Ducks in the yard

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Ducks in the yard

Post by brothers »

Lately my wife's been tossing some deer corn out in the front yard for the squirrels, birds, bunnies and ducks (Mallards). We enjoy sitting out on the front porch and enjoying the animals and birds. She's got two couples of mallards that come by from time to time, one is Donald and Daisy, and the other is Wally and Puddles. Then there's a group of all male mallards (between 5 and 7 of them), who also pay us a visit periodically. People who pass by are always happy when they notice the wildlife.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Re: Ducks in the yard

Post by John Rose »

Large wild (but harmless) birds around the house are great. It's like having a pet that you never have to take to the vet.
We see a lot of Ring-necked Pheasants out the window over the kitchen sink. They come by looking for whatever the small birds knock down from the hanging feeders.
Amazing colours in direct sunlight. A few of them were of a melanistic variety, with no white neck rings but with purple breast feathers.

Our town has a waterfowl park, and now there are goslings and ducklings. As soon as you see the ducklings, all stress just drains out of you. If Japan has "owl cafes", I think a "duckling cafe" in a city would be very popular.

I shot this video a few years ago:
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

Makes me smile every time. :) Thanks for sharing the video.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Makes me smile every time. :) Thanks for sharing the video.
ditto on the sentiments and 73 thumbs up on the thread

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

brothers wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:28 am Makes me smile every time. :)
I know.
I'm just glad that there was a happy ending with a tearful reunion.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's been a while since the ducks started visiting the yard in search of some yummy corn. It was mating season, and soon they didn't visit very often for two or three months. Then, as of yesterday, the mother ducks brought their young offspring over for a snack. I counted 27 ducks at the same time! =D>
Ducks in the yard 092020.jpg
Ducks in the yard 092020.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 5559 times
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

what a sight! enjoy while you can

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

brothers wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:25 amI counted 27 ducks at the same time!
That must've been a challenge, the way the wander around. :wink: