NS shooter

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

NS shooter

Post by Rufus »

Absolutely shocking : a mass shooting in a Canada let alone a Nova Scotia is totally out of character and extraordinarily troubling. Not too far from you Chris, about 100 km where it all ended, it must have horrified and shaken up the entire community. Here I am on the outskirts of Toronto and I’m shaken to the core and incredibly sad. My condolences to all.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: NS shooter

Post by drmoss_ca »

Amazing that such a thing should happen here. Currently 10 dead and maybe more not yet discovered. Seems to have knocked on doors, shot people and set fire to the houses. No one needs this right now.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I always admired Canada as being a more compassionate and common sense aspiration of what the US should strive for. These things are all too common on our side of the border.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Very sad. I have no problem knowing he was taken into custody and died shortly thereafter. Unfortunately such tragedies are not limited by international boundaries.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I found this on BBC online. It appears the shooter impersonated an RCMP officer, with uniform and a car made to look like an official vehicle. This suggests a lot of planning and effort went into the crime.

My condolences to the Canadian people and to those who were directly affected.

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:21 pm I found this on BBC online. It appears the shooter impersonated an RCMP officer, with uniform and a car made to look like an official vehicle. This suggests a lot of planning and effort went into the crime.

My condolences to the Canadian people and to those who were directly affected.

- Murray
That’s correct; apparently he had a shrine to the RCMP in his home too. So far 17 dead, including the shooter and a veteran RCMP Constable who tried to stop him. I’m dumbfounded and at a loss for words.
Bryan
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

The place where they caught up to him was across a 4-lane divided highway from where I went to school for grades 4-7.
It's a good thing the school was closed for the weekend (and COVID-19).

The count is up to 22 now.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

FWIW, he was NOT a shooter. He was a murderer. I'm a shooter and I compete in the warmer months along with many tens of thousands of other shooters around the planet. Hunters are also shooters and there are millions of those. No, the gent in question may have misused a tool, but he was definitely not a shooter but a murderer. Please don't associate the likes of him with us.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Agreed.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ShadowsDad wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:32 am FWIW, he was NOT a shooter. He was a murderer. I'm a shooter and I compete in the warmer months along with many tens of thousands of other shooters around the planet. Hunters are also shooters and there are millions of those. No, the gent in question may have misused a tool, but he was definitely not a shooter but a murderer. Please don't associate the likes of him with us.
Yes, he was a murderer, a mass murderer in fact. Perhaps you should also make your point to the US Consul General in Halifax and to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, both of whom referred to “an active shooter” in their public communiques.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Out of context or even inappropriate for the purpose of this tragic discussion, perhaps. It's just a common term and It's merely semantic - it would be clearly impossible to demand law enforcement agencies start to label the suspect in an active pursuit of an armed killer as a "suspect at large with a firearm" instead of active shooter even though it's obvious. The average individual certainly understands and reacts with a high degree of alarm to the sensationalistic use of the phrase active shooter. One more thought - even while target shooting or hunting, the person pulling the trigger is absolutely an "active shooter". There's no better way to communicate with the public to alert them to what's happening at the moment in dire circumstances.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

We are not presently in dire circumstances, it's over. We can afford to be more precise at this time so as not to cast aspersions on innocent folks, many of whom are societies watchdogs.

People ultimately have what they want even if they never foresaw what the end result of the actions would be. I won't go any further.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Is was a nicely worded request, nothing more.
Brian

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

To complicate matters, some of the murders may have been committed by arson.
I am unclear as to whether or not shooting was involved in all of those cases.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And there was the Keystone Kops element of RCMP officers shooting up a firehall where people from Portapique were being evacuated. The killer wasn't even in that area...
The question has arisen as to whether the RCMP alerting the public via Twitter was appropriate, when the province was ready to use the cellphone mass alert system.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I found it interesting that the US consulate (am I getting that right?) alerted their people hours before the Canadian "powers that be" decided to do the same. Or so I heard from a gent in western Canada. He's following it, I'm not. Here in Maine, not far away it's no longer news worthy for the talking heads.
Brian

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, it's correct that the RCMP chose to use Twitter, whilst the US Consulate in Halifax chose to use e-mail. Neither one particularly useful in the small hours of the morning, when someone in an RCMP cruiser, wearing an RCMP uniform may come knocking on your door with malign intent...

I don't necessarily recommend it, but a province-wide cellphone alert suggesting everyone take their deer rifle to the front door and shoot anyone in an RCMP uniform who is unaccompanied by a second person in uniform might have reduced the body count.

And now a cellphone alert (I do hate that noise) has come in about shots fired near Halifax. I hope that is just the RCMP being hyperalert about these things, and not a copycat idiot.

"The Mounties Always Get Their Man" was what was written about the North West Mounted Police in the 1920's. Now - not so much.

Today:
The gunman took Const. Stevenson’s life. He also took Const. Stevenson’s sidearm and her magazines,” Supt. Campbell said. “A passerby who stopped was fatally shot."
The killer, who did not have a firearms licence but had a handgun registered in Canada and several long guns obtained in the U.S., stole the man’s SUV and drove to the home of a nearby denturist, Gina Goulet, and killed her.
Looks like once again, legal, responsible firearms owners who obey every law will be the ones to suffer from the inevitable crackdown following this event. That bastard had a stolen handgun (maybe the one he took from the Mountie he shot) and several illegal long guns (to be technically complete, he could have inherited them recently without needing a license to acquire, but would have needed to be licensed to continue owning them). But the fact remains he was a weirdo, who liked to fantasize that he was a police officer. He had a hit list written out of people who would be killed when the day came, and this was written long before the rather bizarre coincidence of a TV programme that some say triggered it all. He was ready to do it, and was prepared for it. Plainly, we have no mechanism for stopping such people, and I cannot imagine one that could work without draconian restrictions on all of us. Tighter restrictions on law-abiding citizens and their shooting hobbies will not make any difference to those who choose to acquire firearms illegally for criminal purposes.

I've said it before and here I go again: I am licensed to own 'restricted firearms' in Canada. I can go out and buy handguns, if I choose. But have I? Not one. They are not accurate enough and serve no purpose for me. But should any law-abiding citizen have the right to own a shotgun or rifle after appropriate background checks (that means the police, your family doctor and your spouse all have a say in the matter here)? Yes, absolutely! There are legitimate and legal reasons for enjoying shooting sports. I find myself in an awkward position, as I have no sympathy with the American loonies who feel their constitution means they can own as many full auto weapons as they like (1934 NFA notwithstanding), plus all the handguns and long guns that they dream of; this makes little sense and their society pays the price in terms of gun crime. But there is no reason for hunting and target weapons to be withheld from legally-qualified citizens who have never demonstrated any criminal behaviours at all. No doubt young Justin will be offering (OK, mandating) a frugal buyback price for the one restricted firearm I do own, which is restricted simply for a barrel one half inch shorter than allowed. I own it purely for historical interest. It's an M1 Carbine. Well, I have never even owned one round of ammunition for it, nor ever fired it, so I shan't care that much, except for the principle. Oh, well, one less legal difficulty for my widow if the bone marrow transplant doesn't materialize soon.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace