Last minute trip

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Last minute trip

Post by Sam »

Thinking of a trip a day or two after Christmas and coming back New Years Day. We are in Memphis and looking at say NYC, Miami, Mexico, Phoenix or some beach in the Carribean, like Punta Cana. I have tried last minute hotel web sites and well, their prices are never cheaper than say booking.com, so we just pull up booking.com while we are on the road and get a deal that way. Any suggestions on any websites to look at for last minute flight deals? Or is it best to go through a travel agent, and I guess do you have one you can privately recommend?
pausted

Re: Last minute trip

Post by pausted »

Sam, if it were me I would be looking at cruise websites. There are 4 and 5 day cruises from ports drivable from Memphis (Galveston or New Orleans for example). In my opinion, cruises are a great, affordable vacation option. Covid restrictions present some additional requirements such as pre cruise testing but it’s not a big deal. We recently cruised and had a great time with no problems. Just a suggestion.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, I can easily recommend Fredericksburg Texas. It has a lot of visitors from all over the world, it seems. It's a very restful and interesting town not too big, plenty of things to do if you're just looking for a few days of R and R. Nearby destinations are very interesting also. For example, LBJ's Ranch in a National Park, a lot of great places to eat, etc.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

A cruise could work. Especially a three or four day cruise out of New Orleans, which is a 5 1/2 hour drive from Memphis. We could go in the day before and eat and then cruise. As far as Texas, we were thinking of the Dallas Fort Worth area and then driving over to Austin for the nightlife
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

We won’t be going anywhere any time soon. We haven’t visited the family in the UK for two years, but that’s fine with us since there’ll be plenty of time later to travel where we want. Patience is a virtue.
Bryan
jthomas1264

Post by jthomas1264 »

Hey Sam,

Gina and I planned a week in Paris (Christmas/birthday) for the week before Christmas but chose to postpone because of increasing restrictions. We are disappointed, but we will get there some day. We chose to do a four day cruise on Royal Caribbean instead, leaving Miami on the 17th and returning on the Monday before Christmas. Let us know if you can join the cruise.

Jay
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I love Miami. But I have a busy court schedule until the 20th
brothers

Post by brothers »

We recently - November - spent a couple of weeks in Hawaii visiting our family. Beats the heck out of anything else in my book. No hotel, no rental car. Just constantly surrounded by people we love, including 3 grandkids!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

73 thumbs up Gary
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

Love Hawaii! I was privileged to go there twice a year for a few years for work - I had clients on Oahu and the big island. Went with an engineer - we could get all our work done by 2:00 local time and spent many evenings driving around touring and trying different places to eat. The drive across the H3 tunnel that pops out looking at the north side of the island is amazing!

But - living in Austin I also love Fredericksburg. A lot of the Hill Country has a distinct Germanic flavor to it - very pretty. I learned this when we first came back to Texas - Chester Nimitz (WWII Pacific Commander) was from Fredericksburg. There is a neat museum there - I want to tour it ASAP. I have hear there is a full-sized PT Boat on static display - and I sure want to see that!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

@ Gene -

The museum at Fredericksburg is absolutely first class. I know because I knew the guy who was behind it. He told me about the PT boat and other artifacts. VERY much worth seeing. This fellow died a couple years ago. Top shelf gentleman. Navy 40 years.