Socks

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Socks

Post by Sam »

I have tried to find decently priced, quality wool socks that do not fade too quickly in the wash. I have tried Gold Toe (wool blend, the cotton ones and even bamboo) and others.

I bought a pair of Sockwell compression socks made from a blend of 32% Merino Wool, 31% Bamboo Rayon, 32% Stretch Nylon, and 5% Spandex. So far they are holding up well and I like the compression socks because they make my legs feel better at the end of the day. They are not, however, cheap. I got a pair of these to try rather than ragg boot socks from Costco,which I have. They have Moderate compression. First pair of over the calf socks I ever bought, felt kinda weird at first, but my socks never fell down. Tried some Smartwool Crew Length PHD outdoor socks, hiking suppossedly, and they fall down.

I have tried some Nordstrom wool socks and it is like 40% wool. I need some dress socks and socks with jeans and khakis and well, the Nordstrom socks wear out quickly in the heel and toe area. So I need to consider others, maybe at the $10 a pair price point,

Also, any other suggestions for breathable wool socks for boots, maybe a tall crew length for cowboy boots?
Kyle76

Re: Socks

Post by Kyle76 »

Bean makes a good boot sock, and I also wear ThorLo hiking socks regularly, including with my cowboy boots.

https://www.amazon.com/Thorlos-Unisex-L ... 175&sr=8-9
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Icebreaker, Smartwool, Darn Tough and Danish Endurance make good socks across the spectrum of uses.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm happy with my Hanes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
celar36

Post by celar36 »

I am in same boat here

Big research done to zero results of happiness
Jack
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The nicest socks I've ever owned were from Gammarelli, a Rome tailoring business that has catered to the Vatican for over two hundred years. Their socks are black (for priests), purple (bishops), red (cardinals) and white for Il Papa.
The red ones made of merino wool are comfortable, don't slip down and certainly don't fade. They are expensive though, and you can only buy them from Mes Chaussettes Rouge in Paris. Like all wool socks, eventually they will go thin and get a hole in the heel, but it took my six pairs of weekday wear some years of before I had to replace them. Weekends were Mazarin yellow socks in a cotton lisle which were bright and cheerful but definitely not long lasting. (perhaps I should mention that we colour-coded our socks in the household to avoid getting them mixed up coming out of the laundry, red and yellow for me, black and orange for Thomas, and everything else for Pippa. Strange, but we never claimed to be normal. Anyway, at €22 a pair, they were actually good value given how good and long lasting they were.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:45 am The nicest socks I've ever owned were from Gammarelli, a Rome tailoring business that has catered to the Vatican for over two hundred years. Their socks are black (for priests), purple (bishops), red (cardinals) and white for Il Papa.
The red ones made of merino wool are comfortable, don't slip down and certainly don't fade. They are expensive though, and you can only buy them from Mes Chaussettes Rouge in Paris. Like all wool socks, eventually they will go thin and get a hole in the heel, but it took my six pairs of weekday wear some years of before I had to replace them. Weekends were Mazarin yellow socks in a cotton lisle which were bright and cheerful but definitely not long lasting. (perhaps I should mention that we colour-coded our socks in the household to avoid getting them mixed up coming out of the laundry, red and yellow for me, black and orange for Thomas, and everything else for Pippa. Strange, but we never claimed to be normal. Anyway, at €22 a pair, they were actually good value given how good and long lasting they were.
Chris, thanks for the referral. I don’t find their Merino wool socks overly expensive. It’s hard to find high quality wool socks these days, so I’ll be giving them a try. They even have Argyle socks in wool which are vey hard to come by. I don’t like cotton socks, as cotton doesn’t absorb sweat very well so by the end of the day I feel as though I’m standing in a swamp.
Bryan
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

In the beginning there was Smartwool, currently selling for $18-20 a pair in stores. The magic ingredient is Merino wool, which does not itch, and the socks are machine washable with minimal shrinking. Have located similar socks on eBay and Sierra trading post from other sources such as REI, Gander Mtn., etc., much more reasonable. Do a search on: socks Merino wool.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufust445 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:07 pm In the beginning there was Smartwool, currently selling for $18-20 a pair in stores. The magic ingredient is Merino wool, which does not itch, and the socks are machine washable with minimal shrinking. Have located similar socks on eBay and Sierra trading post from other sources such as REI, Gander Mtn., etc., much more reasonable. Do a search on: socks Merino wool.
I’m well acquainted with Smartwool, Icebreaker, Darn Tough, Danish Endurance, etc Merino wool socks. They all make quality socks, but I don’t find them very comfortable because they all have “arch support” woven in. With a high instep these socks can become uncomfortable over the space of a day because the “arch support” puts pressure on my instep. Also, they only make a few models that don’t have cushioned soles; cushioned soles, regardless if the cushioning is only light, combined with “arch support” is not a comfortable combination for me at all.
Bryan