Face masks

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Re: Face masks

Post by brothers »

Enjoy your mask as you parade around on your high horse Tim. I'm finished with this debate. My opinion is unchanged and unchallenged.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm totally with you, Tim.

It's about doing the right thing, even if the government doesn't require it of you. Masks are proven to significantly reduce the spread of Covid.

I am 68 years old and have underlying health issues. I, too, implore those around me to wear masks, as I do for their sakes.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:56 pm Which do you prefer, the tieback model or the elastic over the year model
Sam, when we created our masks and started wearing them about 8 or 9 weeks ago we used large elastic pony tail holders to loop around the ears.
This is my wife.

Here's my 95 yr old Mom shortly afterward.

The pony tail holders worked quite well.

ironically, today June 1st is the day most of the COVID-19 local precautions have been downgraded. I met the wife for lunch today in a great little diner. There were about 30 people or more and not a single one was wearing a mask. The waitress laughed and said what a great day it is because we don't have to wear our masks any more.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Barry

Post by Barry »

I wear a mask outdoors and obviously at stores. To be honest I am doing my best to avoid others as much as I can.

I went through my fifth experience with a rare form of cancer in December. I was experiencing arm pain and scheduled an appointment with my orthopedic oncologist. She took one look at my X-ray, showed it to me, and then told me my arm was about to break due to a tumor and she hospitalized me that day. After she resected part of a bone I "enjoyed" an extended stay at the hospital and a rehab hospital but still recovered so quickly they were very much surprised. Unfortunately, the pain has returned and I am now in a bit of a bad spot. I'll learn more after some upcoming procedures.

Please wear a mask.
brothers

Post by brothers »

There is a new medical suggestion that the COVID-19 uses "aerosol transmission" to spread as far as 25 feet. Proponents emphasize the importance of masks when others are nearby.

Barry, your battle with ongoing health issues is courageous. You are doing your best. Prayers are going out for you. Stay strong!
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Chris (or anyone else with some familiarity with them), what do you think of clear plastic face shields instead of masks? A friend got some to try, and I've been using one lately.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Faceshields are not a substitute for a mask, but an added layer of protection against large droplets. This is useful if the larger droplets can infect any exposed mucous membrane, like that of the eyes. So if you're using an electric bone saw on someone with hepatitis B, it will prevent the mist of bone and blood particles from getting in your eyes (and it seems that a single virus particle will infect in the case of hepatitis B). I don't think we know if the coronavirus can infect any mucous membranes other than respiratory. Because that mode of infection is certain, masks remain important. aNon-medical masks, or ordinary surgical masks decrease the chance of transmission to others. Only N95 masks, which seal against the face on inspiration, reduce the chance of being infected. So why don't we all have N95 masks? They have to be fitted to a face, so that they make a good seal. They come in different shapes and sizes for this reason. Your protection against receiving the infection is that other people are wearing a mask, of any kind, which makes it hard for them to transmit the virus.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

sorry to hijack the thread, but on the subject of saws cutting bones etc, there is a new documentary on nflx that you gents might enjoy watching.....lenox.
https://g.co/kgs/LQDbPG

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Maybe more useful than bone saws (I really liked the Gigli saw):

Litany_Against_Fear.jpg
Litany_Against_Fear.jpg (251.32 KiB) Viewed 7180 times
Whenever asked "Star Trek or Star Wars?" I answer "Dune".
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

What I was hoping by using a face shield was to gain more protection for myself, have lower maintenance, and to breathe more easily, while not changing much the protection others get from me. I'm supposing that a cloth mask could absorb possible aerosols from the air.

In the countries where the use of masks wasn't contested (e.g., Taiwan), was anyone using just a shield instead?

Using both a cloth mask and a shield in a store seems a bit too cumbersome, though it makes sense when using a bone saw (or a dental drill), which are things I won't be using. :)

My approach to hand washing for years has been to wash twice in quick succession. Since my first rinse of soapy water has almost always been grayish, I'd re-wash in order to see a clean rinse. This now has the added benefit of guaranteeing enough time spent washing. What I've added to this routine is spending some of the time interlacing my fingers in and out.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The virus can fall out of the air and into the eyes. From the eyes there is a passage to the nose and throat. So if a face mask is used it needs to have a barrier of some sort that prevents cooties from falling from above.

Cloth masks aren't so much for the wearer but for other folks. Fauchi (sp?) now says to wear them for "respect". But they do help to prevent snot and that from getting into the air.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
am2016

Post by am2016 »

TRBeck wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:49 pm Bryan, I'm with you, but sticking it to the evil big government seems preferable to concern for others in me-first America. Covid-19 is real, masks actually help protect those around you, and not wearing one is no great demonstration of liberty but rather a perfect embodiment of me-first ideology.
Well-said.
am2016

Post by am2016 »

I wear N95 masks, not the original 3M version, but an equivalent made in China.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

TRBeck wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:49 pm Bryan, I'm with you, but sticking it to the evil big government seems preferable to concern for others in me-first America. Covid-19 is real, masks actually help protect those around you, and not wearing one is no great demonstration of liberty but rather a perfect embodiment of me-first ideology.
An article in the July/August Atlantic, “Florida Man”, summed it up rather well. Here is a pertinent excerpt,

“How long before a society of atomized individuals rightfully following only their desires, heedless of what they owe others, destroys itself?”

And another,

“…elevating the rights of individuals to do whatever the hell they want, society and the environment be damned…”
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rufus wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:47 pm
An article in the July/August Atlantic, “Florida Man”, summed it up rather well. Here is a pertinent excerpt,

“How long before a society of atomized individuals rightfully following only their desires, heedless of what they owe others, destroys itself?”

And another,

“…elevating the rights of individuals to do whatever the hell they want, society and the environment be damned…”
Effective yesterday, we should ask the residents of Hong Kong how they like it now that the individual who exercises his or her individual freedoms is subject to any and all penalties (short of death) deemed inappropriate.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:13 pm
Rufus wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:47 pm

And another,

Effective yesterday, we should ask the residents of Hong Kong how they like it now that the individual who exercises his or her individual freedoms is subject to any and all penalties (short of death) deemed inappropriate.
A complete and utter non sequitur. To put as bluntly as possible this total lack of logic is from a different planet. There is none as blind as those who won’t see. Think about it.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Don't make me do it, boys.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

:D I'm as puzzled by the hysterics as anyone else. Two or three guys seem to have decided I personally am and have been leading a nationwide movement against wearing a mask to prevent the spread of Covid-19. This is inaccurate. The fact is that I carry and wear my masks daily when I'm in public. I do it because it works and it's highly and generally recommended. Neither you nor I have authority to force others to do or to wear anything. Where is your maturity and tolerance? You think you know something about me that gives you permission to mock and vilify me. Please redirect your contempt elsewhere.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Rufus wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:46 pm A complete and utter non sequitur. To put as bluntly as possible this total lack of logic is from a different planet. There is none as blind as those who won’t see. Think about it.
Bryan/Rufus - are you of the opinion that my service as an American citizen war-fighter was all about me (me first) fifty-one years ago when I left a young wife at home and served my country as an infantryman in combat? So are you of the opinion I did not earn the right to advocate? Tell us about your service, as a Canadian. There were 9 young people arrested in Hong Kong the day after the new mandate was issued. Their crime: carrying posters critical of the government. Soon - but not yet - we will have American citizens getting arrested for similarly innocuous crimes (not wearing their masks as they protest such a mandate). Do citizens of foreign nations (you) have credibility and standing to challenge my opinion as a war veteran and citizen of my own country? As to your own blindness, I'd advise you to think about it. Again, you wear yours and I wear mine and have no problems with that. (PS: This is actually off-topic, as we are not debating or discussing the wearing of masks.)
Gary