Shows I'm anticipating - new seasons coming soon???

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
adhoc

Re: Shows I'm anticipating - new seasons coming soon???

Post by adhoc »

I highly recommend the German sci-fi show "Dark" on Netflix! The show begins with the disappearance of a child in the small German town Winden, the disappearance of the child is quickly revealed to be linked to a "time travel portal" under the town's nuclear powerplant. It's an absolutely brilliant show with amazing actors, beautiful cinematography and a fascinating – albeit – complicated story filled to the brim with time-travel paradoxes. Subtitles are of course required; if you can't speak German that is.
Olle
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

adhoc wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:23 pm I highly recommend the German sci-fi show "Dark" on Netflix! The show begins with the disappearance of a child in the small German town Winden, the disappearance of the child is quickly revealed to be linked to a "time travel portal" under the town's nuclear powerplant. It's an absolutely brilliant show with amazing actors, beautiful cinematography and a fascinating – albeit – complicated story filled to the brim with time-travel paradoxes.
Yeah, that one's engaging, but I think it's best to binge it since there is so much confusion about who is who and when is when.
Fortunately there's a wiki to help keep track of the "who", with mug shots of some characters at 2 or 3 different time periods - https://dark-netflix.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_Wiki
Subtitles are of course required; if you can't speak German that is.
I have to have the English audio track enabled AND english subtitles on.

The opening title scenes and theme music are very nice too. "Goodbye" by Apparat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqaVRQybdbQ
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Not a TV show, but a strong recommendation for those who can tolerate humour, satire, and catharsis. Go find a showing or buy a copy of Jojo Rabbit.

Imagine a tiny and inept Hitler Youth member called Jojo, with an imaginary friend called Adolph, who happens to be Hitler (yes, actually Hitler, for a change). Then there's the Jewish girl being hidden in the attic. I know, this sounds tasteless and offensive on so many levels. But hold your righteous anger as it will turn out to be misplaced; you'll be rewarded with a moving story that makes sense of horror via humour. Best movie I've seen in years.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

On the subject of subtitles, I've found that I can't ignore them when they're present. I seem to trust what I can read more than I trust what I can hear.

Years ago, when I lived in Portugal (and my hearing was still good), I went to one of the Star Wars films, in the original English with Portuguese subtitles. I caught myself, over and over again, busily reading the Portuguese subtitles!

- Murray
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:52 pm Not a TV show, but a strong recommendation for those who can tolerate humour, satire, and catharsis. Go find a showing or buy a copy of Jojo Rabbit.
I've got it bookmarked in Crave On Demand for future viewing.
Glad to hear a positive opinion about it.

Again on the topic of subtitles, for Japanese shows (anime, or live action) I prefer hearing the Japanese soundtrack while reading the English subtitles. After a while it's easy to get a sense of the mood of the speaker. I've picked up a few words and phrases (maybe 1 out of 100), but I'd be afraid to use them in front of a native Japanese speaker for fear of sounding like a 14-year old schoolgirl or something. :oops:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John, I, too, like to view films while hearing the original languages.

In Spain, they dub (dubbed?) their films. I saw The Sting, with Robert Redford and Paul Newman speaking Spanish in strange voices.

In Portugal, they only dub children's movies. The rest get subtitles, which I prefer.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

jojo rabbit was film of the decade, but for reasons unknown got swamped out by parasite. Another very good show to watch ( I cant sit through the violence, but ex that factoid, brilliant) is nordsemen, and the shows im waiting for the most....great british bake off and 90 day fiance :D :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

I just watched the trailer for Jojo Rabbit - it looks like a clever movie. I would probably be the only person in my house to like it, though.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Just finished Jojo Rabbit.
It was great.
I thought that 11-year old Roman Griffin Davis who played Jojo was amazing. He nailed it. It reminded me of watching Dakota Fanning in War of the Worlds.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, sometimes the most horrible things can only be approached sideways, through humour. Then we may understand just a little of them. Maybe enough, maybe not, but we try.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’ve just watched the first two episodes of Van der Valk. This is a 2020 remake of the 1972 series. It’s a crime drama set in Amsterdam. I watched the original series right through when it came out in 1972. The current re-make is very good, but seems grittier and rougher than I remember.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm almost finished with season 2 of Narcos Mexico. I understand it has been renewed for season three, and one of the new actors participating in the third season is the gentleman who portrayed Pablo Escobar in the first couple of Narcos series a few years back. I'm looking forward to it. The problem I have is that the bad guys keep on winning. The show is based on real events.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

I recommend Hinterland on Netflix. Very well done, in my opinion. 3 seasons so far. No nonsense straightforward current day detective drama.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

my nflx rec is for call my agent
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:15 am my nflx rec is for call my agent
Thx for the rec Clive! I'll give it a look-see.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Our most recent favorite TV series are Brokenwood (New Zealand) and Foyles War (England).
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:26 am Our most recent favorite TV series are Brokenwood (New Zealand) and Foyles War (England).
Don’t know Brokenwood, but Foyle’s War is excellent.
Bryan