Is SMF losing its vigour?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
JayTrek

Re: Is SMF losing its vigour?

Post by JayTrek »

I need to ramp up my involvement. Been really busy lately on my new job. Even not shaving as often. I am falling apart, man!!!
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Jason, I hope that new job is going well for you!

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on what Murray said
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My ditto as well.
Regards,
Squire
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I don’t post much but I do drop by from time to time to see what Sam is currently worrying about which one he should buy... was I dreaming or was it recently frying-pans? The man is an inspiration to us all.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Sam doesn’t dive blindly into new purchases! :D
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sam saves me the effort of doing my own comparison shopping.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Bargepole wrote:I don’t post much but I do drop by from time to time to see what Sam is currently worrying about which one he should buy... was I dreaming or was it recently frying-pans? The man is an inspiration to us all.
Boots I think. I enjoy reading about his forays in consumer-land.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Bargepole wrote:I don’t post much but I do drop by from time to time to see what Sam is currently worrying about which one he should buy... was I dreaming or was it recently frying-pans? The man is an inspiration to us all.

Thank you sir!!! Now it's cowboy boots
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

We've lost some of the most erudite and knowledgeable members. Gordon and Nathan have left. Bargepole rarely posts. Instead, we have not only SOTD, but separate and redundant threads for brush of the day, soap OTD, razor OTD, cologne/aftershave OTD. Other than running up one's post count, what is the reason to have five places to describe one's daily shave? Often, a day's new posts are primarily OTD posts.

Regards,
Stan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Forums entail participation. If one only wants to post as few as 500 in 11 years, less than one post per week isn't active participation. Perhaps simply reading is not participation. Discussion is what I call participation. There were a lot more regular guys who quit during the time that your three favorites were posting as often as 10 or more posts per day than have quit after those three took their contributions elsewhere. Some under new user names. We're talking about shaving here, not rocket science. :D How erudite and knowledgeable should one be to be get a Gillette razor and blade and some soap and some aftershave? Wow! You seem to be advocating deactivating the OTD forums, but have you checked the other active shaving forums? It's pretty much standard, and even if they're not erudite, they are a form of participation that harms no one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Well, I suppose I would have had more than my paltry 500 posts in 11 years had I been posting five times daily to list my shave components. Probably around 17,000.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm sure you're a nice fellow Stan. No hard feelings. If you ever find yourself in OKC, please give me a heads up and we'll have a great lunch.

As a read-only student of the OTD ("of the day") forums, I'm sure you have read hundreds of my posts there, and you are obviously aware that I've come a long way in finding my very best performing razor, blades, soaps (about a dozen of them) and aftershave over the past 9 years. You might be aware that when I'm posting my daily shaving gear, I am sitting here admiring how smooth and satisfying it was. This is one of the most simple things imaginable, and in my case, I get a lot of satisfaction out of it. I don't want to quit (shaving or posting about it) yet. I want to keep participating. Some days I might not have time to shave, but when that happens, I'm already looking forward to tomorrow. No need to be cross and bitter. It's one of life's simple pleasures. If my participation is offensive, then you should just ignore me and do what you personally enjoy. The stuff I use every day makes me happy every day.

Your comments reveal that even though of late I have virtually stopped trying to post about things that motivate others to respond, ( i.e.: "losing its vigour"), you are somehow quite emotionally bothered that about all I have left is to post in the OTD neck of the woods and you are now openly stating that I and all of the other OTD posting guys should just stop posting altogether. Sorry you feel that way. What else can I say? I have not lost my vigor. :D

At lunch, there'll be one topic that probably won't come up --- shaving.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Thank you for the invitation. It would be a pleasure.

Stan
jar

Post by jar »

brothers wrote: I have not lost my vigor. :D

At lunch, there'll be one topic that probably won't come up --- shaving.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bFTVi0hHs[/youtube]
brothers

Post by brothers »

:D Thanks for that!

PS: (I don't get it - :D !!!)
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

stanmog wrote: Instead, we have not only SOTD, but separate and redundant threads for brush of the day, soap OTD, razor OTD, cologne/aftershave OTD. Other than running up one's post count, what is the reason to have five places to describe one's daily shave? Often, a day's new posts are primarily OTD posts.

Regards,
Stan
The idea behind that was to give new members a place to post encouraging them to participate. It does serve that purpose on other shaving boards.
Regards,
Squire
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I like and respect the regulars here. It’s a shame that posts can go days or even a week or more with no response.
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

after those three took their contributions elsewhere. Some under new user names
I'm shocked! there's an elsewhere somewhere on the www other than smf????????????????????????????????? :D :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

'New user names' sounds so stealthy.
Regards,
Squire