good sipping whiskey?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Post by brothers »

Chivas Regal Scotch. Seems to be the currently most preferred resident on the shelf. Seems to have a noticeably less than prominent smoky character - if any,
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

off topic, but my dad loved chivas so much he named his scotty, chivas! :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

brothers wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 pm Chivas Regal Scotch. Seems to be the currently most preferred resident on the shelf. Seems to have a noticeably less than prominent smoky character - if any,
I picked up on Squire's suggestion years ago and became a fan of Famous Grouse.
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:42 pm If a bunch of single malts are lined up on the table and there is a bottle of Famous Grouse behind them I'll reach for the Grouse.
Must be good, if the Squire says so, in my book! :wink: He's missed.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ugh, for a sec i thought you were quoting a recent squire post. Missed indeed. :(
JrzyHillbilly

Post by JrzyHillbilly »

Knob Creek SiB Reserve
BED71D29-5803-4384-A5CF-CC556B920EE9.jpeg
BED71D29-5803-4384-A5CF-CC556B920EE9.jpeg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 5821 times
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I’m not much of a straight up bourbon or whiskey drinker or even one for bourbon and water, but my son-in-law’s love Woodford reserve, bullit and Blantons. I have tried Skrewball
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Has anyone played with one of the "water purifiers" available pretty cheap from Amazon these days? There are several channels on YT that are dedicated to showing what may be done if you accidentally purify something other than water...

Naming no names, my own family doctor (no, not me!) was dabbling in traditional pot stills and making what he calls tinctures. After he retired he got an official license and is now in larger scale production. The product is considerably better than the moonshine traditionally produced in some of the more remote areas of this province.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Re: Kavalan

Post by brothers »

Introducing Kavalan Whisky. Surprisingly excellent whisky. I read about it a couple of years ago and last year it became available at a liquor store somewhere in Texas. Most recently I was able to persuade our favorite spirits store to stock it for me. Everyone with whom we've shared it is equally enthusiastic about it. Made in Taiwan and that's a long way from Kentucky and Tennessee, but now it's just around the corner.
Kavalan Whisky.jpg
Kavalan Whisky.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 5780 times
Gary

brothers

Re: Jameson Irish

Post by brothers »

Regarding Irish Whisky, I didn't care for the Famous Grouse as much as I thought I would. Actually poured it out after I realized just how foul it tastes. Time passed, and someone mentioned Jameson (SP?) Irish. Saw it on the shelf and that was that. Turns out it is an ideal taste for me, and the others with whom I have shared it. It's one that rates above all of the other Scotch and Irish products I've tried.
Gary

slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Maker's Mark. Hands down. Pricey and worth it.

Teeling's Irish Whiskey. Not as expensive as Maker's (unless you get the single malt) and very good.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Regarding Irish Whisky, I didn't care for the Famous Grouse as much as I thought I would.
perhaps thats because fg is scotch and not irish whiskey??? :D :D :D :D
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good point Clive. :D Kind of like discussing my favorites among Kentucky whisky (4 Roses) vs Tennessee (Jack Daniels) whisky, but so far I've narrowed it down to one favorite from the neighboring Ireland and one from Scotland. Chivas Regal is far better than just about any other Scotch to my worn out sense of taste. And Jameson is far better for my tastes than any other Irish I've ever tried.
PS: Not to mention the rising star of international whisky from Asia - Kavalan.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

For some reason I don’t tolerate Scotch whisky very well, be it single malt or blended. I find bourbon a bit too sweet for my liking. On the other hand I find Irish whiskey (especially Black Bush) and Canadian whisky (40 Creek, Wiser’s 18 Year Old Blended, Crown Royal) very much to my taste.
Bryan
Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

Connemara peated single malt Irish whiskey. The noticeable peat flavor may seem unusual to most people, but it reminds me of the smell of Ireland in the winter time. In Ireland they cut peat out of the bogs, and dry them into logs to heat their homes and to cook. It is heart warming and soothing to some people, and it stinks to others.