boots

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

boots

Post by Sam »

I have four pairs of boots in the last year or so. All in the brown family. One, my fave, are Double H and are rubber-soled and I think they are work boots. Another is Lucchesse Ostrich ropers, and then some Frye side zip harness boots. Then I got a pair of Allen Edmonds Normandy but do not like the laceup feature nor how they look. Not into the Redwing Iron Rangers look or the Irish Setters.

So I am thinking since all of my boots are brown, and I have no black shoes other than dress (a pair of Ferragamo bit loafers are too dressy with jeans), maybe a black pair are in order. In this regard, I am torn between a pair of Dan Post Mignon black leather or Ariat Heritage Ropers. Would wear them with jeans and khakis and occassional blue dress pants and a sweater. I am thinking Caiman is way out there and would probably work better for me in a brown. Lizard, I am warming up to and would consider Tecovas if they had black.

The stitching on the Dan Post may not work with a dressier pair of pants,but the slightly taller heel in the back made the boots feel comfortable. My feet rest more on the ball of the foot and not as much pressure on the arch. Sorta like how the Lucchesse are. The Ariat is a lower heel being a roper and is more like the Double H.

Pros of the Dan Post: I like the look and the heel. Downside, that slick leather sole.
pics here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dan-Post-Black ... 3723535285

Pros of the Ariats: Probably more comfortable if I am going to be on my feet all day. Rubber sole, orthotic insert they have. $40 cheaper.
pics here: https://www.ariat.com/HERITAGE_ROPER_M_ ... olor=BLACK

Alternative is a pair of Black Frye side or back zip; The toe and vamp area will be smooth, no lacing or ornamentation. However, I will be unable to try them on since they are not in my city. pics here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254732707722?V ... 4732707722

Wife did not like suede or the chelsea style and I am not wanting chukkas

Anyone got any suggestions?
brothers

Re: boots

Post by brothers »

Those Frye boots on ebay would be my choice. Tecovas might be open to a personal request for a black pair. Wouldn't hurt to ask! I'll be interested to see which boot you finally decide on.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gary: Wife loves the Frye and they probably would have been more versatile. Downsides: Can not try them on locally. My one pair of Frye like that in brown, I wear a 9.5 and have an insole. Dont know if the 9 would be tight or not.

I was able to try on an Ariat locally and had to go to a 10. the one in the thread above had no stitching on the toe. I found a pair on ebay, normally $139.00 locally and tax, for $60 shipped and got these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Boots-Bla ... 2749.l2649

If they work, a bargain. If not, I can sell and try the Dan Post and try to find a new pair on ebay for less than the $180 retail
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I don't know what you think of Blundstone, but my lightly used pair disintegrated this last winter. The rubber soles simply split across where they flex. Rather disappointing for what was a reputable and not inexpensive brand, but I hear quality has plummeted after production was moved out of Australia.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the blundstone experience is not good newz. Im on my second pair of blundstone's (https://www.blundstone.com/stout-brown- ... -style-500) and im close to needing pair 3. I love mine. I wear them every day. The ones i have now are 2+ years old. From pronation the heels are wearing down, but other than that, pure shoe bliss. To wonder about the quality is a bit disconcerting

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have a pair of Lucchese Ropers in Black Cherry Goat. The Black Cherry colour is very versatile and much more interesting than plain old black.

I agree. Maybe if I wait a few months. They had that and a pair of Dan Post. The Post looked richer in color and the shaft work was nice But could not go wrong with the Luchesse Roper. I have brown/tan ostrich (full quill) by Lucchese in a roper
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

If my wife liked the elastic sides, Id have a pair in black and be done
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

If my wife liked the elastic sides, Id have a pair in black and be done
rumour on the fashinista corner of the www is that a gents shoe collection is not complete or proper without a pair of chelsea's feel free to share this tidbit of info with the wifeee

:D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

A quality pair of Chelsea boots are always very smart. I don’t understand your wife’s aversion to elastic sides. But my wife has similar aversions to some of my sartorial choices, eg kilts and Argyll sweaters and socks, which I attribute to her being Sassenach (English) and me being Scottish. We have, however, developed a modus vivendi, which allows me to dress my way and her to have her opinions.
Bryan
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:58 am If my wife liked the elastic sides, Id have a pair in black and be done
Sam, do you now have that pair of Chelsea boots with elastic sides you lust after?
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Bryan, no. Three pair of cowboy boots
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A cowboy lawyer? Hmm....
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Only for casual wear. Or maybe to dinner Not to court. I’m not that bold
brothers

Re: work boots

Post by brothers »

I wore out my final pair of cowboy boots about 30 years ago. I do have a relatively new pair of lace-up Red Wings with steel toes that I use for heavy work projects. Last month we had an ice storm of catastrophic proportions that resulted in widespread tree damage of epic proportions. I had to buy a cordless 14" chain saw and ended up taking down and discarding about 15 mature volunteer hackberry trees in an elderly person's yard. A project that required heavy duty footwear which was exactly why I have the boots. They don't look very pretty, but they'll probably outlast me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Went to a Tecovas store in Atlanta. Got a pair of pecan-colored full quill ostrich cowboy boots. They have a model called the Earl, in scotch goat, and when I go to Nashville at the end of April, I will try them on.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I got a second pair of Tecovas,the Relic Lizard. Go check them out, they look better in person

Even though I don't need them, the scotch goat Earls are calling my name