Green tea

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Shavermeister

Re: Green tea

Post by Shavermeister »

Let's not pretend green tea tastes good. People drink it for the health benefits. It's the same thing with dark chocolate. It tastes horrible, but it has many health benefits.

Jim
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Welcome, Jim, I think - an argumentative start to your life here! Tastes mature as people do, and there are many tastes that older tongues delight in yet seem repulsive to youngsters. Green tea and dark chocolate are good examples. There is also the issue of a genetic oversensitivity to sourness: that is lifelong and the best practical test for it is to eat kale. If it's boring "greenfood" (remember that movie?) you don't have the gene. If it tastes like toilet cleaner you do.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Jim, it's good to see you here. :D My story is similar. For example, I love the dark chocolate any way I can get it, and I enjoy my daily large green tea. On the other hand, after reading the health benefits from Apple Cider vinegar, I picked up a big bottle of it at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago. Poured myself a nice big glass of it and expected something along the lines of apple juice or apple cider. YOWEEE!!! That was/is the most repulsive substance I've ever experienced. It set my throat afire and took a few moments of complete horror! I tried toning it down by adding only about 2 tablespoons in a glass of cold water, but I just poured the big bottle down the drain. Horrible! I recall accidentally getting some gasoline in my mouth about 40 years ago, and up to now, I thought that was the worst, but now there are two substances in that category. :evil:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Post by Gene »

Love dark chocolate. Green tea is drinkable, but not great.

But - I agree that Apple Cider vinegar is the worst.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And frankly, if you think that drinking vinegar of any kind will improve your health.....well, the less said the better.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Shavermeister

Post by Shavermeister »

drmoss_ca wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:30 am Welcome, Jim, I think - an argumentative start to your life here! Tastes mature as people do, and there are many tastes that older tongues delight in yet seem repulsive to youngsters. Green tea and dark chocolate are good examples. There is also the issue of a genetic oversensitivity to sourness: that is lifelong and the best practical test for it is to eat kale. If it's boring "greenfood" (remember that movie?) you don't have the gene. If it tastes like toilet cleaner you do.

Chris
Thanks for the warm welcome, and you make a compelling point. It's fascinating how taste preferences can change over time, and I appreciate the insight into the maturation of tastes. The genetic oversensitivity to sourness and the kale test add an interesting twist to the discussion. I'll have to give it a try and see where my taste buds stand on the "greenfood" spectrum. Looking forward to more flavourful conversations!

Jim
Shavermeister

Post by Shavermeister »

drmoss_ca wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:33 am And frankly, if you think that drinking vinegar of any kind will improve your health.....well, the less said the better.
Exactly. I'm with you on that.

Jim
Shavermeister

Post by Shavermeister »

brothers wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:25 am Hi Jim, it's good to see you here. :D My story is similar. For example, I love the dark chocolate any way I can get it, and I enjoy my daily large green tea. On the other hand, after reading the health benefits from Apple Cider vinegar, I picked up a big bottle of it at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago. Poured myself a nice big glass of it and expected something along the lines of apple juice or apple cider. YOWEEE!!! That was/is the most repulsive substance I've ever experienced. It set my throat afire and took a few moments of complete horror! I tried toning it down by adding only about 2 tablespoons in a glass of cold water, but I just poured the big bottle down the drain. Horrible! I recall accidentally getting some gasoline in my mouth about 40 years ago, and up to now, I thought that was the worst, but now there are two substances in that category. :evil:
Hey Gary! Nice to catch up with you! 😄 Your apple cider vinegar experience sounds intense – that unexpected kick must have been quite a surprise. Gasoline and apple cider vinegar in the same category – that's quite a comparison! Looking forward to hearing more about your taste adventures. Feel free to share anytime! 🍏

Jim