Face masks

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Face masks

Post by Sam »

Which do you prefer, the tieback model or the elastic over the year model
CMur12

Re: Face masks

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Sam. I was fortunate to obtain a face mask. Mine has the elastic loops over the ears, which works well for me. It doesn't pull on the ears or cause any discomfort there, and it holds the mask in position. I haven't tried the kind with ties, but it would clearly require more effort to put it on.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

When wearing one all day, I think you'll find the tied version more comfortable, and you soon figure out how to drop the top tie down the back of your neck so the mask can fold under your chin when you need to eat or drink. Elastic on the ears gets painful after a while if even a little too tight.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

elastic because i dont have the wherewithal to tie the knots!!! LOL
de gustibus non est disputandum
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:26 am When wearing one all day, I think you'll find the tied version more comfortable, and you soon figure out how to drop the top tie down the back of your neck so the mask can fold under your chin when you need to eat or drink. Elastic on the ears gets painful after a while if even a little too tight.
This was my experience also, when in medical training/practice at the hospital. However, for short-term wear, the ear elastic type are more convenient.
_______
John
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

mask.jpg
mask.jpg (20.53 KiB) Viewed 7591 times
I've been using a tie-on version made from an old t-shirt, pattern from the CDC website. Yesterday I bought a few ear-loop versions, with half the cost going to a local food bank.
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think the mask fetish for the everyday lay person will die out pretty soon. Down here in the boonies we've pretty well gravitated back to no mask.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

We have to have one for court and other buildings
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Glad to hear it, Gary, as long as it's a decision based on risk of infection, rather than, well, anything else at all. There have been zero cases of diagnosed Covid-19 disease in the county where I live, but we have all been doing the social-distance-dance. Have there actually been zero cases? That's another matter, as so many are asymptomatic. The province next door, New Brunswick, has had no new cases for two weeks, and then yesterday a new case springs up from 'nowhere'. That kind of nowhere is wherever the virus can survive for two weeks without being recognised as causing disease. Probably not inanimate objects (and, please god, not other hosts like Canadian bats), so who else shall we look at other than asymptomatic people? Evidently the virus in that new case was transmitted to him by someone else who was undiagnosed because he, in turn, had no symptoms. When we discuss the 'second wave' we assume without examination that the virus is still somewhere in our environment, just waiting for someone to be susceptible. And rightly so: take measles, a disease we oh-so-nearly eradicated like smallpox and rinderpest. But thanks to that a**hole Wakefield, people started refusing the vaccine and guess what? People now die of measles. The same happened with polio until the islamic nutjobs in northern Nigeria decided vaccination was a plot against them. Even mumps and diphtheria have made a comeback just as soon as we fail to immunise. Bugs survive, and wait, wait until their time comes again.

Thanks to loons like Wakefield, and also the internet, there will be people who refuse a Covid-19 vaccine when one is available. It might be conspiracy theories, it might be politics, but it won't be cold, stochastic, reason that guides that decision. And Covid-19 will become an ongoing pleasure in our lives as a result. The scary thing that is currently unresolved about this virus is that people seem to be vulnerable to new infections after surviving the first, which means that an immunisation might not give permanent or long-lasting protection. Now imagine that world. Rather like the one our forebears lived in, briefly, before almost anything that came along would kill them.

I don't mean to jump on you, Gary, for using the word 'fetish', but I do want to make clear to anyone who might read this that a mask is only a fetish if it serves NO purpose. We know a mask is unlikely to save us from acquiring the virus, but we know just as well that if we have the virus it will help stop us from infecting others. It is an unintuitive act to wear a mask that is not for our benefit, but for the benefit of others. Anyone who has worked in an operating room is comfortable with the concept, but the general public sees masks as personal protection, not something for protecting someone else. Maybe it helps to say to ourselves that if we all wear masks, no one gets the disease? It's very nearly true, and the only justification for making the effort.

We all want the economy to restart. Do it too soon, and suffer more waves of infection with more shutdowns and more economic loss is one path. Wait too long and suffer needless economic loss is the other extreme. In between those two paths, there are two right answers; one which minimises loss of life, and one which minimises economic losses. Which of those you should choose is way beyond my paygrade. But that's what you are deciding, and you all ought to understand exactly what you are deciding, when you choose to wear a mask or not, go out or not, visit someone or not, invade your state capitol with guns or not, and so on and so forth. Now go and be sensible!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

No offense taken.😎 It's not just me of course. Our human nature is obviously infinitely complex. Somewhere on the scale are those who abhor change and authority in most forms. Somewhere in the other direction are those who covet authority however they gain it. "wear your mask!" vs. "H*ll No!" There are alternative contexts we should consider, but to every thesis there is an anti-thesis. To some, it appears to be a case of an extreme and unlawful abuse of petty local authority vs the exercise of basic freedom. To others it is explained as a friendly attempt to force the faceless masses to avoid illness and death. which we all know is unavoidable.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I made this one a few weeks ago, and more recently added the 'stache.
'<br />'Stache Mask Selfie
'
'Stache Mask Selfie
Stache Mask Selfie.jpg (73.28 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
The elastic ear loops were from thin bungee cords salvaged from fiberglass dome tent poles.
What you can't see is the narrow (4 mm) non-elastic black ribbon sewn into loops over the elastic ear loops.
This takes a lot of the tension off the back of the ears, and you can pull it down when out in the open or for eating, etc.
The wire over the nose is a wide plastic double-wire twisty salvaged from a cookie bag. Some re-closable coffee bags have them too. The plastic coating should keep it from rusting in the wash.
The moustache was cut from a black fabric iron-on patch. And then ironed on.

Version 2 shall have some feature that prevents your breath from fogging up glasses. Maybe a thin strip of memory foam across the inside top edge. Instead of wire I'll use a 1/2" wide strip of sheet aluminum cut from scraps of flashing leftover from the roof reno.
drmoss_ca wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm...That kind of nowhere is wherever the virus can survive for two weeks without being recognised as causing disease. Probably not inanimate objects (and, please god, not other hosts like Canadian bats)...
They would have to survive the White-nose Syndrome first.
The poor things.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I considered a Death's Head Moth design, but thought better of it.

Besides, it would've involved some detailed embroidery.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:40 pm No offense taken.😎 It's not just me of course. Our human nature is obviously infinitely complex. Somewhere on the scale are those who abhor change and authority in most forms. Somewhere in the other direction are those who covet authority however they gain it. "wear your mask!" vs. "H*ll No!" There are alternative contexts we should consider, but to every thesis there is an anti-thesis. To some, it appears to be a case of an extreme and unlawful abuse of petty local authority vs the exercise of basic freedom. To others it is explained as a friendly attempt to force the faceless masses to avoid illness and death. which we all know is unavoidable.
Gary, I think Dr Chris has put it very well and politely; I agree with him unreservedly. I would add that there are certain key elements that seem to be sadly lacking by those most vociferously espousing their rights and freedoms: their obligations and responsibilities, which, whether they like it or not, go hand-in-hand with their rights and freedoms.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

TRBeck wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:58 am FREEDOM!
Somehow, you just reminded me of what happened to Mel Gibson in the final scenes of Braveheart! Image
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tim, you've made an excellent point by the example --- one does what one chooses, including making bad decisions such as those you've listed. The point you've highlighted is that we, the individual, are the decision-makers, many times to our own detriment, including the decision to disobey the law. Obviously we do not have, nor do others have, the right to dictate (other than by law or regulation) what others must do. There's no law where I live that requires me to wear a face mask or take other actions such as quitting a perfectly good job and staying inside my house for any certain period of time. That's real freedom worth fighting for. Living in imagined concern for what others might demand me to choose to do, fear, think or judge is less than optimal.
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:50 pm Tim, you've made an excellent point by the example --- one does what one chooses, including making bad decisions such as those you've listed. The point you've highlighted is that we, the individual, are the decision-makers, many times to our own detriment, including the decision to disobey the law. Obviously we do not have, nor do others have, the right to dictate (other than by law or regulation) what others must do. There's no law where I live that requires me to wear a face mask or take other actions such as quitting a perfectly good job and staying inside my house for any certain period of time. That's real freedom worth fighting for. Living in imagined concern for what others might demand me to choose to do, fear, think or judge is less than optimal.
What about to the detriment of others? Along with rights and freedoms come responsibilities and obligations; the one thing “dictating” the latter is civil society.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

TRBeck wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:49 pm Bryan, I'm with you, but sticking it to the evil big government seems preferable to concern for others in me-first America. Covid-19 is real, masks actually help protect those around you, and not wearing one is no great demonstration of liberty but rather a perfect embodiment of me-first ideology.
Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
How many of the unfortunate deceased COVID-19 victims worldwide actually wore masks? We have been told that we, the over-65 individuals, are supposed to be wearing masks to keep ourselves from getting sick.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I don't think anyone is judging you, Gary, and your comments on liberty are well appreciated. But airborne transmission of viruses takes place in two ways: droplets, which are relatively large and spray out from a cough or sneeze, and as an aerosol, which has microscopic moisture particles, and which are infectious from coughs, sneezes and ordinary exhalation. Wearing a mask might hamper transmission of these modes of infection. Turns out that a mask works both ways for traditional large droplets - you can neither give nor receive. But masks are only helpful against the exhalation of aerosols - most of the tiny droplets are caught in the mask, making the reception by someone else less likely. The wearer of the mask may still inhale such aerosol particles around the sides of the mask (that's what the N95 standard is about - a good fit of mask to face that will suck in and seal as soon as you start to inhale, so inhaled air is almost all coming through the mask rather than around it). That's why I likened it to wearing a mask in an operating room; you don't do it for your sake, you do it for the sake of the poor SOB with his abdomen wide open on the table.

Now you may live where this no law requiring a mask, and so do I. I'm not sick (at least, not with the coronavirus) but I will wear a mask outside. It signals that if I do have the disease I will not give it to others, and hints to them they should pay me the same courtesy, which is the gain in the whole process for me. It's not legislation, regulation or even suggestion. It's self-interest and good manners intersecting quite nicely. So if we have responsibilities not only to ourselves, but also to out friends and neighbours, we must take such things into account, no matter whether our governments tell us so or not. It's good manners and being responsible. Love thy neighbour and all that, combined with self-interest - sounds like a plan!

The entire debate of whether it is better to ignore the whole thing, accept the deaths of those most vulnerable and a few unlucky healthy people and keep the economy in tip top shape, or better to be paranoid about infection, destroy the economy and harm peoples' lives through economic disaster is a conundrum I cannot answer. Let us hope this does not go on long enough for us to discover the answer through bitter experience.

Just as clear is the fact we - we as in all of us outside the Middle Kingdom - must consider how we shall relate to China in the future. I doubt anyone is surprised they chose to cover up the escape of the virus, nor that they continued to lie about it as long as they could. Such a level of dishonesty, and carelessness ought not to be a trait of a close trading partner. We must rethink our globalized economy.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

As one might notice, I and large numbers of others are beside ourselves with the "new normal" that seems to have upended our universe. As I said elsewhere, it's not just me, it's millions of others worldwide. One tends to feel that there are a lot of simplistic do-gooders finding they might have a bit of recent "authority" to impose heretofore never anticipated mandates upon small pockets of citizens. Who knows where this circumstance might end up? Will the mere imposition of social distancing and the wearing of masks really bring about the end of suffering for all of mankind? Does anyone believe that?
Gary