Black jeans and jeans in general

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Black jeans and jeans in general

Post by Sam »

So, if you don't hate jeans, your thoughts on black jeans? And if you are not against them,. any limitations, such as, only on younger, skinnier men? Or appropriate say at night for an older gentleman with perhaps a sportscoat, or even weekends?

Also are Levi’s what they were? 501? Or Lee? Wrangler? I have some 7 for All Mankind Jeans that fit me well. Got some new black cowboy boots coming. I don’t have boot cut jeans but the straight leg seems to work well with the boots I do have
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Black jeans and jeans in general

Post by fallingwickets »

FYI....from ny mag a few days ago

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/be ... iewed.html

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Thanks Clive. I will probably get Levis, Lee or Wranglers.; When I lose some weight, there is a store in Nashville called Imogene and Willie's that sorta makes a custom pair for you around $200 and that is about the price of the Japanese and niche brands in the article. Right now, I have a husky tummy, lol, and Levi 501, 511, or 505 (these have tapered legs) seem to be what I might get. Wrangler has a little more generous cut in the rear and legs since cowboys work in them and ride in them, but I have smaller legs, thights and but for the husky belly, Levis have always fit me well
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I’ve a pair of black Levis 516. I like the cut and fit of them, but I find the denim heavy. I prefer lighter weight material and tend to stick with jeans from Tommy Bahama and Brax. I think that black jeans look good, certainly more to my taste than the washed out blues that are all too common.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, I bought a pair of black Wranglers a couple of years ago because I wanted a change from the blue jeans, and I like wearing them. I think they'd go quite well with boots and a jacket.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Rufus wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:11 am I’ve a pair of black Levis 516. I like the cut and fit of them, but I find the denim heavy. I prefer lighter weight material and tend to stick with jeans from Tommy Bahama and Brax. I think that black jeans look good, certainly more to my taste than the washed out blues that are all too common.
I prefer the darker blue jeans and no rips. I have seen Brax locally, and will consider those. I like the stretch in the 7's but they kinda stretch out by the end of the day. I'll certainly take my wife with me shopping. I do have a pair of 1969 jeans from Joseph A.Bank and they are quite good looking on me. May try that store for black, The jeans there were $69, not bad.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

brothers wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:17 am Sam, I bought a pair of black Wranglers a couple of years ago because I wanted a change from the blue jeans, and I like wearing them. I think they'd go quite well with boots and a jacket.
I don't see Wranglers out when I shop. Maybe Tractor Supply Company may have them.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:33 am
brothers wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:17 am Sam, I bought a pair of black Wranglers a couple of years ago because I wanted a change from the blue jeans, and I like wearing them. I think they'd go quite well with boots and a jacket.
I don't see Wranglers out when I shop. Maybe Tractor Supply Company may have them.
Here in Canada I’ve bought them at Walmart.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Walmart for me. Tractor Supply does sell them on the website, they are called the Dress Jean. Regardless, Amazon (of course!). :D The prices are very reasonable, compared to some other name brands.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gary. Bryan. How does the Wrangler you buy compare to say Levi’s in fit
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:51 pm Gary. Bryan. How does the Wrangler you buy compare to say Levi’s in fit
I prefer the fit of my Levis and my Lee jeans. I ended up giving my Wranglers to the Salvation Army; unfortunately I don’t remember what specifically I didn’t like about the Wranglers other than the overall fit. Overall, I prefer my Brax and Tommy Bahama jeans to my Levis and Lee jeans because of the material they use, but they are a lot more expensive.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Wranglers are the only ones I have. I haven't owned a pair of Levi's or Lees in a very long time.
Gary

kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Eddie Bauer, $40. Consistent sizing.
Ed
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Sam wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:56 am Thanks Clive. I will probably get Levis, Lee or Wranglers.; When I lose some weight, there is a store in Nashville called Imogene and Willie's that sorta makes a custom pair for you around $200 and that is about the price of the Japanese and niche brands in the article. Right now, I have a husky tummy, lol, and Levi 501, 511, or 505 (these have tapered legs) seem to be what I might get. Wrangler has a little more generous cut in the rear and legs since cowboys work in them and ride in them, but I have smaller legs, thights and but for the husky belly, Levis have always fit me well
Ah, yes. In my case, I have the Pandemic Paunch...
Regards,
Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

many years ago i switched from lee's to wrangler (fyi, also avail from target). I squat and deadlift often and so my thighs etc dont match the rest of my body....wrangler is an affordable and comfortable jean to wear. Sort of on topic, i treated myself to a custom dress shirt.....BEST IDEA evahhh. This thread has planted the seed to look into a custom made jean. thanks enablers!!!! :D :D :D

clive
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Clive, I am to the point that I would rather have one pair of jeans I just love then to have three pair just to be having three pair; 99% of people I would run into would never know I had just one pair of jeans or that I even wore them three days in a row. Let me lose 20 lbs and I will get custom made jeans.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:21 am many years ago i switched from lee's to wrangler (fyi, also avail from target). I squat and deadlift often and so my thighs etc dont match the rest of my body....wrangler is an affordable and comfortable jean to wear. Sort of on topic, i treated myself to a custom dress shirt.....BEST IDEA evahhh. This thread has planted the seed to look into a custom made jean. thanks enablers!!!! :D :D :D

clive
Take a look at Detroit Denin for bespoke jeans. They were featured on A Craftsman’s Legacy, season 4.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ll look at detroit...thanks

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

detroit denim doesnt cater to fatties...38 is top size :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

btw, for the skinny gents here, they are having a rather significant sale

clive