schell Brewery is probably great. And Summit, too. Ah, Summit....

- Will
Will,

SPAM BITES...Did the Surly have that much influence on your thought process. When I was a young chap in South Mississippi, Spam was a staple. But now, wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. That beer must be special. I was in M/SP a couple years ago and drank a few beers at a pub/bar/club down town. I don't recall the brand I drank but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Surly although it sounds like something I would drink. You know a bottle of liquid with BEER/BIER printed on it. :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Spam Bites are tiny diced Spam and pickles, packed into a ball of cream cheese and then (I think) deep fried. The Tater Tots are much better.

The Spam Bites are something I had avoided on previous visits, but the regrettable Pils I drank must have clouded my judgement. Another Surly cleared my mind, though. :7)

- Will
Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

Fat Tire is another good one. It sure is hard to beat home brew though.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I enjoyed the cream stout from St. Peter's Brewery (Suffolk, England) last night, and it was fantastic. Highly recommended.
Regards,
Mike
function

Post by function »

Don't forget folks, March means it is Marzen season. Unfortunately most Marzen production in the US is lagered until September and then labeled Oktoberfest.

Get some of the Eurpoean stuff if you can find it, and then buy beer from the same brewer in September and compare.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

function wrote:Don't forget folks, March means it is Marzen season. Unfortunately most Marzen production in the US is lagered until September and then labeled Oktoberfest.

Get some of the Eurpoean stuff if you can find it, and then buy beer from the same brewer in September and compare.
You mean to tell me March isn't the season for green-dyed lager (later to make a reappearance as green-dyed vomit) and chugalicious cocktails with offensive names to be enjoyed while drinking buddies argue over whether the guy that's 1/64th Irish is more Irish than the guy that visited for two weeks??
Regards,
Mike
bugaz

Post by bugaz »

JohnP wrote: For the Aussies on here, how does Victoria Bitter stack up? I've always wanted to try it (on the recommendation of friends who've been there)
I know here in the States Fosters gets all the marketing, but I haven't met anyone from Oz who actually prefers it.

John P.
VB? Meh, nothing to rave about. Wouldn't touch it with the 10m pole, however it's No. 1 seller in OZ.
There are much better ones but not too many - James Boag's Premium lager comes to mind, James Boag's Draught, Coopers Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale.
There are few good boutique breweries like Little Creatures, James Squire, Fat Yak, Blue Tongue.

And yeah, nobody drinks Fosters here

Cheers
Never too old
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

bugaz wrote:...VB? Meh, nothing to rave about. Wouldn't touch it with the 10m pole, however it's No. 1 seller in OZ...
Hmm...Sounds a bit like Budweiser here in the states. I wouldn't drink it on a dare, but it's a best seller year after year. I guess some people are after things other than good taste.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
JohnnyO_Jr

Post by JohnnyO_Jr »

Anyone like Red Trolley Ale? It's one of my favorite beers.

http://www.karlstrauss.com/PAGES/Brews/ ... olley.html
xXClockwork

Post by xXClockwork »

#1 now and forever: Guinness from the tap, from someone who knows how to do it right.

Most beers from Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, and Dogfish Head come after.
Jesse

2 Corinthians 5:21
brothers

Post by brothers »

I visited Santa Fe NM a while back, and learned there is a brewery there. They make a few varieties of beer, I brought a few 6 packs home and passed them around. The consensus is that they're pretty good. They're available here, and now we've got another possibility whenever the occasion arises. The Nut Brown Ale is a good one, and the others aren't bad at all. It'w worth a try if you happen to have access to it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
function

Post by function »

brothers wrote:I visited Santa Fe NM a while back, and learned there is a brewery there. They make a few varieties of beer, I brought a few 6 packs home and passed them around. The consensus is that they're pretty good. They're available here, and now we've got another possibility whenever the occasion arises. The Nut Brown Ale is a good one, and the others aren't bad at all. It'w worth a try if you happen to have access to it.
It seems almost any city with a population over 200k in the US seems to have a decent brewery these days. We are lucky, as I think this is a golden age of beer quality and availability in the US. The only thing holding the breweries back and keeping their beer out of our refrigerators is millions of dollars of political donations from the megabrewers.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That and the fact many of them don't travel well.
Regards,
Squire
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

function wrote:It seems almost any city with a population over 200k in the US seems to have a decent brewery these days. We are lucky, as I think this is a golden age of beer quality and availability in the US. The only thing holding the breweries back and keeping their beer out of our refrigerators is millions of dollars of political donations from the megabrewers.
Fortunately, craft beer continues to gain market share year over year.

I love the local and regional selections you get to sample when you travel. I am making a trip up to Wisconsin this weekend and I will be picking up a selection of New Glarus beers. Only available in the boarders of the dairy state, but I highly recommend their stuff if you should find yourself there. In the Chicago area is Goose Island. I am looking forward to their Mild Winter, an easy drinking seasonal beer brewed with some Rye.

More widely available:

If you are a hop head I recommend the beers from Stone Brewing Co. Arrogant Bastard, their flagship brand, is excellent.

I also recommend Unibroue. Quebec brewery making Belgium and Trappist inspired beers that are fantastic. I suggest Maudite, but you really cannot go wrong with any of them.

Finally, I will recommend Avery Brewing Company. Many fantastic beers, but I love The Beast. Identified as a Grand Cru ale, it is a 14.9% ABV beer that is definitely a sipping beer. Syrupy thick, sweet, and complex it is superb.

Now I have done it. A trip to the beer store is in my plans for the evening. :D
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.