What do you want for Christmas?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
churchilllafemme

What do you want for Christmas?

Post by churchilllafemme »

...if you celebrate it. I don't really need anything, but this is what I would like, if only my wife would allow it, a new lamp for the living room.
_______
John
EL Alamein

Re: What do you want for Christmas?

Post by EL Alamein »

All Clad cookware. D3 to be specific.

Otherwise I really don't want or need anything.

Chris
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

My daughter and son-in-law gave me the desktop version of The Leg Lamp for Christmas a few years. “A Christmas Story”, and “A Christmas Carol”, are my favourite Christmas movies and I watch them every year.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

This year our gift will be an extended visit from our daughter and her family. The grand daughters range from 3 to 18, and they bring much joy to us. Of course my wife is decorating with all the frills and she's very happy, which means I'm happy, of course. First time we've seen them over the Christmas holidays in 2 years. They are hoping we get snow while they're here. It's possible, but not likely.
Last edited by brothers on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

My wife and I have the same birthday in January. We give each other a gift of going somewhere. One year it was NYC at CHristmas, one year Mexico. Trying to decide for this year.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

A Terry's Chocolate Orange please ....... annual tradition since we married 37 years ago.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Terry's Chocolate Orange
one of lifes little pleasures :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Chris, i was thinking of you the other day when ups rolled up with a 12" d3 pan. Rumour on the www is that its the beez neez so of course i had to get one. What was a surprise is the weight....very light. A few months ago i treated myself to a carbon steel pan which i have fallen in luv with, BUT what a hassle to maintain, ergo the d3 purchase (sooooooooooooooooooo lazy!!!!) :D

clive
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:47 pm A Terry's Chocolate Orange please ....... annual tradition since we married 37 years ago.
My wife gives me one every Xmas. A too rich treat, but I love it.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:06 am
Chris, i was thinking of you the other day when ups rolled up with a 12" d3 pan. Rumour on the www is that its the beez neez so of course i had to get one. What was a surprise is the weight....very light. A few months ago i treated myself to a carbon steel pan which i have fallen in luv with, BUT what a hassle to maintain, ergo the d3 purchase (sooooooooooooooooooo lazy!!!!) :D

clive
Clive, when I first got my Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel frying pan I too found it a bit of hassle to maintain. But after using it several times I found it got easier and easier to maintain. I use it once a week and all I do after using it is to clean it out with a paper towel and then apply a very light coating of oil. In the past year I’ve re-seasoned the pan only once. The only negative with it is its weight being a lot heavier than I thought it would be; it’s nearly as heavy as my cast iron frying pan.
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

fallingwickets wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:06 am

clive
Clive, got one of those last year and I love it. I picked it over the Mauviel steel pans I was looking at and can't be happier.

Do you know the trick to making stainless non-stick (or any pan for that matter)? Heat the pan to the smoking point of the oil you're going to use in it and when the oil is smoking roll it around the pan then let it cool a bit while lowering the heat on the burner. I use homemade clarified butter for it but any oil will do just be mindful of the smoking point of said oil. I use an infrared thermometer to help with this, but be mindful that with stainless steel infrared thermometers are only accurate when the oil is in the pan. Otherwise they can give a false reading when empty. Something do due with the way they refract the infrared light but the oil mitigate this and gives a more accurate reading.

It sears perfectly and browns perfectly. I can use it to cook on the range and/or in the oven (French cooking requires this combination a lot). It's dishwasher safe and it will probably outlast me. Fantastic pan! I got a few more All Clads for Christmas last year but want a few more this year to round out my choices. Hoping Santa brings me what I want.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Chris, thanks for the non stick tip. if i understand you correctly, the non stick part is on a per use basis, or are you saying that this is a method to season a stainless steel pan?

with the carbon pan, i seasoned using the test kitchen method (oil, salt, potato skins) and then after every use dry on the stove and rub a little oil over the pan before storing. its definitely getting better after each use

clive
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Clive, it can be used either way. It's exactly a seasoning method as you're polymerizing the pan. I've read it's just like seasoning cast iron.

After it's done you can wipe out the pan and re-use or wash it and re-season. I like to re-season it as it's very easy and sometimes with scrambled eggs it's easier to just put the pan in the dishwasher and be done with it.

I like cooking with clarified butter (following the French method) so it's a cinch for me to re-season.

Hope it helps.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for clarifying :D :D

clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:18 am
Terry's Chocolate Orange
one of lifes little pleasures :D

clive
Indeed!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

One gift I was happy to receive was a device called PhotoStick 2.0 . A 128g thumb drive with software incorporated. Plugged it in the PC and it collected and saved all of the non-duplicate digital images and videos I've ever stored anywhere, cloud, phone and PC, and sorted them for any future need I might have.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Tom Dolty

Post by Tom Dolty »

I understand that it is almost impossible but it would be awesome to get a new apartment somewhere in a sunny country by the sea :D
Someday I will live here *fingers crossed*
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I still want more All Clad. :D

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tom Dolty wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:27 pm I understand that it is almost impossible but it would be awesome to get a new apartment somewhere in a sunny country by the sea :D
Welcome to SMF, Tom!

Many years ago, I lived on the south coast of Portugal, in the small and very old town of Faro. Although chilly in the winter, it was quite nice spring - fall, and a lot of Europeans came there for vacation. We had a street that had been blocked off to vehicular traffic and tiled over for pedestrians only. It was lined with small shops and sidewalk cafes. I remember walking down this street on summer nights, listening to people sitting outdoors at these cafes speaking in different languages. I thought it was wonderful! I, too, think of going back to such a place.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I still want more All Clad.
31 thumbs up to that sentiment :D

clive